The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > Saber's Starduster

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:45 AM   #151
Larry Lyons
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 798 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 1448

Well done sir!!!!

Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

In dog beers I've only had one!
Dennis5678 Likes This 
Old 11-06-2017, 03:52 AM   #152
Saber
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 80 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well got about a hour on the SD Saturday, love flying it. Got to take the wife out for a little ride over the lake and mountains , her first open cockpit ride and my second. Having her onboard changed the CG and the landing flare, I find that I can hit the tailwheel first easy on this plane, seems to stall fairly slow and really doesn't just drop in. I have VG's on it and think they are really doing a good job but I don't have anything to gauge it by. I only have 1.5 hrs and 9 landings. I haven't done any airwork but the ailerons throw is fine so far.

People Like This 
Old 11-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #153
Saber
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

The temp came up to 48 today and I got to fly for a while, this is the most fun I've had in a airplane in years. I had tailwheel issues that I think are cured now. The bracket under the rudder post was lose by the thickness of a leaf. I welded in a piece of steel after testing the idea with shim's. I didn't think the plane was too bad handling on the ground but now life is good. I took the tailwheel apart, cleaned and set it up almost don't need brakes to taxi and land.
People Like This 
Old 12-05-2017, 05:07 AM   #154
Saber
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Flew 45 mins. Today, a little chilly but beautiful. I wish I'd finished a little earlier in the year but at least I've been able to get in a few hours in the SD. Did some stalls yesterday , for the first time, gentle and straight forward recovered instantly. Seemed to be going thru 50mph when in started to break, I'm guessing that the VG's help quite a bit.
this is the most fun I've had in a plane in many years.
IMG_4067.jpg   IMG_4061.jpg  
Cary Cumberland Likes This 
Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 AM   #155
Saber
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Ops, the first pic is upside down not us. Still haven't flown it enough to do any aerobatics.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #156
airplanegeek
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 96 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 59

sorry if this is a redundant question, but i am curious about your VG's. there was a thread about them here some time ago, and i just wondered about your experiance with them.

Enjoy the weather while you can!

"Focus on the journey, not the destination"

Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #157
mreinh3233
Registered Users

Liked 56 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 219

When you get a chance can you post some picks of your tail wheel and spring set up? I’m trying to set mine up with a new spring and am getting as much information gathered as possible before I commit to a new spring and all...

Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 AM   #158
Neil

Liked 781 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Sacandaga?
Plans #425

Old 12-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #159
Saber
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

The VG's are great so far. When I rebuilt the lower wings I changed the location of the VG's . They were about 1.5" further back than now. I felt that with the wing design they were out of the slip stream when the deck angle was increased. So having never flow this or any biplane in my life I'm guessing. I only did stalls once and only a couple, it flew into the stall smooth, aileron control was good and the airspeed was around 50 and just starting to get a shutter and nose starting to break. Recovery was instant when releasing back pressure. Landing I get to full aft elevator every landing and the tail wheel in touching first most of the time and very gentle, kinda like its floating in. On the video's the landing roll is about 5 sec w/o braking. I'm guessing with floating down the RWY , landing and roll out 1000' or so. That leaves it with either the VG's are doing there job or the airplane is just well designed because I'm not doing anything special, just holding it off until it lands.
I had a experience in a Piper Pacer that had VG's on it, wings and tail, that I credit with saving our butts on a engine failure allowing me to slow way down for a forced landing in the bush.
The tail wheel on this plane was a issue in itself. The plane had run off the RWY and hit something and smashed both lower wings. When I began looking for the reason for the mishap I feel it was the tailwheel. I personally don't believe ground loops are the pilot fault a very large amount of the time. Yes some airplanes are refuted to be ground loopers but not uncontrollable. Long story short the tail wheel was moving up and down about 2-3"'s alowing the spring enough room to twist on landing. I fitted a couple of spacer's into the bracket under the rudder post to remove the space allowing no movement. The first couple of landings were great then at the end of the second flight I had trouble keeping the plane straight, it had a right turn tendency. Upon inspection the shims were gone, I welded I piece steel and now it's a well manored airplane. I also took the T/W apart and cleaned and adjusted it. Set my springs and chains a tiny bit tight for the springs and a tiny bit loose for the chains ,I mean a tiny bit also. I'll post some pic's later today.

Last edited by Saber; 12-06-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #160
Saber
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Sorry Neil, yes it's Sacandaga, or airport is only a couple of miles south of the lake. 9NY7, Hines Field. I love it here, but can't wait to get back to Alaska. Our joke is we go south for the winter,lol, tonight they are forecasting 2' of snow up by Lake Ontario, 70-80 miles northwest. We don't get the big snow they get but enough. I'll be back in Alaska in Feb. , good time of the year there, not too many people in and out of the hangar then so you can get a good days work done.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #161
Neil

Liked 781 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Got 2" of snow about 80 miles south of us last night. Sort of strange for us.
Plans #425

Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #162
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 841 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 603

Better you than me...... At least on average it should melt fast. Of coarse I don't know what's average anymore?
2Cor5:17

Old 12-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #163
Saber
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

We dodged the bullet this weekend, NW of us about 50-60 miles got 2', Lake Ontario snow plume, and there is a small coastal storm 3-4" east of us. We are just cold and grey, the good old NE interior, but global warming should hit us by May and melt all the snow!

People Like This