The Biplane Forum > General Discussion > Hangar Talk > 2017 Eclipse

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #26
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 751 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAABipe40FF View Post
I'll get 83% total at home, good enough for me. Glad I bought that filter kit for the telescope.

I've learned more about a total eclipse and have discovered that my remark above was made in ignorance. I wish I had realized how incredible
they are and would have gone south. If not for the fact that I've driven an extra 1000 miles fetching my grandson in the last week I might have joined you but after driving him home yesterday afternoon another 800 mile round trip was not in the cards.

I wish all of you who have traveled to see the eclipse good weather and I envy you.

Warm regards,

Jack

2Cor5:17

Old 08-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #27
Knight Twister

Liked 865 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Hopkinsville,KY is the place to be for total eclipse. We are getting 96% in the Louisville area. The local TV stations are making sure I don't miss a thing. The 96% for me is 14:27 local.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #28
Larry Lyons
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 738 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

I didn't make it yesterday due to weather enroute. I was headed for Princeton, KY. Had to settle for 87% and hazy skies but really wanted the totality experience. The scientists say the difference between 99% and totality is 1,000% less light. However even at 87% the crickets started chirping!
Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

To reduce stress I do yoga. Kidding! I just drink beer wearing sweat pants.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #29
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 751 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Sorry you missed it Larry. I'm kicking myself for not cowboying-up and driving to SC last night. OTOH, life goes on.

I got my prop back from Sensenich, put back on and torqued Friday. I'll go try it in this evening. Experiencing a total eclipse would have been neat but then there is reality.
During the first 20 hours of phase 1 with the AD2 it ran like a good clock. It was my first turn-key airplane, the first one I hoped wouldn't be a money pit......

Oh well

Jack
2Cor5:17

Last edited by EAABipe40FF; 08-21-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #30
Cameron
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 535 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Send a message via MSN to Cameron

We had 94% here in Lexington,KY. It never really got very dark. Kind wished I'd traveled a little bit too.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #31
cgzro
Peter Ashwood-Smith P

Liked 232 Times on 166 Posts

We had 70% here in Ottawa. Had my entire team outside with home made pin hole cameras. Nice break.

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1503347382.478109.jpg
ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1503347403.156425.jpg

Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #32
IanJ

Liked 194 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

I watched from my corner sidewalk with a few neighbors. It was interesting, I think Seattle got 95ish percent totality. It definitely got dark, and it was a very bizarre darkness: it looked like full sun, but there just wasn't enough light coming down. I discovered that three layers of shade 5 welding goggles are enough to make the sun viewable, but the image quality stinks. On the other hand, the f/45 lens on my 5x7 camera did a good job of reducing the light to a reasonable brightness on the ground glass, though the image was only half the apparent size compared to looking through the disposable solar glasses most people had. We definitely got cold during the height of the eclipse, but there was no real change in the wind, and the various animals we observed didn't seem particularly bothered by it.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #33
TFF1
Registered Users

Liked 417 Times on 324 Posts

A friend sent this to me st 43000. U2 was in his area
image.jpg  

Old 08-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #34
Dave Baxter

Liked 424 Times on 251 Posts

Dan and I were up in my airplane, level at 5500' over Sheridan Oregon pretty close to the center line circles to the left. On our west bound track it started with a blue haze, and by the time we were headed south it started to get dark as we continued on south the lights of the city of Monmouth and Independence, about 15 miles away came on. It lasted a lot longer than I thought it would, a once in a lifetime thing from an open cockpit biplane. I think we got some useable video, but not as much as I had hoped, will not know till its edited and put together, but at least we got some of the event. Will try to post it at a later date. Dave

Old 08-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #35
Knight Twister

Liked 865 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Our 96% in floyd county Indiana was pretty good. Got dark enough to notice. My wife was a couple miles away herding 4th graders around and making sure none of them looked at the sun without glasses. I told my wife it was like a Stephan King movie around here for 20 minutes or so.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #36
RickRice
Registered Users

Liked 160 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Jim and I flew the RV to Paducah today and we orbited in a big hole in the clouds, from about 5 minutes before totality, until about 5 minutes after. It was absolutely incredible. I was flying, so I don't have any pictures, but I'll post them after Jim sends them to me. One of the most memorable events of my life.

I went from thinking it wasn't a very big deal, to being completely impressed. The 2+ minutes of total eclipse were dramatically different than the pre- and post-totality. The clouds added to the grandeur. No way I'd have wanted to be on the ground. It was like flying at night, but with just faint enough background light to be able to see most of the clouds. In one direction, it was dark enough to have flown into the obscured clouds without being able to see them, or at least we couldn't see them from the distance we were from them. In my opinion, the clouds added a lot to the experience, and I think Jim feels the same way. We were at 9,500 MSL, circling, slightly above most of the clouds, but with some taller cumulus stuff sticking up a fair altitude higher than us.

All the lights below in town turned on, we could see stars directly overhead, and it was plain and simple fantastatic. One of my favorite and most memorable experiences.

We were so enameled with the view that we forgot to turn on the GoPro until we were well into the darkness, so not sure if we'll have any video, but I'll post whatever is worthwhile.

I'm so glad I did it. If you EVER have an opportunity to see a total eclipse, I highly recommend it, and if you have the opportunity to see it from the air in a plane with a bubble canopy that provides an unobstructed view, JUMP on it. The experience will be something you'll remember for a lifetime.

All of this to prove that monoplane RV's really are useful after all!!!
People Like This 
Old 08-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #37
SteveN452
Registered Users

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Send a message via MSN to SteveN452

We were just South East of St. Louis at Columbia, IL. We got to see the total eclipse for somewhere just over 2 minutes. Using the special glasses to see the eclipse form was neat, but when it got to the total and we could take off the glasses, it was extremely impressive! We had to be careful to get the glasses back on after the 2 minutes or so, but it was easy to see when the sun rays began to come out from behind the moon. Certainly glad we got to experience this!

Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 AM   #38
castleman
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 486

We have an extremely active dog. He was moping around like the wife had beat him. It was a weird kind of semi sunshine.

will

Old 08-22-2017, 12:55 AM   #39
crankyklingon

Liked 632 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I saw it.
It was unbelievable!! The totality was utterly awe inspirit. The reactions of the people around us as it happened added to the experience.
What you don't realize if you've never seen it is just what you're missing.
We went to a place in the country just south of Columbia right on the center line if totality.
Right up to 99.9% the sun still looks like a big orange ball unless you look at it with the special glasses. With the glasses you see the moons disc moving across the sun. It gets a bit darker and you don't feel the suns rays on your skin anymore.
Then in an instant the sun disappears.
A big black hole in the sky with a brilliant ring around it is all you see.
It stays that way for two and a half minutes. Unchanged until a needle of light appears on one side of the black hole then just as suddenly as the sun disappeared it reappears. Now it gradually gets brighter, the orange ball growing steadily.
Nothing matches the spectacular scene of totality.
I took a picture of myself, my 79 year old mother and my 13 year old niece during totality. Our faces are lit by the kerosene lantern Jordan is holding. The shadows are from the street lights in the parking lot.
File Type: jpg 1503363330226.jpg (54.4 KB, 152 views)
People Like This 
Old 08-22-2017, 01:15 AM   #40
Larry Lyons
Registered Users

Liked 738 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Awesome picture Rob, I gave serious thought to be flying during the eclipse. I have 6 years to get ready for the next one that crosses over Carbondale again.
Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

To reduce stress I do yoga. Kidding! I just drink beer wearing sweat pants.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #41
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 43

We decided to fly "all up in there" yesterday...

https://youtu.be/wXajAgZ3fBk

Old 08-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #42
jpr
Figured out how to edit this.
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Flew the bus down to MDH with my brother and a friend. We got really lucky on weather with TCU - getting out of there was a bit of a nightmare, but we got home safe eventually.

Here's one my brother took:
IMG_7612.jpg  

AcroSport II #881 since mid 2016.
People Like This 
Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #43
grassroots
Premium Member

Liked 832 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I flew down to Triple Tree in SC for the eclipse fly in. About 500 planes showed up. Amazing place and great experience. I never would have appreciated the monumental difference between 99.9% and totality if I'd not made the effort to get out of NC for this. Look up Triple Tree Aerodrome if you're unfamiliar. 7,000' of the smoothest grass I've ever landed on.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #44
freerangequark
Mostly harmless.

Location: Buffalo Grove, Illinois. Based at C77 Poplar Grove Airport
Liked 408 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Watched the eclipse from the bank of the Snake River on the Oregon/Idaho border.

WOW!!!!!

The difference between 99.9% totality with glasses on and 100% with glasses off is like night and day. I've never seen anything so stunning in the sky!

This biplaneforum.com posting is written using 100% post-consumer recycled data. Please consider the environment and recycle this data after use.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #45
IanJ

Liked 194 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

I'm definitely planning on being on the line of totality for the 2024 eclipse. Ideally in an airplane with another pilot, so we can take turns flying and looking at the sky. I want to see if I can see the big shadow approaching over the earth.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:41 AM   #46
Flyboyeaa
Registered Users

Liked 85 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Send a message via MSN to Flyboyeaa

https://www.facebook.com/kyle.bushma...3582895340448/

We flew my RV 40 miles north to get into the totality. My copilot made the video.