The Biplane Forum > General Discussion > Hangar Talk > Cessna 180

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #26
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 139 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The Float Plane guys (I know or have talked with) avoid them due to overheating issues. The one I flew has been in the plane since '55 I didn't see anything in the logbook that would indicate any "issues". For me, it's purely a resale issue and really only on the planes that were built with a Factory Float Kit. If it doesn't have a Factory Float Kit then I consider it a none issue.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #27
jmorgan

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusav8r View Post
...only on the planes that were built with a Factory Float Kit. If it doesn't have a Factory Float Kit then I consider it a none issue.
Just curious what the float kit has to do with engine overheating issues? Is it just that the target resale audience for the plane is the float guys?

Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #28
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r

Liked 139 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The Factory Float Kit doesn't cause the overheating issue..

The Factory Float Kit planes are more desirable for some (even if one isn't going to put them on Floats) as the ones without the Kit can't be easily put on floats and it's expensive to add the Mod, this is a factor in their overall desirability and value.

The Folks I know/have spoken with that fly the Float Planes say the J Model is avoided with the Floats due to the engine running hot. They seem to all pretty much acknowledge that it isn't an issue unless operating on Floats. They also say the 88" Float Prop isn't needed unless the plane is on Floats and actually doesn't perform as well off Floats as the Standard Prop.

So my "take" from it, for purely a resale, if the plane I am looking at doesn't have a Float Kit, then it's really a non- issue. I'll factor the lack of the Factory Float Kit in when figuring out what it's worth to me.

If it does have a Float Kit then the J would affect "who" would be interested in it, so it would/could affect resale value, I'd probably think of it as a plane none of the Float guys will want, even with the FFK.