The Biplane Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic > ATC Privatization Back on the Table

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #26
Larry Lyons
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 738 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Wholly sh*t, be afraid, be very afraid!

Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

To reduce stress I do yoga. Kidding! I just drink beer wearing sweat pants.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #27
jpr
Figured out how to edit this.
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Gross. Just contacted all three of my Congresscritters.

AcroSport II #881 since mid 2016.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #28
bigblackmastiff
Premium Member

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sent my 3 emails

Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #29
cashflyer
Registered Users

Liked 305 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 38

In today's email:

Helicopter Association International (HAI) opposes the Trump administration’s plan to privatize ATC. We need your help to push back this effort.
On June 5, the Trump administration unveiled its plan to shift the air traffic control (ATC) function of the FAA to a private corporation. User fees are the primary way they plan to finance this new ATC.
U.S. airspace is a national asset we all have a right to use. General aviation currently has (and deserves) a strong voice in the management of this asset through our elected leadership. A privatized ATC will effectively silence our voice.

Here are some talking points to share with your friends, neighbors, and elected representatives about the Trump administration’s misguided plan:
  • What problem are we solving?
    The U.S. ATC system safely and efficiently manages the world’s busiest airspace. Meanwhile, the proposed solution — ATC privatization — does not treat the stated problem, which is the slow development of NextGen, the FAA’s program for developing and implementing new ATC technology. If anything should be spun off from government control, it should be the NextGen research and development effort.
  • Who benefits from the proposal?
    This proposal to privatize ATC is simply a power grab by the airlines. An airline-dominated board would steer resources and funding away from general aviation — an aviation sector that contributes $219 billion to the national economy and 1.1 million jobs. The 13-member board for the private ATC corporation proposed by the Trump administration reserves one seat for all of general aviation — for now. That seat could be removed in the future, as the proposal specifically points out.
  • How would this proposal affect U.S. aviation?
    The Trump administration’s proposal to privatize ATC would imperil aviation safety; destabilize a successful, world-class system; and would add additional costs in the form of user fees that would be passed on to passengers and customers.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #30
cashflyer
Registered Users

clips from NPR:

The FAA would still have some oversight capacity, but a board made up mostly of representatives of the major airlines would govern this corporation.

The air traffic controllers' union is generally supportive of the proposal

Privatization of air traffic control is an idea long supported by most of the commercial airlines. Executives from those companies joined the president at the White House to announce the plan.

From ABC News
The general aviation community is gravely concerned about their place in the nation's airspace under an air traffic control system where big airlines hold the most power. The proposed non-profit corporation would be controlled by 13 board members; the number of pre-determined seats belonging to major airlines is double that of the general aviation community, which represents 26 times more aircraft than commercial carriers, according to the FAA.

no evidence has yet been produced to show that privatization would reduce costs. In fact, nations that have privatized ATC have seen operational costs increase at a much higher rate than has been seen in the U.S. under the FAA

From Slate.com
The boards revenue would be determined by a fee system that would replace the current federal taxes on fuel and ticket sales. A more profit-driven ATC system would likely favor the larger, more profitable flights out of major airports in the nation’s biggest cities, at the expense of the smaller, rural airports whose operations they subsidize.

Last edited by cashflyer; 06-15-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #31
jrs14855
Premium Member

Liked 253 Times on 194 Posts

Default Atc

One report says that Trumps loony scheme would add 46 billion to the deficit over ten years.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #32
cashflyer
Registered Users

Received today:

Dear Mr. __________,

Thank you for your letter regarding the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). As your Representative in Congress, I appreciate hearing from all my constituents.

As you may know, House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Bill Shuster recently unveiled his FAA Reauthorization plan. This proposed legislation would reauthorize federal aviation programs before their funding expires on September 30, 2017. A central component of Chairman Shuster’s plan is the privatization of air-traffic control. Although I do not serve on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, I look forward to a robust debate and will keep your thoughts concerns in mind.

Once again, thank you for contacting me with your concerns. I welcome input from you and all my constituents as your Representative in Congress. Should you need further assistance, please contact my office directly.

Blessing and Liberty,

Jeff Duncan
Member of Congress

Old 06-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #33
Knight Twister

Liked 863 Times on 560 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Everybody is going to be flying Part 103 soon.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #34
cashflyer
Registered Users

For what it's worth:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Cashflyer,

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on Air Traffic Control (ATC) reform. I appreciate your perspective on this important issue and the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, on June 5, 2017, President Trump revealed his Air Traffic Control Reform Initiative to the American people. The President’s proposal seeks to redefine the structure of ATC by removing its oversight from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). This initiative limits the government’s control over ATC and allows a separate entity to oversee the traffic in our airspace.

The Trump Administration has expressed interest in previously introduced legislation such as the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization Act of 2016 (AIRR Act) as a good starting point for ATC reform. The AIRR Act provides three concepts that the Administration believes should be integrated in in proposed legislation that seeks to reform ATC. First, a non-profit, independent corporation would serve as the best model to oversee air traffic services. Second, a board of directors comprised of all users of the National Airspace System would be better positioned to meet customer demand. Third, a fee-based structure to pay for services would work as a more feasible funding structure than imposing excise taxes.

Although the House’s AIRR Act provides many reform efforts championed by the Trump Administration, the Senate Commerce Committee has voted to send its four-year FAA reauthorization bill to the full Senate while keeping the ATC system under the jurisdiction of the FAA. The current FAA authorization is set to expire on September 30, 2017.

Our nation’s ATC system is vital to our air transportation needs. Modernization of aviation technology and best practices is essential to maintaining a successful and flourishing system. We must work to ensure our air transportation is as efficient and effective as possible for the American people.
While I do not currently serve as a member of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, I will keep your concerns in mind should legislation pertinent to ATC reform come before the full Senate for a vote.

Again, thank you for sharing your perspective with me; I hope that you will continue to do so in the future. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me or a member of my staff.

For more information, please visit my website at www.scott.senate.gov and subscribe to my monthly e-newsletter. I also encourage you to follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SenatorTimScott and Twitter: www.twitter.com/SenatorTimScott for daily updates.

Sincerely,

Tim Scott
United States Senator

Old 07-08-2017, 06:14 AM   #35
Dennis5678
Registered Users

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 566

A friend that retired from ATC said:
It's one up with every President since Reagan.... Hasn't made it thrust yet.... *I don't think it's a good idea. Several other countries like Canada and a couple in Europe have done it and have been somewhat successful ... A strike be contract controllers could be really bad....

Old 07-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #36
IanJ

Liked 194 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

The latest news I can find is good news:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ion/508479001/

Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #37
smizo
ASIIS
BiP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2409 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 3519

There was a group with Ipads that had the petition ready to sign at osh. the ATC not for sale group. everyone in team smizo filled out the forms and they automatically sent letters to our congressmen. I got a few generic short responses. this is the first one I got for what its worth. typical, circular answer............

Dear Mr. Murley,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 2997, the Aviation Innovation, Reform and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act.**I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, and I'm glad to have the opportunity to respond.

In addition to setting spending levels, FAA authorization laws typically set policy on a wide range of issues related to civil aviation, including forms of FAA privatization.**Currently, air traffic control operations at 252 airports without radar control are provided by private operators under the Federal Contract Tower (FCT) program, and since 2006, the FAA has contracted out the work performed at automated flight service station facilities that provide preflight and in-flight weather briefings and flight planning services, mostly to general aviation operators.

The AIRR Act would change a wide-range of FAA policies related to air passengers, facilities and safety, among other things.**It would privatize Air Traffic Control by establishing a not-for-profit corporation to take over many of the major responsibilities of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).**Government functions performed by government workers must only be privatized when there is clear evidence that costs and operational efficiency would be improved by such change.**It would also raise the Passenger Facility Charge.**I am also aware of concerns with a version of this bill that contains changes to first officer training requirements.**Should this bill come before the House for a vote, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.

As a proud supporter of the aviation industry I will continue to use my voice and my vote to advance this critical segment of our economy and infrastructure.**As someone interested in improving our nation's infrastructure, you may be interested to know that I am a proud supporter of the Congressional Progressive Caucus' infrastructure proposal, a 21st Century New Deal for Jobs.**This comprehensive plan would invest $2 trillion to rebuild our transportation, water, energy infrastructure.**It would modernize our nation's airports by increasing funding to the FAA and investments in the Next Generation Air Transportation System.**For these reasons, I am proud to support this plan.**I look forward to working with my colleagues to advance this important agenda.

If you would like to stay connected to our office with the latest news, legislation, and other useful information, please sign-up up for my*e-newsletter or visit my website. Thank you again for writing, and please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future questions or comments.
Sincerely,

Matt Cartwright
Member of Congress
Tunkhannock, PA

Old 08-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #38
garyg

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Send a message via MSN to garyg

Ok A long read but this person says no to the bill. It is just hard to parse thru it is all. I assume this is a rather generic response to possibly hundreds of letters.

There is this today as well:
http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...obbying-on-air

Quote:
In a letter to the watchdog organization, the lawmakers claim that “at least four DOT political appointees” have contacted lawmakers and aviation or airport association representatives to build support for the bill, either through e-mails, written materials or phone calls.

The lawmakers pointed to a memo emailed to Hill staff by Chris Brown, the associate administrator for government and industry affairs at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), that said “it’s time for the U.S. to join most of the industrialized world and separate its ATC system from the agency that also provides safety oversight.”

Brown previously worked for United Airlines and Airlines for America, which have long been pushing for the spinoff plan.

The letter also highlighted a DOT website outlining the proposal and included a report from The Hill that the White House sent a high-ranking official to Capitol Hill to woo skeptical Republicans on the plan.

Democrats argue that this violates federal anti-lobbying laws, which prohibit federal dollars from being used to “pay for any personal service, advertisement, telegram, telephone, letter … intended or designed to influence in any manner a Member of Congress, a jurisdiction, or any official of any government, to favor, adopt, or oppose, by vote or otherwise, any legislation.”

“Even when viewed in the light most favorable, these e-mails, phone calls, and other activities are highly irregular, at best,” the Democrats wrote.

The letter comes as the battle over air traffic control heats up on both sides.
Might take a lot of heavy lifting to stop this privatization nonsense.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #39
ndlakesdreamer

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wrote to both senators from ND, one Republican one Democratic ironically the responses were verbatim. Wonder who writes those auto-response letters? My representative took over two weeks to respond where he basically told me he knew better on this subject. Really glad this attorney knows ATC better than someone who had daily contact with the system for 30 years. <eye-roll>
Dale

Old 08-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #40
cashflyer
Registered Users

I ran across this blast from the past today....

September 30, 2011 – FAA Deputy Administrator Michael Huerta may have given a glimpse on Thursday of how the agency and the Obama Administration will promote the GA user fee concept in the coming weeks.

During a speech in Washington, D.C., Huerta talked about the ongoing struggle for FAA funding. The agency is operating on its 22nd consecutive short-term reauthorization, which will carry it through early 2012. The lack of a full FAA reauthorization bill has stymied numerous efforts by the agency for infrastructure improvements.

“The FAA needs longer-term funding to better plan improvements that will help us to maintain our system as the largest and safest aviation system in the world,” Huerta said.

He then talked about funding proposed in President Obama’s American Jobs Act, including the $100 per-flight surcharge, which would be a user fee on a substantial number of general aviation flights. The words indicated the position the administration and agency seem to be taking on the issue.

“Approximately $11 billion in revenue would be generated over a 10-year period. Most general aviation aircraft are exempt from paying this user fee - more than 80 percent would not have to pay it,” Huerta said. “While I understand there is opposition to this proposal, these are difficult times and the deficit is a serious problem. We are all being asked to do our part.”

EAA and other GA organizations have maintained that general aviation already pays its fair share through the aviation fuel tax, which is extremely efficient to collect and was even proposed to increase in the FAA reauthorization bill to help pay for the NextGen air traffic control system. That bill has yet to be passed by Congress.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #41
DaleB
Registered Users

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflyer View Post
including the $100 per-flight surcharge, which would be a user fee on a substantial number of general aviation flights.

“Most general aviation aircraft are exempt from paying this user fee - more than 80 percent would not have to pay it,”
Yeah, right, sure... until they decide they need more money, at which point that 80% creeps down to 75%, then becomes 50%, then 20%, then eventually reaches 0%. How can one know that would happen? Because people who are given the ability to take money out of your pocket always seem to develop an insatiable appetite for doing so.
jmorgan Likes This 
Old 08-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #42
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Send a message via MSN to Timbob

You buy off all the upper management of the spokespeople for general aviation, they make one last weak plea for keeping ATC public(for your benefit) and then they (the organizations of general aviation including EAA)start feeding everyone the "it will be alright" stories to keep you from protesting.
Then its done....