The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Pitts > High performance S1 wing plans

Old Today, 05:57 AM   #26
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 706 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Apples and Oranges. Stardusters are usually NOT flown like a Pitts so no reason to fail. And of coarse no drag wire blocks to fail either.

2Cor5:17

Old Today, 07:46 AM   #27
Lotahp1
Registered Users

Liked 614 Times on 443 Posts

Default High performance S1 wing plans

I figured the apples to oranges thing. But still...both are aerobatic rated (yeah yeah I know Stardusters are not "designed" for Acro even though they are stressed to +6 -6, it's a known story Lou Stolp didn't like Acro as he feared to many would die trying it but he did design the plane to take the G loads, so while it wasn't designed to be a top Acro mount it is indeed aerobatic and rated for such...same can be said for RVs.) one seems to have a fail problem of plywood wings one doesn't. If one is failing within it's gross Acro weight G rating then there is a design issue not a type of construction issue. Maybe the drag wires vs tubes IS the reason you don't see Starduster failures of the plywood wing ribs? Not debating the better or worse Acro machine here, interested in why one plane seems to have a higher failure rate of a type of Rib construction where another does not....Again, with both being flown within there design G limits. (I'm curious if the Sparcraft routed Pitts Rib failure is overly talked about and exaggerated the actual failure rate?) seems like if one is flown within its flight designed limits and has zero failures (or very few) and the other is flown in its limits but has higher failure rates there is bigger issue at hand... the drag wires might very well be the issue.

Last edited by Lotahp1; Today at 07:51 AM.

Old Today, 12:11 PM   #28
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 706 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 461

I have no idea about the drag wire vs. tube has any relationship to anything but the "simple" fact is that 99% of SD2 are NEVER flown like the average Pitts is!

My Spezio is built like a tank and supposed to be stressed to +9 G's but that has about nothing to do with how they are flown. Yea I know some idiot managed to break one negative which led to the jury struts but it was never designed for aerobatics. That said, the Tu-holer wing with it plywood LE's is probably almost impossible to damage internally
2Cor5:17

Old Today, 12:37 PM   #29
cwilliamrose
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1272 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm thinking the S-2C rib design change was to make them cheaper to build, not lighter. I'll guess the ply web is 1/8" and there's no need for vertical spruce members or additional gussets -- notice the vertical grain on the plywood. The material costs would be higher with this design but the labor could be a lot less.

Project:Stretched Pitts S-1SS

Acrobum Likes This