The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > SA-100 Progress

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:16 AM   #26
Dave Baxter
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 476 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default SA-100 More Progress

Tim This project I acquired had a lot of good things, but also many I did not like and for me needed to change. I have about a dozen things that need to be changed or modified, and in no particular order.

(1) Make and install wheel pants, brackets and "T " bars

(2) Fix repair modify main fuel tank

(3) Mount Fuel tank

(4) Make engine mount........... Done

(5) Make and install new bungee truss.... Done

(6) Make rudder pedal arms modify and install cessna pedals, mostly done

(7) Install throttle quadrant

(8) Make and install instrument panel

(9) Install controls stick push pull tubes and idler arms

(10) Make fire wall

(11) Modify head rest shorten glass in bulk heads floor, and baggage door

(12) Install seat belts, shoulder harness and crotch strap

(13) Install rudder horizontal stab, elevator, and rig tail wires

(14) Modify cockpit rear cross tubes and add 6" more inches to leg room, mostly done.

(15) Install wings and check flying and landing wire rigging.

Tim these are a few of the things I have been working on or plan to change.
Most of December was unproductive do to health issues, but am now getting on top of, my latest accomplishment is the rudder pedals made and converted to the cessna pedals.

I am not sure yet if I am going to shorten the lower aileron and add upper ones. I have everything to do it, but it would be a lot more work. Dave

SAM_0728 small.jpg   SAM_0733 small .jpg   SAM_0734 small.jpg   SAM_0736 small.jpg   SAM_0740 small.jpg  

SAM_0741 small.jpg   SAM_0742 small .jpg   SAM_0744 small .jpg   SAM_0745 small.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #27
TFF1
Registered Users

Liked 457 Times on 354 Posts

Why shorten bottom when the top ones can be long? It would be the envy of the SD 100 group.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #28
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 830 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 579

And Marcia thinks I have too many airplanes?

I think it's incurable? A month ago I was so happy the AD2 was finished and I wouldn't have to go to the airport EVERY day.

Now I'm seeing S1 Pitts projects that make my mouth water again. If anything pops up close I might be in trouble.....again
2Cor5:17

Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #29
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Send a message via MSN to Timbob

As usual, nice progress!

Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 AM   #30
Dave Baxter

Default Fuel Tank Progress

Buying a project that has had quite a number of builders can be a challenge. I have at least four bills of sale, but several others owned it in between. The guy I bought it from had it eight yrs and did nothing, he bought it for the engine to go on another airplane.

The basic airframe was well built as were the wings, but to make the changes I want and to fit me my list above is my road map. The fuel tank appeared to be well made, but one of the builders somewhere along the line in order to get it to fit inside the upper sheet metal cut down the rear top of the fuel tank and did so in a rather crude way see the rough cut baffles with the bent over ends ! I was going to make some changes for clearance at cabane roll tubes , upper engine mount bolts, and bungee cord installation clearance anyway.

So for myself having built quite a number of tanks back in the day for my airplane and son Dan's as well as several others over the yrs could not stand looking at what appeared to be a poor quality modification, so cut into it, and it is probably best I did. As the internal plumbing and venting for the upright and inverted system to the sump were not correct, and on top of that the aluminum tubing used was 2024-T3 that was welded in, 2024-T3 is not a weldable alloy. Also the flop tube and most of the AN fittings all had lots of Teflon tape, of which some remnants were loose inside the tank. Where the vent line fittings screwed into the tank if one used a regular AN fitting it would bottom out due to vent line welded to deep in the boss, so what they did to make it work was to cut down or shorten the fitting! Granted they are vent lines, but venting fuel flow and fuel cooling can be a big problem if not done properly.

So with Robins Illegal welding article it should remind everyone that when buying something that appears to be correct and airworthy may have unseen issues?
SAM_0756 small.jpg   SAM_0757 small.jpg   SAM_0763 small.jpg   SAM_0764 small.jpg   SAM_0766 small.jpg  

SAM_0768 small .jpg   SAM_0769 small.jpg   SAM_0771 small.jpg  

Last edited by Dave Baxter; 01-11-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #31
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Sure makes me glad I have the receipt for my AD2 tank from the Starduster Corp. Wouldn't be surprised if Dave made it?

I've had a few issues with other people's projects over the years and like Dave I usually decided,

When in doubt, start cutting......

One of the loudest sounds I've heard is silence, especially in aircraft that glide like tossing a brick out and following it down.

Jack

Last edited by EAABipe40FF; 01-11-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #32
Dave Baxter

Default SA-100 More Progress

Got my fuel tank finished baffles internal venting pressure tested cleaned and all of the installation hardware figured out., next the fire wall. Dave
SAM_0851 small.jpg   SAM_0852 small.jpg   SAM_0854 small.jpg   SAM_0857 small.jpg   SAM_0859 small.jpg  

SAM_0861 small.jpg   SAM_0863 small.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 02-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #33
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Send a message via MSN to Timbob

So, how much of that is original? Looks great, I have my SA300 tank out.....looking inside...not good! They added the main tank flange on the bottom of the side wing of the tank, cut a hole and riveted it in place with proseal. Turned it updside down to dry and the proseal dripped down leaving little stalagmites and stalagites after dripping to the other side...they just left them inside the tank! The also sloshed the tank with some other pitchy kind of sealer which leaked out through the heavy flange threaded screw holes used to secure the flop tube and the wing tank inlets.
Bit of a nightmare...I'm not giving up! The SA100 project I have looks like DaveB made it all, everything looks great!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #34
Knight Twister

Liked 922 Times on 595 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Looks great Dave. Might be the light or camera angle but it looks like that fuselage has 3/4" longerons.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:26 AM   #35
will moffitt
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 311 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Looks great Dave, wish the welding around the gas cap on mine looked as good as yours.

will

Old 02-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #36
Dave Baxter

Knight Twister Very observant my friend, as indeed they do. So do you have a Knight Twister, and did you know Vernon Payne? You know he worked for Starduster Corp back in the late 70s when Jim Osborn owned the business. He also did the design work on the mixer controls for the SA-101 Super Starduster that the Greens and Les Homan built. Dave
N191DG  Super Starduster one SA-101.jpg   N9116Y Super Starduster One small 1.jpg  

Old 02-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #37
Knight Twister

No Knight Twister here, that's my hollywood call sign for the biplane forum. I did weld up a KT fuselage and all the weldments for a friend. He is also the same friend who sold the KT rights and intellectual property to Hale Wallace. He acquired it from his old EAA chapter in CA. All of Vernon Payne's drawings, notes and anything else he designed that was on paper or vellum was included. From viewing what he left behind I can say that Vernon had a lot going on in his head. I compare him sort of to Burt Rutan, always thinking of the next thing. I have stick time in N2314C. One year at Rockford my dad and I were walking the flight line in the early morning. We were looking at the Stardusters and my dad was BS ing with Lou Stolp and a couple of other guys. Me, not being bashful and barely into the double digits in age asked if I could sit in the Starduster. Lou helped me into the cockpit and made a friend for life. Those kind of gestures make lifelong impressions. Even though I built a Pitts S1 and owned an S2A I still hold the Starduster and Lou in high regard.

Last edited by Knight Twister; 02-06-2016 at 08:52 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-14-2016, 05:27 AM   #38
Dave Baxter

Default More SA-100 Progress

Progress..

Head rest bulk head and support tubing inside, fire wall, sheet metal attach tubing with metal strips for attaching nut plates, upper sheet metal over fuel tank to fire wall, upper sheet metal from instrument panel to turtle deck, cockpit edge tubing, and mounting the windshield. Not quite finished but pretty well rough out.

Next instrument panel, throttle quadrants, seat belts, walnut stick grip, with push to talk, then wheel pant mounting, followed by side sheet metal, and landing gear fairings.

After this in the next month or so I will take it to the airport assemble rig it install the engine and prop and try to get a preliminary weight and balance prior to finishing up all of the many details and covering. It is just a whole lot of 15 minute jobs that each take about two and a half weeks to solve and finish right? Hope this inspires you guys to get busy..Dave
SAM_0892 small.jpg   SAM_0894 small.jpg   SAM_0897 small.jpg   SAM_0904 small .jpg   SAM_0906 small.jpg  

SAM_0908 small.jpg   SAM_0912 small.jpg   SAM_0917 small.jpg   SAM_0919 small.jpg   SAM_0939 small.jpg  

SAM_0979 small.jpg   SAM_0957 small.jpg   SAM_0980 small.jpg   SAM_0981 small.jpg   SAM_0982 small.jpg  

Last edited by Dave Baxter; 03-14-2016 at 05:34 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #39
will moffitt
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Like your engine turned firewall. Looks bright Dave. Did you do it yourself or buy it?

Will

Old 03-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #40
Knight Twister

Great work Dave. Like the w/s frame. Flat wraps look the best on Stardusters.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #41
skyboltone
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 81 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 70

It's great to see you feeling better and getting it done Dave. I've done exactly nothing over the Winter on my SA-100 having blown out my knee back in August to start. Then just when I was starting to get around again....on January 29th my extension ladder slid out from under me while putting a new roof on my camp trailer and I broke my back. They called it a compression burst fracture at L3 complicated by a hyper extension or something. I've never felt so old and stupid. I walked right up that ladder carrying tools and a new roof vent with no problems not three minutes before and then when I started back down the bottom slid out from under me like it was on ball bearings. I guess I fell about seven feet, landed stiff legged on flat feet and crushed my middle lumbar spine. I still don't have the slightest idea why or how because it happened so fast. The surgeon says I can expect full recover but she didn't say when. I'm almost a full inch shorter too.

I'll be re-assessing everything as I move forward with recovery on this. I'm hoping the surgeon will let me out of this flagging back brace later this week and we can move into physical therapy.

So no hijack intended. This seemed as good a thread as any in which to make my complaints and excuses. I'm so glad you are making progress. I just wish I had a hangar next to yours so I could walk over there and get those moments of clarity that only come from direct observation. That and some motivation.

Oh, and the good news is that I'm leaving my shared hangar at N86 (Spanish Springs Nevada, filthy with dust and grit and no electricity) and moving into a larger one that's all mine at Reno Stead. I've got a great bunch of friends from church that will be doing all of the work to accomplish that in about a week and a half. I hope.

The last of the world's great human beings. Just kidding......

Old 03-14-2016, 11:59 PM   #42
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Looking wonderful Dave.

Dan. I feel for you. The reason I stop will probably be my back but I've made it almost 10 years since my surgery. There was a time when building the Spezio, I'd work 20-30 min. and then lay under the wing recovering for a half hour, etc. etc..... I'll add you to my prayer list. Warm regards,

Jack

PS. For those who are dismayed by the process,

Dave said,

"...... It is just a whole lot of 15 minute jobs that each take about two and a half weeks to solve and finish right? Hope this inspires you guys to get busy..Dave "

Maybe not all of us are like this? I assure you I am. You just have to keep going. If not cutting metal, at least be thinking about exactly how to cut it.

Jack

Last edited by EAABipe40FF; 03-15-2016 at 12:15 AM.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:30 AM   #43
will moffitt
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

I compression fractured 3 of mine. A midair with the toilet in the middle of the night. Like most carpenters my back gave me trouble. Much better now, it took a year. I tell everyone with a bad back to have a midair with the toilet and it will cure it. I am an inch shorter also. Keep trying Dan, you might be like me, tremendous improvement.

will

Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 AM   #44
Dave Baxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleman View Post
Like your engine turned firewall. Looks bright Dave. Did you do it yourself or buy it?

Will
Yes Will I did it myself, stainless steel fire wall, a hi speed angle air motor and several new 3" coarse scotch brite pads with a reasonably steady free hand, honest! Dave

Old 03-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #45
Dave Baxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboltone View Post
It's great to see you feeling better and getting it done Dave. I've done exactly nothing over the Winter on my SA-100 having blown out my knee back in August to start. Then just when I was starting to get around again....on January 29th my extension ladder slid out from under me while putting a new roof on my camp trailer and I broke my back. They called it a compression burst fracture at L3 complicated by a hyper extension or something. I've never felt so old and stupid. I walked right up that ladder carrying tools and a new roof vent with no problems not three minutes before and then when I started back down the bottom slid out from under me like it was on ball bearings. I guess I fell about seven feet, landed stiff legged on flat feet and crushed my middle lumbar spine. I still don't have the slightest idea why or how because it happened so fast. The surgeon says I can expect full recover but she didn't say when. I'm almost a full inch shorter too.

I'll be re-assessing everything as I move forward with recovery on this. I'm hoping the surgeon will let me out of this flagging back brace later this week and we can move into physical therapy.

So no hijack intended. This seemed as good a thread as any in which to make my complaints and excuses. I'm so glad you are making progress. I just wish I had a hangar next to yours so I could walk over there and get those moments of clarity that only come from direct observation. That and some motivation.

Oh, and the good news is that I'm leaving my shared hangar at N86 (Spanish Springs Nevada, filthy with dust and grit and no electricity) and moving into a larger one that's all mine at Reno Stead. I've got a great bunch of friends from church that will be doing all of the work to accomplish that in about a week and a half. I hope.

Sorry to hear this Dan, we have all done stupid things and gotten away with it for the most part. My house needs all kinds of work it needs painting the roof and especially the gutters cleaned the lawn mowed, ( Did it once a couple of weeks ago when it wasn't raining, front and back ). But I would rather work on my airplane! Got side tracked today with a call for help at 8:00 am , and ended up fabricating and welding on Dave Aldreds Pacer all day, the one he uses for tail wheel check outs, and really takes a beating. It seems everyone that fly's the Pacer wants to land on the RH gear, instead of both, and with purpose. I have not made a career out of repairing it, but have made more than a few extra bucks over the last several yrs! Also have a stainless exhaust system to build for my doctor friend Pat B on his Starduster, it was originally mild steel and a one of a kind system that has been patched repaired and patched.

Pictures are of my old cross over fixture that I modified to make his, one of a kind exhaust. I built quite a few exhaust systems for RVs back in the day off of this fixture and it has been out side for yrs almost scrapped it a couple of times but have fixed or repaired several systems between this and my steel adapter plate that has most Lycoming engine exhaust patterns.

There are so many ways to get hurt or killed and airplanes are dangerous, and they are only one of many ways. But I have seen so many of my older pilot buddies hurt themselves by falling off their roofs or ladder from working on it or trimming trees, many of these guys were in good shape up until then.

SO ALL OF YOU OLD GUYS READING THIS BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHILE DOING SIMPLE THINGS AROUND THE HOUSE ESPECIALLY ON A LADDER, AS IT CAN BE EVERY BIT AS DANGEROUS AS FLYING!

Well Dan I wished you lived close by as well, Mike my partner also building a single place Starduster is doing pretty well on his. Both fuselages are in my shop, and all of our wings are in his hanger. Hopefully in a month or so after I get a few more things completed I can hang the engine install the wings tail surfaces and rig it, so I can see what it is going to look like and get some idea as to the weight. So having a place to work that is clean and convenient with all your stuff in one place really helps.

But then this is my carrot out in front of my nose that keeps me going and to see it on the gear with wheel pants sheet metal engine prop and spinner is a real incentive to keep hacking away. Dave
SAM_0964 small.jpg   SAM_0966 small.jpg  

Last edited by Dave Baxter; 03-15-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #46
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

I'm catching up around the house on the last 6-7 years of airplane building. I must admit that airplane building has been an incentive to work through the back pain issues......the house work very much less so. So far it seems Marcia is content to give me a day at the airport(flying now) for every 2-3 days working at home. Bath remodel, her mother living with us and now garden and grass will cut into the flying. Not that much of a problem as I can't afford too much gas anyway.......It seem the IO320 eats almost twice the fuel as the O290 since I'm keeping the power up breaking in a cylinder and flew the Spezio lean/slow most of the time. Glad I'm not breaking-in a IO540...
The Acroduster 2 is a blast even with the smaller engine. I don't want to throw rotten fruit at my old tu-holer, it has it's place but the AD2 is close enough to my old Pitts days to make me feel 30 years younger......

At least until it comes time to GET OUT of the darn thing!

Hang in there my friends, it's all worth it (as you already know X 3 or 4 Dave)

Jack

Old 03-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #47
will moffitt
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

My house is a race between getting it finished and a dirt bath. The wind and rain has been consistent here but maybe today will fly.

will

Old 03-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #48
Mike Harris
Mike Harris

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Through cancer surgery (Iím all better now!), neck surgery (my fat head crushed some disks), and back problems that seem to come with an excessive number of birthdays, the 2 or 3 days I spent with you and Dan and few hours we spent in your airplane have stayed with me.
And, they continue to motivate and add to the enjoyment of building my own bird.
Dave, I look for your input on every post; like so many others, I lurk a lot. Iíll be posting some progress of my own soon!
I promise.
Great to see you still moving ahead on increasing the StarDuster population!
Thanks Dave!
Mike

Old 03-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #49
Larry Lyons
Registered Users

Liked 787 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

I will double the "old guys on the roof" warning. A good friend and one of the BeachNut Formation flyers took a flying leap off his roof two years ago and spent over a year getting around on his one leg and his scooter. He is back flying now but it was a long haul back for him. He was about 55 when he took his tumble. And of course he is the prerequisite doctor, isn't it a law that you be a doctor to fly Bo's?
Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

In dog beers I've only had one!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #50
budlib
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default SA-100 progress

WOW Dave! Beautiful workmanship. You sure set the mark pretty high.

When the wx breaks and I get new rings in #1 cylinder run-in, I'd like to make the trip up to Scappoose to see your SD1. I'm already preparing myself for the let-down of seeing yours next to mine.

What engine & prop are you installing?

Best of luck and keep going!

Bud
Eagle Point, OR