The Biplane Forum > General Discussion > Hangar Talk > Source to water jet a 4130 bracket?

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
jetsareforkids
Registered Users

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

Default Source to water jet a 4130 bracket?

I need a new .090 4130 bracket for a wheel pant attachment and was thinking of having one water jet cut. Any recommendations on where to have it done? I've never had a part like this made, what is a usual price range for a single part roughly 5" X 3"?

Old 09-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

I would search for local waterjet facilities and ask them these questions. Then you have the advantage of using someone local. Prices are going to be roughly similar between different shops. You'll pay less if you can give them exactly the CAD file they want to program their machine, so a few questions up front about format and settings will be worth money to you.

I found at least three waterjet companies in the Seattle area when I did a cursory search via search engine. A call to one revealed that they didn't really have a setup charge per se, unless they had to do massaging on the CAD file. Then it was just some number of dollars per inch cut, if I provided the materials. I didn't make any more calls because I wasn't really at a point to compare prices yet, but I'd expect a similar setup in local Houston shops, and there are probably at least as many waterjet shops in Houston as in Seattle.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:28 AM   #3
littletootpilot
Registered Users

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

www.kalamazoowaterjet.com
I had the fire wall to my skybolt done here. they have done work for aviation before. they have worked with Waco aircraft company.
I was happy with there work and was very fast had it with in two day.

james
bearhawk project-sold

Old 09-23-2017, 02:32 AM   #4
wzm
Registered Users

Liked 30 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Draw it up as a dxf file, then call around and get quotes. Lead time and total price are important, some places run 4-5 week lead times, while other places will fit you in for $50 the same day. I'd expect $50 as a minimum, and you are more likely to get a quote of $100, water jet places need to turn your CAD file into pathing for their machine, so their labor is more then you might expect. Cut multiple parts at a time can reduce the per-part cost. In larger quantities, your per-part price is more likely to be around $5-$20.

If you have bends in your part, think about any holes that you may have. If you need holes to match up, consider leaving one hole uncut, and have the other cut as a pilot. If you cut both, it can be hard to bend the part such that the holes line up again. Water jet places have ~3-8 thousands accuracy, so don't expect closer tolerances then that. Some places are more accurate then others.

Finally, if it is an aluminum bracket, you might know someone with a CNC router table and be able to do it for free. CNC routers can do a great job on aluminum, and they are much more common then water jet cutters.

I've had good luck with www.jandlinnovations.com/ in my area, he mails finished work out, and seems to operate to really close tolerances.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:22 AM   #5
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

If you need to have a part cut out multiple times, the second and later times may be noticeably cheaper, because they've already got your part on file, so it's just a matter of loading some steel to cut and hitting the GO button. If that's true for what you're doing, ask your firm about it, to see if they do that, and how it affects the price or lead time.