The Biplane Forum > General Discussion > Hangar Talk > East Coast Aerobatic Contest

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
race38
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Location: Owings, MD Based @ MD22 at the DEALE Intersection unhappily inside the SFRA.
Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default East Coast Aerobatic Contest

Posted a small bit under the Cameron Grossl thread.
Was conscripted into service as a judge at HWY for the weekend. Great contest with lots of great flying.
Unlimited:
1st Eric Sandifer Pitts S1S
2nd Adam Cope 1D
3rd Krista Paradis 1D

Advanced:
1st Jason Flood Pitts S1
2nd Dave Taylor Staudacher
3rd Mark Stewart Panzl

Intermediate:
1st Eric Anderson Pitts S1
2nd Danny Bond Pitts S1 Wolf Wings
3rd Larry Macon Pitts S2B

Sportsman:
1st Andrew Messenheimer Pitts S2C
2nd Glen Becker Pitts S1SE
3rd Greg Stringer Bucker Jungmann

Primary:
1st Dexter Klock Super D
2nd Brady Lesko Cessna Aerobat
3rd ______ Cessna Aerobat

Fun watching the Aerobat fly especially with to full size humans in it. Job well done.
I forgot the 3rd place Primary's name. I'm sorry.
Had an emergency landing, Angelo Cillarto broke his throttle cable, fortunately it was WFO vs closed. He made it coarse and shut it down over the numbers with no problems. Good flying, and stayed calm.
Bill Finagin chief judged and kept us all in and on the line.
Adam Cope and Krista Paradis worked endlessly to bring it all together.
Tony??? Where are you??? You boycotting all of IAC? Missed ya brother!!

Clipt Cubby
Tailwind
Pitts project on deck

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
Hova
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

awesome job to all the Pitts beating out everyone else!

Old 09-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
grassroots
Premium Member

Liked 870 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Honorable mention are a couple more BF'ers, Chris Meyer and Igor (Ilikeitinverted). Igor placed 4th out of 8 in his 2nd Sportsman contest and Chris was flying first time Sportsman and flew nice 2nd and 3rd flights after a hiccup in the first. You guys have come along nicely.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
Bond007
Registered Users

Liked 54 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pitts s1s rules,beating out the Monoplane weirdos,in unlimited.
Or it just could be Eric S skill level
Danny 007

Old 09-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
flyrite

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by race38 View Post
Tony??? Where are you??? You boycotting all of IAC? Missed ya brother!!
Hated to miss it Mark, but I figured all you Northeast Yankees couldn't stand but so much southern sunshine per year so I'm constricted to come that way just once and that'll be FarmVille.
Hope to see you there .

Old 09-11-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
race38

Location: Owings, MD Based @ MD22 at the DEALE Intersection unhappily inside the SFRA.

You're calling that sunshine?😜😜😜😜
Good Lord willing, well the gov't will have something to say as I start jury duty that week.
I'm planning on it anyway.

Clipt Cubby
Tailwind
Pitts project on deck

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
Eric_Anderson
Registered Users

Liked 371 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Default "After Action" Report I sent out to Chapter 58

Dear IAC 58,

My reporting on how 100LL can be converted into noise to the entertainment of pilots and judges continues, this time at Warrenton, VA (KHWY) on a truly spectacular weekend. *The weather gods looked gladly upon the East Coast Aerobatic Contest just as they had at the*Kathy Jaffe a couple of weeks before. *As singular as I thought the weather was then, this may have been better if for no other reason than for a cross-box wind that kept the flying interesting. But before we dive in let me digress a bit about how I am trying to learn from all possible sources how to manage a thriving chapter in ways that match one’s own personality without risking the obvious success that precedes me*. *(Stay with me, this will be quick). *We recently had an internal discussion about what to do with our trailer which would normally store all our contest gear but hasn’t been needed for years thanks to storage at Wildwood provided generously by Will Morey. *Ultimately we decided to sell it instead of watching it rust further. *Contests require a lot of stuff. *And much of it doesn’t last more than a few seasons. *A case in point is how every contest requires a tent for the judges line. *I don’t believe I have ever seen a chief judge use that tent. *Nonetheless I have seen a bunch of them (tents, not judges) buckle under the forces of wind or overnight rain at no small expense to the chapter running the contest. *Chapter 11 cried, “Enough!” ...and bought a Grumman Albatros.

{Photo of volunteers under the shade of the Albatros}

As you can see, Chief Judge Bill Finegin (left, red cap) is keeping himself comfortably in the shade of the massive wing. *I didn’t ask if the Albatros is actually airworthy but wouldn’t it be great if you could fly this durable shade to the aid of any Contest Director tired of forking over $100 to Walmart every other contest? *One may question the practicality of such a drastic solution but you can’t argue that Chapter 11 president Adam Cope was really thinking outside the box (ahem). *Another reason that the Albatros may have been needed was that it happened to be parked at the new box center, the box having been relocated several hundred yards southeast due to noise complaints. *I had doubts about the new location. *Previously a big silo almost perfectly marked the center. *The new box is actually nicer from the competitor’s perspective because more of runway is now within the inside X boundary. *This year’s ECAC was an important last step before Nationals for Jason Flood (IAC 52), Dave Taylor (IAC 11) and Angelo Cillroto (IAC 58), all competing in Advanced. *Dave Taylor’s Staudacher was flyable but showing some signs of a firm landing from a few days before. *Blair Mohn’s accident this spring was a real eye opener for everyone. *Whether the airplane is new to the pilot as was Blair’s CAP to him or a machine one has flown thousands of hours, when the prop stops the pilot will be in very unfamiliar territory. *I had considered trying a dead-stick myself after witnessing Blair’s landing but decided against it when I had to honestly admit to myself that the throttle saves my bacon from a bad splat several times a year. In my appraisal of my own skill, it just wasn’t worth the risk. *For Dave (who placed first at Nationals in Intermediate last year), the risk was in not knowing once the inevitable happens. *The resulting landing splayed the gear springs out enough to break the drain nipple at the bottom of the left brake. *I only mention this because our own Angelo Cillroto had to face something similar at the end of his Free on Saturday. *When he tried to reduce the throttle as he exited the box the lever moved back but the engine took no notice. *As improbable as it sounds, the cable had separated somewhere in the housing between the control and the firewall. *Angelo positioned himself in the pattern and pulled the mixture. *The resulting “Bang!” put all eyes on his Extra as he slipped in for a very nice deadstick in front of the judges. *He had placed 1st in both the Known and the pre-deadstick Free but had to scratch for the Unknown the next day. *No word yet if the plane will be ready for Nationals. *Jason Flood flew consistently well placing 2nd to Angelo for both the Known and the Free and 2nd to Dave Taylor for the Unknown. *And that was enough to take 1st place with 77.91% (pretty impressive for Advanced).

Adam Messenheimer flew his Pitts S-2C through a commanding performance in Sportsman, particularly with a contest-high score of 86.19% for his Free. *Glen Becker was less than a percentage point behind to take 2nd. *But my heart was with Greg Stringer and his beautiful Bucker Jungmann. *I mentioned my Giles fetish in my previous letter but, if anything, my Bucker fetish is worse. *Seeing those big, swept yellow wings draw graceful lines in a blue sky is alone worth all the sunburn. *But judges don’t (or at least shouldn’t) have fetishes so Greg had to settle for 3rd out of seven in the category. *

In Primary, Dexter Klock flew his Super-D to take 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively for the three sequences and won overall with 78.80%. *Maybe just as important for Dexter was watching his new Pitts S-1S fly with Danny Bond at the controls in Intermediate. *We’ll come back to that in a minute. *Have you ever watched two big dudes fly aerobatics in a Cessna 150 aerobat TOGETHER? *Well now I have and, while it wasn’t terribly exciting, it left an impression. *Bill Finegin knows more about competition aerobatics than anyone in my circle but, before this weekend, I don’t think he had a clue that Cessna once made such a thing (or maybe should have made such a thing). *Allowance had to be made for the twenty minute climb to 3,000 feet as Brady Lesko and Dave Stanton each took their turns at the controls. *Once there, they flew well enough to take 2nd and 3rd within a fraction of a percent of one another. *Dave flew particularly well winning both the Free and Unknown.

I am a hot or cold flyer. *When I am hot I have a rhythm that can pay off but which comes with a bunch of nervous aggression. *When I am cold I will confuse a hammer for a humpty or fly an entire sequence the wrong way without realizing it. *So consistency might not be my thing. *Larry Macon (IAC 58) on the other hand wins by flying smoothly and with consistency. *I mention this because Intermediate can be funny this way. *Advanced and Unlimited are so difficult that it is rare for a competitor to fly clean through a whole contest. *But with Intermediate, flying clean is not only possible but essential. *The pilot who manages no zeros will very likely be in the top three. *That happened at Warrenton with just 2% separating Larry at 3rd, me at 1st and Danny Bond at 2nd. *Danny was flying with a pretty severe handicap having only flown N88UM a handful of times prior to the contest. *He completely rebuilt the Pitts practically from the wheels up for Dexter Klock including a gorgeous set of Wolff wings. Just changing a tire is a challenge for me so to see those beautiful wings and know that two hands cut, stitched, glued, primed, painted and rigged them to make a machine that hasn’t flown since the 80’s become a beast in the box is hard to fathom. *Those wings make it a very different machine than stock. You can see Danny’s learning curve in the scores: *5th in the known, tied for 1st in the Free and 2nd by a point in the Unknown. *The progression will continue in Farmville in October (if Dexter will let him fly it).*

I first saw Eric Sandifer (IAC 19) and Adam Cope fly Unlimited at Warrenton last year. *They either did so on a whim or a dare or maybe to give a perspective “legitimate” Unlimited competitor a reason to come to the contest. *Anyone could see that they were struggling. *It wasn’t a question of skill so much as horsepower and roll-rate. *Unlimited ceased being the playground for four cylinders back when that Albatros was still in service. *A month later we watched the two go at it again at the Mason-Dixon Clash at Farmville, VA. *I remember overhearing one anonymous judge state that it was like watching a monkey have relations with a football (or words along those lines). *That is an act I may never have the good fortune to witness but with a little imagination one could agree how what was happening in the box might look and sound similar. *That was then. *This year they all flew like Unlimited was a legitimate playground for a stock Pitts and a One Design. *I say “all” because in the intervening months they pulled Krysta Paradis up into the category. *And she kicked butt until the Unknown. *Adam and Krysta had the duel responsibility of running the contest (which they did really well) and learning that cruel Unknown. *That’s when both lost it. *But before that Krysta just killed the Known with 72.12% and Adam did the same to the Free with 69.12%. *Eric placed 2nd, 2nd and 1st to win with 66.65%. *That score puts him within reach of the top three Unlimited competitors in the country who fly regional contests. *Go, monkey, go!

{Pano photo of the flight line.}

Before I sign off I should mention that our own Tom Barrett (T-bone to his friends), who CD’s the best contest in the Northeast (you know the one), drove down just to help on the judges line.

I camped again. *During the day this young bull made quite a vocal protest at my presence. *But in contrast to last year where the cows just wouldn’t leave me be. *This year they stayed away. *The smell, maybe?

{Photo of my goofy mug with a bull leering at me from behind a fence}

*Again, Blair is still running the chapter. I am just posing!
People Like This 
Old 09-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
Eric_Anderson
Registered Users

Sorry for the formatting issues above. Should still be readable.

Dave Staunton is the name of the 3rd place Primary.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
Eric_Anderson
Registered Users

Hey Mark. It just occurred to me that I sent a "shout out" to T-bone for driving down to judge and left you unmentioned. I am really sorry about that! You shall not be forgotten again!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #10
PittsDriver68
Registered Users

Liked 952 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Albatros is airworthy. I understand that preflight is a 45 minute affair that involves walking from wing tip to wingtip way up in the air. Don't slip on the oil behind those radial engines.

Sounds like you had fun.

Wes
Eric_Anderson Likes This 
Old 09-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
flyrite

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good write up Eric, enjoyed learning the details . Thanks for taking the he time to transport us there .
BTW ....You really should put this write up on the exploder also, well-done very informative maybe adds excitement to the competition maybe some interest .

Last edited by flyrite; 09-12-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Eric_Anderson Likes This 
Old 09-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
Eric_Anderson
Registered Users

The Albatros
IMG_1619.jpg  

Old 09-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
race38

Thanks for the honorable mention. I try to remain forgettable, easier to duck the bullets from competitors!!!

Clipt Cubby
Tailwind
Pitts project on deck

Eric_Anderson Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #14
race38

I almost forgot to mention that Curtis flew his Pitts down to hang out for a while. What a beautiful airplane. Thoroughly enjoyed the meeting and getting to chat. Look forward to the chance to hang out with you guys some more.

Clipt Cubby
Tailwind
Pitts project on deck

Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #15
Eric_Anderson
Registered Users

It is a masterpiece.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #16
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 830 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 579

This one? Indeed!

Except for the grass growing up the wheel pant, if he doesn't want to fly it I will.

Jack
100_2185 (800x597).jpg  
2Cor5:17

Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #17
Larry Lyons
Registered Users

Liked 787 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

I met Curtis at Oshkosh this year and got to see his plane, what a beauty! Truly a work of art!
Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

In dog beers I've only had one!

Old 09-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #18
Eric_Anderson
Registered Users

The hump on the wing is a BRS for those who don't know.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #19
crmeyer
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
Honorable mention are a couple more BF'ers, Chris Meyer and Igor (Ilikeitinverted). Igor placed 4th out of 8 in his 2nd Sportsman contest and Chris was flying first time Sportsman and flew nice 2nd and 3rd flights after a hiccup in the first. You guys have come along nicely.
Thanks for the kind words and helpful tips, Eric (and Mark. And Danny, etc.). I had a blast and am looking forward to Farmville!

Chris