The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > Wright 760 normal oil leaks

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
78bonanza
Registered Users

Default Wright 760 normal oil leaks

Our 760 equipped Navy N3N has seemed to begun leaking oil more than in the past . After a mineral spirit wash down it is still not apparent . Push rid tubes look ok, maybe a bit from a lower valve cover . Oil appears to be landing from above on the center air intake and blowing back on the fuselage.
Any ideas from other 760 owners?

Old 06-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 749 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 493

I know nothing about a Wright(wish I did) but have experienced hard to find leaks. Never used it myself but there is a dye that can be added to oil visible in black light used to trace leak to it's origin.

Jack

PS. Forgot, I have worked on a Wright but not on an airplane. We had a WW2 M7 105mm self propelled How. at APG. It had a Wright R975 in it........

2Cor5:17

Last edited by EAABipe40FF; 06-16-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
bf92
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 298 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 7

After running the engine to warm it up, leave it in the hangar overnight with the cowling off, and a clean floor underneath. The next day use a plumb bob over the spots on the floor, and the string will take you directly to the source. I found about six leaks on my M-14P this way.

Danny
Old 06-17-2017, 01:07 AM   #4
wacoc8
wacoc8
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I own and operate a R760-E2. The lower valve covers of cylinders #4 and #5 seep oil due to the fact there is no case sump on a Wright, but you already know this. A couple of years ago on my way to Blakesburg I developed a leak that was really pissing me off because I could not find where it was coming from. I was getting oil down the left side of the accessory cowl and while it looked bad it was probably less than a cup of oil. After putting a wrench on everything that requires a wrench I finally touched this Allen plug which is located in the case right behind cylinder #5 and #6, making it right in line with the oil pump. It was loose and could be moved by hand. No visible oil coming from the plug but once the case was pressurized it sure did leak. Just something to check.
IMG_0265.JPG  

Old 06-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
78bonanza
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacoc8 View Post
I own and operate a R760-E2. The lower valve covers of cylinders #4 and #5 seep oil due to the fact there is no case sump on a Wright, but you already know this. A couple of years ago on my way to Blakesburg I developed a leak that was really pissing me off because I could not find where it was coming from. I was getting oil down the left side of the accessory cowl and while it looked bad it was probably less than a cup of oil. After putting a wrench on everything that requires a wrench I finally touched this Allen plug which is located in the case right behind cylinder #5 and #6, making it right in line with the oil pump. It was loose and could be moved by hand. No visible oil coming from the plug but once the case was pressurized it sure did leak. Just something to check.
Thank you . Will do

Old 06-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #6
yellow peril
Registered Users

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts

Take all the vale covers off and true them up with 400 grit sandpaper on a 1/4" plate glass. Get a set of orange silicone gaskets. another leaker is around the starter gasket. Ours always wanted to dribble out the nosecase around the crank. For some reason we were always having to tighten the nuts around the ring there. One leaky pushrod tube will make a real mess. Biggest thing I did was the valve covers. After that you could clean it up with half a rag after running for a couple hours. We also had a quick drain on the bottom of the sump and would hook a hose down to a two gallon oil container and would just pour it back in on pre flight. It would drain a gallon or so over the course of a week or two. Also leave the prop so that #6 cylinder is top dead center so the bottom cylinders don't fill with oil. The N with the Lyc is a great flying airplane and I really enjoy them. Don