The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Acrosport > Acrosport Miscellaneous > Rolling Left

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
MarkSchmitz
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Rolling Left

I recently conducted the first flight of my ASII. After 3 hours of flying and taking care of a few other issues, I'm working on a problem that requires me to hold significant right pressure on the stick to avoid a fairly hard roll to the left. I've re-checked the rigging on the wings and ailerons using levels and rigging boards. Everything appears to be lined up and according to specification. I also double-checked the tail and all is good there as well. In flight, when I hold the stick neutral so I'm in straight and level flight, I can see that the upper right aileron is deflected down 1/4" or so. The other ailerons are all in line with the wings. Curious because when it's on the ground, the ailerons are all lined up with the stick neutral. Suggestions on where to start or how to remedy?

Thanks -

Mark
N2JT

Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
smizo
BiP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2494 Times on 1202 Posts
Likes Given: 3602

hi Mark, how many rigging boards did you make and use? also, lets see some pics of your acro 2!

Tunkhannock, PA
MarkSchmitz Likes This 
Old 10-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
MarkSchmitz
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Hi Chris - I used three rigging boards. Now let's see if I can attach a picture...
IMG_5125.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
smizo
BiP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2494 Times on 1202 Posts
Likes Given: 3602

well that's certainly colorful and unique. very cool! when you did the top wing, ya cant really do it like a pitts because of the joints. you need one on the center section, one inboard on one side and one at the tip. then make sure all line up and that will get that wing straight with the center section, then do the other side that way. then you know your top wing is perfectly flat. then put one at each tip and one on the center section to check for twist.

http://www.biplaneforum.com/showpost...&postcount=685

if you hold the ailerons straight and they are in trail does the plane bank?

if yes the wings are twisted.

if you let go of the stick do the ailerons pull over to one side and the plane bank?

if yes its an aileron alignment problem.

oh, and did you build this from scratch, buy it or restore it? either way congrats on the first flight! huge accomplishment!!
Tunkhannock, PA

Last edited by smizo; 10-03-2017 at 08:33 PM.
MarkSchmitz Likes This 
Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Larry Lyons
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 775 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

That's a beautiful airplane!
Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

Always carry a knife with you. Just in case there's cheesecake or you need to put someone down!
MarkSchmitz Likes This 
Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
Cameron
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 555 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Send a message via MSN to Cameron

Nice ASII!
MarkSchmitz Likes This 
Old 10-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
PGE2015
Registered Users

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it was me with this issue I would check the tension in the flying/landing/ rudder wires. In flight the loads maybe causing a twist in either the tail or wing due to a difference in wire tension, if the aerilons are trailing and lined up under no load. I am thinking about 750 lbs tension is typical.
MarkSchmitz Likes This 
Old 10-04-2017, 01:14 AM   #8
Dennis Flamini
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 668 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 938

Mark,
Really nice looking Acro 2.
i just got back from Oshkosh and my right leg was numb from holding right rudder in level flight and the rigging for the 150 hp had the left wing low at the cruise speed of the 180hp. Today i removed 2 washers from the right rear i-strut and adjusted the slave strut to trail all ailerons.
i will also add a trim tab to the rudder which i had made several years ago but not found yet. As you know everything is set at zero, zero on the Acro but if you flew free flight models you added about 2 degrees down and right thrust to the engine mount.
i would start with rudder to hold heading in cruise and see if the wings are level, if not add washers to rear spar of the low wing until it flys hands off, then add trim to the rudder until it flys straight and level.Let us know how it works out.
Wilbur Wright said he "did not have time for both a wife and an airplane."
Which is the better portion -- bondage bought with a ring,
Or a harem of dusky beauties, fifty tied in a string?
MarkSchmitz Likes This 
Old 10-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
MarkSchmitz
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions! Based on the comments, I believe the biggest issue is an aileron alignment problem: With the ailerons held straight, there's no roll. When I release the stick, the ailerons deflect and it rolls to the left. Of course, there may be a combination of issues that will require some fine tuning by adjusting tensions, use of washers under the I-struts and so forth. I'll post as I work the problem.

Jim Triplett (RIP) of Ames Iowa was the primary builder and it was mostly complete when I bought it in May 2016. Jim had been working on it for several years in my hangar and I guess I got hooked. Being familiar with his craftsmanship and having prior hands-on build time with him made it a comfortable purchase. The bonus to the first flight was the enthusiastic response from Jim's widow when I called to let her know it had been in the air. She still brings people by the hangar to see it and that says something about its place in their lives.

Last edited by MarkSchmitz; 10-04-2017 at 01:11 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
iowaboy
Registered Users

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Mark that is a beautiful Acro Sport II! Good job on finishing it. I can see why Mrs. Triplett is happy to bring people to see it. It is sad that Jim did not get to fly in it. I hope I will get to see it some day at a flyin!

EAA biplane poject that I purchased
that has never flown.

Tags
aileron, rigging, roll