The Biplane Forum > Biplane Technical Forums > Electrical & Instrumentation > HG vs MB



Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default HG vs MB

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ltimeters2.php

Just wonding why the HG's are priced higher than the MB version? How are the UMA's for akro?


Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
bf92
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
bf92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bountiful, UT
Posts: 1,554
Liked 337 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

HG's are higher because the demand is higher (my guess). I had a Falcon altimeter, and it went junk in 75 hours. Plastic gears, and very light. I replaced it with an old Kollsman (probably WWII vintage) that weighs about three pounds, and will last forever. Can't speak for the UMA.

Danny


__________________
Local FAA inspector:\"Remember, we\'re not happy till you\'re not happy!\"
bf92 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Thanks Danny, I'm wondering if maybe I should put a millibar unit in my airplane, if I cannot find a good priced unit.
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Dana
Registered Users
 
Dana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 370
Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Thanks Danny, I'm wondering if maybe I should put a millibar unit in my airplane, if I cannot find a good priced unit.
If you do you'll have to convert every time ATC gives you an altimeter setting.

Dana
Dana is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
If you do you'll have to convert every time ATC gives you an altimeter setting.

Dana
Yup, not a big deal..
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
jetsareforkids
Registered Users
 
jetsareforkids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 99
Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

Default

UMA doesn't build a quality altimeter, go buy a new or used United 5934, even a used one will be a much better instrument than a new UMA.
jetsareforkids is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
IanJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 1,414
Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Send a message via MSN to IanJ
Default

I've had good luck (with some waiting around for the right thing to show up) getting instruments off Ebay. Factor in the cost of a rebuild (around $225 last time I checked), and you can get a very high quality Kollsman or United altimeter into your panel for half the price of a new United from ACS.
__________________
Marquart Charger MA-5 build: makin' ribs
1956 Champion 7EC, "Norbert"
IanJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #8
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
I've had good luck (with some waiting around for the right thing to show up) getting instruments off Ebay. Factor in the cost of a rebuild (around $225 last time I checked), and you can get a very high quality Kollsman or United altimeter into your panel for half the price of a new United from ACS.
Hi Ian, kollsman is a good brand? I see they are about half the price of a United altimeter on ebay. This is for an acro ship.

Last edited by Nate; 05-04-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #9
biplanebob
Member
BiP_SUPPORTER.png
 
biplanebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsylvania,United States
Posts: 818
Liked 321 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 1695

Default

I would consider the Kollsman to be a "gold standard". Tens of thousands were built for the US military in WWII and are still in service today.

They may need a new dial and re-seal and calibrate, but they are a quality product.

Bob
__________________
biplanebob,

Built and flying a Willie II Biplane
biplanebob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
IanJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 1,414
Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Send a message via MSN to IanJ
Default

I speak only from second-hand experience, but my research echoes Bob's assessment. Kollsman appear to be the best you can get, though they're long out of production. The reason they're so good is the same "they made them better back in the day" saw you'll hear about anything mechanical.
__________________
Marquart Charger MA-5 build: makin' ribs
1956 Champion 7EC, "Norbert"
IanJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:18 AM   #11
PittsDriver68
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NH
Posts: 3,696
Liked 968 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I have been in the Kollsman facility in Merrimack, NH. They claim that they will repair any Kollsman product ever built.

I have not seen that any instrument shops have trouble overhauling Kollsman altimeters.

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited by PittsDriver68; 05-05-2017 at 09:52 AM.
PittsDriver68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:17 AM   #12
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Can you tell me a good overhaul shop for these altimiters?
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:18 AM   #13
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

wow, never knew the brand. I feel silly now, doing some research... some of the corporate stuff I've flown had this brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biplanebob View Post
I would consider the Kollsman to be a "gold standard". Tens of thousands were built for the US military in WWII and are still in service today.

They may need a new dial and re-seal and calibrate, but they are a quality product.

Bob
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #14
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver68 View Post
I have been in the Kollsman facility in Merrimack, NH. They claim that they will repair any Kollsman product ever built.

I have not seen that any instrument shops have trouble overhauling Kollsman altimeters.

Best of luck,

Wes
Many different models on ebay Wes, should anyone do? There's a nice kollsman 1959 Navy altimeter for around $70. I'm assuming that I can get this overhauled for a couple of hundred dollars?
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #15
PittsDriver68
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NH
Posts: 3,696
Liked 968 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

A quick look at eBay shows at least one Kollsman altimeter with a 1990's overhaul sticker on it.

I would call Century Instrument or whomever your favorite shop is and tell them that you have a Kollsman Altimeter P/N 671CPX-4-037 or whatever and ask the cost of an overhaul. They may just function check and recertify.

Asking is free. An overhaul might be $100.

Best of luck,

Wes
PittsDriver68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #16
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver68 View Post
A quick look at eBay shows at least one Kollsman altimeter with a 1990's overhaul sticker on it.

I would call Century Instrument or whomever your favorite shop is and tell them that you have a Kollsman Altimeter P/N 671CPX-4-037 or whatever and ask the cost of an overhaul. They may just function check and recertify.

Asking is free. An overhaul might be $100.

Best of luck,

Wes
Thanks Wes, just bought and called a shop, should be ok to OH.
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #17
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Since we're on the topic, who makes a good airspeed indicator that I could buy fairly inexpensive and have it overhauled? Something that would be better than a UMA.
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #18
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Since we're on the topic, who makes a good airspeed indicator that I could buy fairly inexpensive and have it overhauled? Something that would be better than a UMA.
Are ASI's like altimiters for acro? Do I need a high-quaity one?
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
PittsDriver68
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NH
Posts: 3,696
Liked 968 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

If you intend to just do loops and rolls, most instruments will be OK. If you intend to fly to +6G and -3G on every flight like some of us, a quality instrument will last longer.

Best of luck,

Wes
PittsDriver68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #20
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver68 View Post
If you intend to just do loops and rolls, most instruments will be OK. If you intend to fly to +6G and -3G on every flight like some of us, a quality instrument will last longer.

Best of luck,

Wes
Thanks Wes.
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #21
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver68 View Post
A quick look at eBay shows at least one Kollsman altimeter with a 1990's overhaul sticker on it.

I would call Century Instrument or whomever your favorite shop is and tell them that you have a Kollsman Altimeter P/N 671CPX-4-037 or whatever and ask the cost of an overhaul. They may just function check and recertify.

Asking is free. An overhaul might be $100.

Best of luck,

Wes
Where is this $100. shop. Most places seem to want $210-$250..?
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #22
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
IanJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 1,414
Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Send a message via MSN to IanJ
Default

Agreed, I've seen overhaul prices in the $200+ range in the last year. Did you try calling Century Instrument, Nate?
__________________
Marquart Charger MA-5 build: makin' ribs
1956 Champion 7EC, "Norbert"
IanJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #23
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
Agreed, I've seen overhaul prices in the $200+ range in the last year. Did you try calling Century Instrument, Nate?
Ian, I did. $215. for the OH. It's not a bad price, but if I can find a shop for $100. that would be nice.
Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #24
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
IanJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 1,414
Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Send a message via MSN to IanJ
Default

Definitely. Good to know, thanks. (I've got a pair of Ebay Kollsman altimeters that will need to be refurbed at some point, so I'm keeping an eye on OH costs.)
__________________
Marquart Charger MA-5 build: makin' ribs
1956 Champion 7EC, "Norbert"
IanJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
Nate
Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for preparation H
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 467
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
Definitely. Good to know, thanks. (I've got a pair of Ebay Kollsman altimeters that will need to be refurbed at some point, so I'm keeping an eye on OH costs.)
Ian, I will let you know if I come up with a shop to overhaul these at a better rate


Nate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump