The Biplane Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > new guy in washington

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:25 AM   #1
Alaskamech
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default new guy in washington

Hi all, i was looking for a stardust and bought a marquart charger. still have to get it home thou. the insurance company wants me to check out with an instructor that has 25 hrs in make/model, any one know of such a person on the west coast preferably in the NW?
Terry

Old 08-31-2017, 03:51 AM   #2
bdalporto
Registered Users

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Send a message via MSN to bdalporto

I have a Charger and I doubt there is such a person. Call your insurance company and explain that there are only about 50 Chargers flying and that anyone with pits, starduster, sky bolt or any other biplane time will be qualified to check you out. I think the charger is a ***** cat not much harder to fly than a Citabria.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
IanJ

Liked 189 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

Agreed, it will be hard to find such an instructor. Glenn (freerangequark here) certainly has the hours, but I don't think he's an instructor. There's a Charger near Corvallis, OR, but again, not an instructor. Getting Pitts time is probably the most likely path forward. Will Allen in Seattle (part of Rock and Roll Airshows) is set up to instruct in a Pitts, though you'll probably have to schedule a few months out. You might also check in with John Smutny in Seattle. He's a member here as well. He will be able to help you locate biplane instructors, though I'd be surprised if he can find you a Charger instructor.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
Taltruda
Registered Users

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Where is home for you?

Old 08-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 745 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 491

You do what insurance company says or find a different company. This 25 hours in M/M is nonsense. Any experienced tail wheel/biplane instructor should be able to check himself out in an hour and in turn check someone else out.

This is another reason for the deflated prices of vintage biplane types when the insurance company requires a $5k checkout in a 2-place Pitts in order to fly a Duster, Charger or Skybolt.......

Oh well
2Cor5:17

Old 08-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
Dave Baxter

Liked 419 Times on 246 Posts

Well Terry I had a similar experience when I sold my Skybolt. The ferry pilot we hired to fly the airplane to south Dakota had impeccable credentials, IE: a retired 767 captain, with all sorts of time, his discipline after retirement, was flying light airplanes back and forth across the US, and even down into south America, and although he had tail wheel time, he had none in tail wheel biplanes like the Skybolt! I would have done it myself, but was recovering from gallbladder surgery and several infections at the time,so was unable to do so.

Here in Oregon there were maybe two other Skybolts, but none were available for check out or instruction, this coupled with there were also no flight instructors current in one in order to do the check outs!

What my insurance company finally did was allow me to check out the ferry pilot, and they were okay with that. He has since ferried another Skybolt from Canada to the US. I can give you his contact if you like, let me know, although he has no time in a Charger, but your insurance company might by off on at least him ferrying the airplane to you?. Dave

Last edited by Dave Baxter; 08-31-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
Dana
Registered Users

Liked 81 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 32

If you insurance company is requiring the instructor to have 25 hours m/m in an obscure airplane like a Charger, they don't know much about experimentals, find another insurance company. Most will accept any high performance biplane time.

I recently checked out an instructor in a Quicksilver... I'm not a CFI but had fairly recent Quick time; I checked out the CFI for 5 hours in the Quick (and simultaneously got my BFR done), then he checked out the guy who bought the Quicksilver.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
Alaskamech
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm in Puyallup, I'm taking my father with me to go pick it up he has too many hours to count and at 81 still instructs in tail wheel planes.
Dave i still hope to see you in Hood river if the offer still stands to fly your SD.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:36 AM   #9
StinsonPilot

Liked 602 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Good to have another bipe in the NW. Look forward to seeing it.

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

Steen Skybolt
Stinson 108-2

Old 09-01-2017, 04:28 AM   #10
Dave Baxter

Terry do not know if after parking and camping for several days at Hood River whether we will be able to get the airplanes out, until Sunday? Also since they built a new hanger for all the antique airplanes that have been donated recently, parking and camping will be at a premium!

We plan on going at least a day earlier, on Thursday in hopes of a a good camping and parking spot, but the offer still stands, at least at Scappoose SPB. Dave

Old 09-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #11
IanJ

Alaskamech, which Charger did you buy? Is it N645? I'd love to come visit when you've got it settled here (I'm in Ballard).

Old 09-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
Alaskamech
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes n645, Dave called me about it and i had seen it advertised and i had just called Jeff about it and talked for along time, he is a really nice guy. there was one here at pierce county that i liked (Burnie Sanders) but he sold it a few years ago. We are thinking of stopping by Hood river on the way home with it next weekend.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #13
IanJ

I'd love the opportunity to come check it out. I had a long series of phone calls with the seller, but ultimately weather and schedules didn't line up well enough to let things proceed, and I ended up finding a good deal on a local Champ. I'm glad he found a buyer, it looks like a great plane. Congrats!

Old 09-12-2017, 03:47 AM   #14
Alaskamech
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well its home in Puyallup now, what a flight. 3 days 19hrs flt time. if any one has a suggestion on intercoms that work well in high noise plz let me know what you think works well the one in my plane sucks.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:43 AM   #15
IanJ

This is the usual recommendation: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/pm1200.php

Welcome home!

Old 09-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #16
StinsonPilot

Liked 602 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 196

This one was recommended by one of our Waco members IIRC. I'm going to give it a try.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...pintercom1.php

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

Steen Skybolt
Stinson 108-2

Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #17
Dave Baxter

Default Intercoms In Open Cockpit Biplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskamech View Post
Well its home in Puyallup now, what a flight. 3 days 19hrs flt time. if any one has a suggestion on intercoms that work well in high noise plz let me know what you think works well the one in my plane sucks.
Terry This problem is one that continues to be an issue, and that most pilot owners struggle with. Having a good intercom with the ability to converse with a non flying passenger is a desired thing, and if one wishes to give dual is of utmost importance. For those that have flown with me, at least a dozen on this forum, do any of you remember having difficulty carrying on a meaningful conversation in my airplane or my sons?

First and foremost, voice activated intercoms do not work well if at all in open cockpit biplanes, did you get that? "AGAIN" Voice activated intercoms do not work well if at all in open cockpit biplanes! Many have tried with little success, most manufactures of head sets and intercoms will tell you just buy all of our stuff and all your problems will be solved! The electric tecnology is improving all the time, and some of the voice activated intercoms are probably much better than the older ones.
I am not saying that there are some hi dollar very expensive ones that might work,in high noise environments like helicopters, but I do not know of one personally, perhaps others do?

The best intercoms for open cockpit biplanes are Push To Talk, these are by far the best, as a pilot owner with more than 3000 hrs in these open cockpit biplanes and one that has given numerous rides and also quite a number of dual check outs I can assure you that the push to talk intercom is the best and most efficient way to go. Most avionics shops are use to dealing with cabin airplanes that have off the shelf voice activated intercom systems, and are not familiar with open cockpit high noise environments and just assume they will all work!

It is my understanding that most of the newer 760 channel radios can be made to work with intercoms that have the push to talk feature. David Clark and Telex, as well as others offer push to talk adapters that can convert most voice activated intercoms to the push to talk system.

Good radios, and good headsets are a must, headsets that are mixed between manufactures should be avoided, and should be of the same type and model number. Also it is possible to have different microphones from one headset to the other, and it is further preferred that the headset have good comfortable ear seals as well as mic muffs, and when I say mic muffs I mean a good spongy one with a leather boot over the mic muff, and that the leather bootie has two small holes front and back about the size of a note book hole.

I have been flying this Skybolt that has an IO-360 200 HP, with a four into one exhaust that dumps under the front floor it is almost impossible even with the noise cancelling to talk with a passenger on full power take offs! This airplane has a canopy and is equipped with a noise cancelling radio and intercom system,and if one wishes to transmit and receive radio calls, they are almost unintelligible with out the noise cancelling system activated!

By contrast our airplanes, Dan and mine both have mufflers, with front exhaust, and this helps. I only say this to put this in prospective. Again this is only my opinion, and based on my experience, and as such is worth only that. Dave

Last edited by Dave Baxter; 09-13-2017 at 03:21 AM.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #18
smutny
Biplane Addict

Liked 243 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Alaskamech, feel free to stop by Evergreen Sky Ranch any time. I live in the NW corner, the brown house, second from the end.

http://northwestskyways.blogspot.com/

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside used up worn out and loudly proclaiming; Damn, what a ride!

Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #19
Dennis5678
Registered Users

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 487

Alaskamech,
Send us some photos of your Charger when you can.
Godspeed on you journey

Old 09-14-2017, 02:55 AM   #20
Alaskamech
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will stop by John thx I'm replacing the junk tail wheel and inspecting the airplane closer now that its home then its out to the grass.

Terry
15 schnitzengrubens is my limit

Old 09-15-2017, 04:06 AM   #21
Alaskamech
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default jackson hole/Teton mtns

just a couple pics on the way home @ 10,000 ft

IMG_2545.jpg   IMG_2546.jpg  
15 schnitzengrubens is my limit