The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Other Types > Baby Great Lakes > My Super Baby Great Lakes build

Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
birdus
Registered Users
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My Super Baby Great Lakes build

I'm building a Super Baby Great Lakes. If you want to follow along, here's a blog I'm keeping:

http://buildingthesuperbabygreatlakes.blogspot.com/

Jay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
StinsonPilot
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Planes

Liked 383 Times on 286 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Congrats! Those are nice biplanes. Keep us updated.

If you're ever in the East Seattle area, let me know if you're interested in stopping in and taking a look at the Skybolt, shoot the breeze and have a coffee.
There are several other Biplanes in the area also.

Welcome to the forum!

Doug

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

Steen Skybolt
Stinson 108-2

Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Sarge

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 106

You've got a very professional looking rib jig. I just used scraps of leftover plywood from the nose ribs to hold the pieces in place. Not as pretty as yours, but my ribs look the same.

Have you considered using a staple gun to hold the gussets in place? I've been nailing mine just like you have, and I'm starting to think staples might save a lot of time.

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles...

Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
smutny
Biplane Addict
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Planes

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Hey, another local! Welcome to the Forum!

I've always liked the looks of the Baby Lakes, I'll be watching your build pages. There are two other Baby Lakes that I know of here in the area. The yellow one on your site is at Concrete and one in Aberdeen area owned by a participant on this board by the name of Marc.

John Smutny

http://northwestskyways.blogspot.com/

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside used up worn out and loudly proclaiming; Damn, what a ride!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
birdus
Registered Users

Thanks for saying hi, everyone.

Doug, if I'm in your neighborhood, I'll give you a shout. There's coffee in Seattle?

Sarge, I saw someone else use the steel pins in their jig and thought it was a good idea. The pins were expensive, but they work pretty well. No doubt scrap wood would work just as well. Hadn't thought about staples. The nails came as part of the kit, so I'll just keep using them (in lieu of buying something else). And for the gussets on the flipside of the rib, I don't use anything. I just set the whole jig on top of it overnight so enough pressure is applied to them to get a good joint.

John, I would love to see the other Baby Great Lakes. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled at the Fly In later in the year. Maybe I'll look Marc up on the forum, too.

Anyone who wants to follow my build can always subscribe to the RSS feed. That would be the easiest way to do it, as you get notified whenever I make a new post.

Jay

Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
smutny
Biplane Addict
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Planes

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Marc's profile here on the forum is: N110MB. I think right now he's galavanting around the West Coast on his motorcycle, so he may not have updated his profile here on the new forum.

Skagit Aero Museum staff is on site all the time. You can get ahold of them through their site and see about getting time to look at their Baby Lakes.
http://skagitaero.com/aircraft/baby-great-lakes/

John Smutny

http://northwestskyways.blogspot.com/

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside used up worn out and loudly proclaiming; Damn, what a ride!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdus View Post
Hadn't thought about staples. The nails came as part of the kit, so I'll just keep using them (in lieu of buying something else). And for the gussets on the flipside of the rib, I don't use anything. I just set the whole jig on top of it overnight so enough pressure is applied to them to get a good joint.
Jay
Well, if the nails came with the kit, it's hard to say "no" to free hardware. Or pre-paid hardware as the case may be. And the nails are a whole lot prettier in the spare rib to hang on the wall.

I hadn't thought of using weight instead of nails to keep pressure on the gussets. That could save a pound or two off the empty weight. If that's working for you, I'll have to experiment with it.

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles...

Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
birdus
Registered Users

Thanks for the info, John. I would love to see some other planes which are already completed.

Sarge, if I'm not mistaken, the only reason for the nails is to hold the gussets in place while the epoxy cures so that you get a nice, tight joint. Clamps would normally be what you would use for woodworking, but that's not practical since the slew of gussets are all right there in your jig--no way to clamp them all up. Well, now that I think of it, maybe you could, but it might be tough. Nails are pretty easy. For the other ones, I just make sure they're all lined up correctly, then just very carefully set the jig on the rib, so as not to knock any of the gussets out of whack. Seems to be working really well. The joints look nice 'n' tight (i.e., the gussets seem tight to the spruce), and the weight isn't so much that you get excessive squeeze out.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdus View Post
Sarge, if I'm not mistaken, the only reason for the nails is to hold the gussets in place while the epoxy cures so that you get a nice, tight joint.
Yeah, that's what they taught us at A&P school. I think there is a minimum recommended pressure on a wood joint while it cures. Let me dig into my textbooks and get back to you on that...

Old 04-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
birdus
Registered Users

FYI, my jig is built out of 3/4" MDF and is around 8" x 48", so it probably weighs a few pounds. Seems just about perfect for holding the gussets in place while the epoxy cures.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Sarge

According to AC 43.13-1B para 1-10, "Use the recommended pressure to squeeze adhesive out into a thin, continuous film between wood layers. This forces air from the joint and brings the wood surfaces into intimate contact... Typical pressures when using resorcinol may vary from 125 to 150 psi for softwoods and 150 to 200 psi for hardwoods. Insufficient pressure or poorly machined wood surfaces usually result in thick bond lines, which indicate a weak joint, and should be carefully guarded against. Some epoxy adhesives require much less clamping pressure to produce acceptable joint strength. Be sure to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions in all cases."

I'm using resorcinol, so it looks like I'd better stick with the hardware. My guesstimate on gusset area is at least 12 sq in, and at 125 psi, I'd have to weight the gussets down with at least 1500 lb. Which is about triple what I'm aiming for as the empty weight of my Baby.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
birdus
Registered Users

Interesting info, Sarge. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
Btro0515

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Btro0515

I did my jig the exact same way, but i couldnt find those @&"?%#! pins anywhere! So stupid me, i got 6' of steel rod and cut and ground each one by hand. But, in doing so, figured out how to turn an angle grinder into a bench grinder. Its the little things in life!

yeah, im a broke college student...just means I get more time to build \'er right...one rib at a time!

Last edited by Btro0515; 04-21-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Jerry
Radial Skybolt Builder - 116%
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Planes

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Hi Jay

Congrats on getting started on the build.

I'm not sure how far along you are with the building of the ribs.

If I were to do mine all over again I'd first cut the profile of the spars and use a small cross section piece of the spar in the jig so that you are building the jig around the spars you have instead of having to cut the spars to the openings you've made.

Jerry

Jerry
My biplane is an expression of myself... like notes in the air, paint on canvas, words on a page.

Clipped Wing Radial Engine Skybolt