The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Other Types > Marquart Charger > Wing Assembly

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
williamnear
Registered Users

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wing Assembly

I'm in the process of restoring a Charger and specifically right now I'm working on a lower left wing. I'm wondering if anybody has ideas on how they assemble their wings and specifically putting in the 10 sweep. How did you jig it to ensure that all wing ribs maintained the 10 degree angle relative to the spars?
Thanks
Bill Near

Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Beej
Creator of this place
BiP_ADMIN.png

Liked 556 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Moved to its own thread.

Get your biplane forum cap here

Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 194 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

Sounds like a job for a lot of triangles of 2x4 cut to 100 degrees with clamping flats on the diagonal side. I'm very interested to hear the real method though, since I'll be running into this in the next year or so. Another way might be to cut long spacer blocks (again, 2x4s) to run alongside spars, with the ends cut at 10 degrees off square and of the right length to space ribs correctly.

JimC will hopefully chime in with his build experience.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
TFF1
Registered Users

Liked 416 Times on 323 Posts

Are you doing just one wing or all? If just doing one, check all the rest for errors on sweep. Wine perfect wing at 10 deg and three at 8 deg will not match so well. Make sure you restore your airplane not just build to plan. All planes have errors that don't matter performance wise but will fit wise.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
corkey
540 Skybolt N808JJ

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Ian,

You should come to my shop soon to see the construction of a 6.5 deg. Skybolt upper. I can show you what I'm doing. Not sayn' it's the best way, but it's pretty accurate. And the methods are simple.

Tim.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
IanJ

Liked 194 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

I'd like that. When I get my tailwheel situation sorted out, we should find a likely date.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #7
corkey
540 Skybolt N808JJ

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Fly into 7S9 and I'll meet you there.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
williamnear
Registered Users

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

The lower left wing has evidence of multiple injuries including a ground loop (mea culpa). The plane has had several owners. The lower left wings spar has had several patches to it so I felt it would be a better idea to just rebuild the whole wing. I have all of the ribs needed as well as a complete set of Ken Brock fittings. A lower longeron appears to have a small bend in it. The skins around the cockpit have had multiple different modifications done to them so they're looking pretty ratty and need to be redone. If anybody has pictures of how they got the wing rib alignment, that would be a big help.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:43 AM   #9
jrs14855
Premium Member

Liked 253 Times on 194 Posts

Default Wings

For the Pitts I do it mathematically with Trig. On a plywood surface draw a line to represent the fuselage fittings if they are parallel to the fuselage centerline. From this line draw a line in front of the wing square to the first line. compute the 10 degree angle from Trig tables and mark the 10 degree reference. Draw a parallel line to represent the front surface of the front spar. Mark all your rib locations on front and rear spars and mark reference lines for outer surface of each rib. Make some clamping blocks from shelf brackets with some soft lumber screwed in place. Screw to table. Clamp the front spar with a couple of these blocks locating the spar parallel to the 10 degree mark. Likewise for the rear spars. Now slide each rib slightly away from the mark and apply glue. Slide rib back in line with the reference marks. If the ribs are spruce capstrip, some nails thru the vertical members into the spars.

I got this out of sequence, slide the ribs in place before clamping spars. make sure the inboard end of spars is lined up with reference marks. This will put you very close to what you want. When you install the drag/anti drag wires/struts you will make the final fine adjustment using trammel points on a long bar. You should also verify the sweep of the other lower wing referencing the table marks.
This is pretty much generic wood wing construction. I have used it on the Pitts and Starduster, also the Wittman Tailwind which is square-not swept. If your ribs are a tighy fit on the spars file 10 degree angles as appropriate on the spar openings. It helps to have a block of wood with a 10 degree angle to guide the file or sanding block.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 AM   #10
biplanebob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 276 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 1541

Trig works,

When I built my biplane, Nick D'Apuzzo worked out the numbers for my lower wing dihedral and my upper wing sweepback.

Bob

Built and flying a Willie II Biplane

Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #11
williamnear
Registered Users

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

Many thanks to all.

freerangequark Likes This