The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Other Types > Christen Eagle > Eagle Chute for back seat

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:52 AM   #1
RKO
Registered Users

Liked 42 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Eagle Chute for back seat

Opinions are like a$$holes so might as well ask the question ....

Anybody using a Strong Parachute in the back seat of the Eagle? I just sold my chair 305 Strong and want a 304 that is more seat then "back pack" also they are very close (Strong Enterprises) from a TSO on a new 30' Canopy so I am leaning to stay with Strong. (Nice folks to boot and high quality stuff on the rigs they sell)

Old 10-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
PittsDriver68
Registered Users

Liked 955 Times on 685 Posts

The Strong chair parachute is really a back parachute where they slide a little bit of canopy under your butt. The fat part of the parachute is still behind your shoulders just like their traditional back parachutes.

The seat rig obviously puts everything under your butt so that your shoulders can recline fully against the top of the seat back. The seat container is about 5" thick so you can simulate how tall you will wind up in the seat by putting that much hard foam blocks or whatever into your seat and trying that on.

A friend flys an Extra 300 with a Strong seat rig and is perfectly comfortable. His seat is set about at the angles that an Eagle seat is. But that's still not an Eagle and you are likely a different size pilot.

Best of luck,
Wes

Old 10-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
race38
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Location: Owings, MD Based @ MD22 at the DEALE Intersection unhappily inside the SFRA.
Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Smizo has a Carbon seat back for the Pitts. Do a search or somebody can maybe provide the link.

Clipt Cubby
Tailwind
Pitts project on deck

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Old 10-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Cameron
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Send a message via MSN to Cameron

I'm using a Butler seat pack. It works very well in my Eagle. A backpack also works, but it shoves me a little too far forward.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
plschulten
Registered Users

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Send a message via MSN to plschulten

I'm 6"1 and use a Strong 303 backpack. Its thick at the bottom, thin at top. I use a Oregon aero thin seat cushion and the chute is my back cushion, 600+ hours.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
PittsDriver68
Registered Users

Liked 955 Times on 685 Posts

"Strong 303 backpack. Its thick at the bottom, thin at top."

I am curious about that. Given your location, do you have it packed at the Strong factory?

Thanks,

Wes

Old 10-23-2017, 03:44 AM   #7
Larry Lyons
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 788 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

Doesn't apply here, I know, but as a data point I made my seat Cushion to mimic my seat pack so when flying cross country I sit almost comfortably and almost the same level.
Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

In dog beers I've only had one!

Old 10-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
RKO
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by plschulten View Post
I'm 6"1 and use a Strong 303 backpack. Its thick at the bottom, thin at top. I use a Oregon aero thin seat cushion and the chute is my back cushion, 600+ hours.
That sounds like my old wedge. I am leaning towards the 303.....I am 5'11" and can play around with the seat cushions. Thanks Paul!

-Randy

Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
RKO
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver68 View Post
The Strong chair parachute is really a back parachute where they slide a little bit of canopy under your butt. The fat part of the parachute is still behind your shoulders just like their traditional back parachutes.

The seat rig obviously puts everything under your butt so that your shoulders can recline fully against the top of the seat back. The seat container is about 5" thick so you can simulate how tall you will wind up in the seat by putting that much hard foam blocks or whatever into your seat and trying that on.

A friend flys an Extra 300 with a Strong seat rig and is perfectly comfortable. His seat is set about at the angles that an Eagle seat is. But that's still not an Eagle and you are likely a different size pilot.

Best of luck,
Wes

Wes,

Its more of the harness and back of the chute rig up by my neck....my 305 can't be used with a helmet as I can't get my head back far enough or even turn left/right as the should harness of the rig get in the way. I had a Extra 300S and used a Wedge---probably go back to that!

Old 10-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
RKO
Registered Users

Quote:

I am curious about that. Given your location, do you have it packed at the Strong factory?

Thanks,

Wes
I think he has a 311 "Wedge" It is thicker at the bottom (3") and reduces to 1" at the top....makes you recline in the seat, they (Strong) also makes an "Aeropad" which is a small flap you sit on so the wedge pack stays in position and does not slide up your back.

I am ordering a 311 Wedge from Strong. I tried the seat packs and it was a no go. The Chair type is also a no go as they are mostly for gliders.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #11
RKO
Registered Users

A call out to Allen Silver really paid off! Allen can custom make anything you need not to mention he provides a loaner --or ---if you purchase a new rig and is not what you want you can return it and modify it the way you need it. I went with a 16" Softie.

His advertises in the back of the IAC magazine and his email is

Allen@silverParachutes.com
(209)532-7070

A phone call talking to the guy is worth a million bucks! He made the decision easy and if I do not like something (straps, connectors, etc) he can change it out.

Last edited by RKO; 10-24-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #12
plschulten
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
That sounds like my old wedge. I am leaning towards the 303.....I am 5'11" and can play around with the seat cushions. Thanks Paul!

-Randy
Yep I think your right Randy...its been awhile since I thought about that, thanks!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #13
plschulten
Registered Users

Quote:
A call out to Allen Silver really paid off! Allen can custom make anything you need not to mention he provides a loaner --or ---if you purchase a new rig and is not what you want you can return it and modify it the way you need it. I went with a 16" Softie.

His advertises in the back of the IAC magazine and his email is

Allen@silverParachutes.com
(209)532-7070

A phone call talking to the guy is with a million bucks! He made the decision easy and if I do not like something (straps, connectors, etc) he can change it out.
Allen is awesome fer sure!
RKO Likes This 
Old 10-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
plschulten
Registered Users

Quote:

Thanks,

Wes
I have before but usually at Aero Tek in Deland, Terry Pike.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #15
RKO
Registered Users

Quote:
I think he has a 311 "Wedge" It is thicker at the bottom (3") and reduces to 1" at the top....makes you recline in the seat, they (Strong) also makes an "Aeropad" which is a small flap you sit on so the wedge pack stays in position and does not slide up your back.

I am ordering a 311 Wedge from Strong. I tried the seat packs and it was a no go. The Chair type is also a no go as they are mostly for gliders.
Well I WAS ordering a 311 until I found out it will be 10 weeks for delivery!