The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Other Types > Marquart Charger > IanJ's Marquart Charger build thread

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #351
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

FWIW, my process right now is:

* Store epoxy components in ~40 degree temperatures
* Heat components in a hot water bath (probably 150 degrees to start, cooling rapidly) for several minutes, until runny
* Mix for about 2 minutes in ~50 F ambient temperatures, using an acid brush (mixture appears to be complete, no unmixed corners)
* Apply over 25 minute span

The resin heats up much more quickly than the hardener, and I have a feeling that the hardener is heating up to a runny consistency at the edge of the bottle, but leaves a more solid core in the center, since it can still be quite stiff to squirt out into the cup.

The obvious answer is to just keep the T-88 in a warm part of the house when it's not in use, so I'll start doing that.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #352
lakeracer69
Registered Users

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Any "tackyness" may also be attributed to "amine blush". Very common to epoxies. Wipe on some laquer thinner or acetone and it will disappear.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #353
Randy
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 59 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default IanJ's Marquart Charger build thread

I was tired of having to preheat West Sytems epoxy and hardener for an hour or so everytime I wanted to use it on kayaks.
Last spring my wife asked me to make her an insulated box to make yogurt and raise bread in. So I made two boxes, not exactly the same but they both work well. My epoxy heater is 3/8" plywood with 1" thick solid foam insulation glued inside. It holds a gallon of resin and a can each of fast and slow hardeners.
It has a porcelain ceiling outlet inside with 15 watt night light bulb. I have a rheostat on the outside to adjust the bulb for heat but it worked out that with the bulb on full it keeps my epoxy an even 80 degrees which is about perfect for epoxy. I also stuck one of those instant read digital cooking thermometers through the top to track the heat but with the temp. staying consistent with the bulb on full I don't need it.
Something like this would work for your glue. Preheating everyday gets to be an old story quick.

I tried uploading photos twice but failed, guess I am having the same problem others are experiencing

Randy

Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #354
IanJ

Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

Thanks for that description, Randy, I was considering building something like that as well. It would go over much better than bringing sticky bottles of industrial chemicals inside the house, from a social acceptability standpoint. I should have enough scrap material around to just build that without needing to hit the store, except for the bulb. LED bulbs are awesome, but they do not make great stand-in heating elements.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #355
Randy
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 59 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default IanJ's Marquart Charger build thread

I started with a 25 watt bulb - - way to big. By the time I turned it down to where it needed to be it went out. I accidentally found the bulb I am using at the lumberyard. It was called a 'night-lite'. Has a normal threaded socket fitting and the bulb itself is about the size of a large marshmallow. Like I said - full on is just perfect.
I could send the photos to you if I had your email address. I don't think photo's go out on PM's

Randy

Old 12-09-2017, 03:53 AM   #356
Beej
Creator of this place
BiP_ADMIN.png

Liked 622 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Good approach, Randy. Mine, was to have an old cheap microwave down the hangar; a quick 10-20 seconds with the two small bottles in there, worked wonders........
Get your biplane forum cap here

Old 12-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #357
Larry Lyons
Registered Users

Liked 798 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 1448

A cheap, quick, warmer box, already insulated is sitting down at your nearest big box store. We call them coolers! Drill a hole for the wire, mount your light bulb, presto; low temp cooker!
Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

In dog beers I've only had one!

Old 12-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #358
Kiwi
Registered Users

Liked 105 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotahp1 View Post
Iíve heard of people microwaving T-88? I assume do this before itís mixed.
Nah, after it's mixed, another burst for cure, then try to get the door open!