The Biplane Forum > Biplane Technical Forums > Handy Resources > Metal Forming 101

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:03 AM   #326
Randy
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Metal Forming 101

Bill, never thought about the EAA how-to video's, thanks
I may end up with a doubler in the end but I think I will try to modify the video procedure a bit and try that.
I want opening panels on both sides of the AcroSport for access to rudder pedals, fuel system, etc. Hinged at the top, maybe a doubler at the bottom but lips on both sides. Not sure if I will be able to curve it even if I can make the lip ?
Thanks for the comments

Randy

Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 AM   #327
cwilliamrose
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1385 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think you'll be OK with a large radius curve. The jog may distort a little bit but not enough to be a problem. If I were doing this I'd try to form the the jog in the curved panel. How? I'd use the technique in the EAA video curving both the panel and the jog plate and run it through the English wheel making sure the curve is maintained as you form the jog. Probably not necessary for a gentle curve and I'd suggest you try it the simple way first.

Question: Why the hinge at the top? If I wanted an access to work through I'd want the hinge at the bottom unless I had a really good way to hold it open.

Project:Stretched Pitts S-1SS

Old 08-18-2017, 12:42 AM   #328
Randy
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Metal Forming 101

I may not be the brightest bulb on the chandelier but bottom hinged makes sense to me

Randy