The Biplane Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds > Firebolt/Skybolt For Sale

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:27 AM   #26
expflght
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Introductions are in order since I've been lurking around here for awhile benefiting greatly from the experiences and expertise of you all. I'm Norm, yeah, that Norm the famous bar stool warmer. Well, not quite. Aside from a Skybolt project that was passed on to another builder I've been more of a 'certified' A/C type although always hankered to be deeper into the experi(mental) realm. So being airplane-less at the moment my search is on for the proper fit. Seems that three or at the most four airplanes should fill in all the blanks... JW your recent trials with that beautiful Skybolt hit home as I am another that never questioned the integrity of that particular adaptation. Seeing the quality that came out of Mac's shop could really encourage a guy to buy into the 'new and better' gear thing without much reservation. I can vouch for the level of confidence that a fuselage from Mac and company could inspire in alot of us, especially, yours truly, who can't hope to match that level of skill. Anyway, great post, clear and factual, a great benefit. Good to see that you pushed through with the gear refit, IMHO that will make a great a/c for someone. Just attaching a photo of my old Skybolt project with the Marquart gear, the lower longeron fitting swap seems really straight-forward. Hope plenty of people jump on the task at hand before unpleasantness comes thier way, as it most likely will.

img208.jpg  

Old 03-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
Jwilsonphoto
Registered Users

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default True, True, True!

Hi Norm,

Yes, other than the weight factor which kept me from going the entire Firebolt route, I never thought to question Mac. Anyone who knew Mac McKenzie, who had a great heart and unfathomable craftsmanship abilities, knew that questioning him was a productive pursuit anyway Absent that confidence, I guess any of us could have taken a good look at the gear design and questioned the substantial stress that it concentrates over a very small section of the bottom fuselage longerons.

I've got several people that seem fairly serious about wanting my Skybolt, we'll see. I'm not financially motivated and I'm an ambivalent seller on top of that, so if it becomes a time consuming chore to sell it, then I'll consider it not meant to be and go on.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #28
Jwilsonphoto
Registered Users

Default Skybolt/Firebolt

Hi Guys,

Well, this is about the first time I have had a minute to even think about my biplane, which is the reason for this update. I've been asked to produce and direct two new corporate films in addition to my normal shooting schedule. So, to think that I'll ever have time to touch this project again, much less get it back into the air, is beyond absurd.

I'll sell it as described for $20,000 FOB my hangar and the fuselage will need to be picked up at a buddies machine shop in Nacogdoches, Texas. I'll arrange for someone to be in both spots to help the buyer load it all. The engine is on a rolling stand, the fuselage is on a really cool rolling and rotating stand that is worth five grand by itself.

JW

Old 06-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #29
Jwilsonphoto
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillflyz View Post
Could I ask the last time the engine ran and the location of the project?

Thanks
The engine is pickled on a vertical stand, been that way for five years +, in a very dry hangar. Location is KTKI, McKinney Texas.