The Biplane Forum > Biplane Technical Forums > Firewall Forward & Fuel System > Miscellaneous > The camshaft crapshoot

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:50 AM   #1
will moffitt
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 297 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Default The camshaft crapshoot

OK, it is not an aircraft engine, just an interesting observation. I bought this engine 15 years ago from a fellow that had it in his garage for 20 years with the cylinders full of oil. It is a flathead 4 cylinder sailboat engine with a design that dates to 1949. This is the early model that was built before 1969, how much before I have not researched the number. I opened it a couple months ago to check it out as a replacement for the tired engine in our boat. I was surprised at the condition and I would guess it only has a couple hundred hours on it. The rings were all stuck, but a slow fix. We put 11 hours on it last week on a 3 day trip, ( the wind never blows the right way for me), and it runs very strong.

will

craigslist 002.jpg  

Old 06-18-2017, 04:09 AM   #2
Larry Lyons
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 775 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Good on you Will. All I needed was a rebuilt transmission that the marina had fall, winter, and spring to do. SO, after waiting for the Mississippi to flood twice in that time span, snow to come and go, the core being rejected, spending four times more than budgeted, she was scheduled to be launched yesterday. NOT; due to the brakes failed on the launch vehicle so maybe next week!!!

Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

Always carry a knife with you. Just in case there's cheesecake or you need to put someone down!

Old 06-18-2017, 04:34 AM   #3
will moffitt
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Your not a powerboat guy are you Larry?

will

Old 06-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
SSkybolt

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I swore off all boats... I traded a Hatteras for a Stearman and recently told the Stearman past owner, he should do the same when he called me with problems on the boat. He wholeheartedly agrees. ESEB = Enjoy Someone Else's Boat, a motto to live by.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 790 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 537

"Hole in the water you pour $ into." There should be a similar saying regarding airplanes. The only one I recall was what a friend told me when I purchase a T6 project many years ago, "Most effective way to turn $ into noise yet invented by man."
2Cor5:17

Old 06-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
IanJ

Liked 206 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

I usually describe the plane as a hole in the sky you pour money into.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
cgzro
Peter Ashwood-Smith P

Liked 243 Times on 174 Posts

Get a seadoo.. fun , cheap and reliable. Used to have a bigger boat and what a pain. Seadoo is trivial to trailer, fits in my garage on a dolly, we can wake and swim off it and even take it on little road trips to see different lakes/rivers etc. Think I spent 9k on it 6 years ago and nothing since then. less gass to!

Old 06-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Knight Twister

Liked 889 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Castleman, is that a Continental flathead? I have one on my 50's era Lincoln Pipeliner. Has a fairbanks/morse magneto for ignition.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
TFF1
Registered Users

Liked 437 Times on 339 Posts

Have a Lincoln S4-200 with Continental and mag. Brand new 66. Belonged to my bosses dad who had a welding business. Bought a 66 Dodge 200 truck to put it on; his dad only took it off twice. I removed the welder a couple of years ago, but use it occasionally. Tried to move the truck last week; brakes frozen. Grrrr.
Lycoming sharing lobes on opposite cylinders don't help. Those lobes never get a break.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
will moffitt
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Twister View Post
Castleman, is that a Continental flathead? I have one on my 50's era Lincoln Pipeliner. Has a fairbanks/morse magneto for ignition.
No, it is an Atomic 4. Design from the late 40's hence Atomic. It is a flat head with the planetary/disk behind it that uses the same oil, oil pan (cast). Magneto was an option in the old days. The reverse gear will last 2 engines, very reliable. I had an online biz selling parts 10 years ago, Nuclear Engine. which did not make any money but I could work on boats 60 hrs a week if I wanted to but did not. 350# and about 25 hp. Runs very smooth. Mine is bolted direct to the fibreglass, no rubber, and when it is at idle you can only hear a little exhaust. They were killed in the early 80's by the kabota tractor engine conversions. Diesel seems to be a testrone thing. Everyone would parrot the fire hazard thing but I would ask them if they have propane heat/cook. I adapted a mallory dist and put electronic ignition in it. In 14 years hardly touched the engine except for the carb cleanout a couple times and the normal exhaust elbow replacement. Now let me tell you about my recent conditional inspection.......

will
Larry Lyons Likes This 
Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
Larry Lyons
Registered Users

I've heard of these little engines but not being a blow boater I've never encountered one. Sailing on the Mississippi is a study in contradiction. Current is never ceasing and crabbing in to the wind can be short lived due to the width of the river. There are quite a few sail boats up on Lake Pepin due to the river being several miles wide there but we don't see too many down here where the river runs less than a mile wide.

Always carry a knife with you. Just in case there's cheesecake or you need to put someone down!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #12
Knight Twister

Liked 889 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 84

deleted

Last edited by Knight Twister; 06-20-2017 at 03:42 AM.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #13
will moffitt
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

But Larry, nothing beats a quite anchorage laying on the foredeck with a gorgeous woman wrapped up in the headsail. But here we have to settle for the vberth as it is usually raining.

will
Larry Lyons Likes This 
Old 06-20-2017, 01:32 AM   #14
Larry Lyons
Registered Users

Ha Ha! The mighty "Big Muddy" has flooded twice in the last 7 months, so it looks a lot like Seattle around here most days!