The Biplane Forum > General Discussion > Hangar Talk > US National aerobatic championship

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #101
ssmdive

Liked 305 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Anderson View Post
Ssmdive, I don't know your name so it feels odd to address you directly. As a relatively new entrant to this sport I am trying to do what I can to give back. I am taking over my IAC chapter (58). I have just become a judge. I am downright evangelical about the sport among my non-acro peers. It's not much but it's not nothing either.

But this forum, man! It just has the vibe of one big pity party. Imagine "Amy", an imaginary UND freshman, browsing these pages as a first step to meeting her dream of building and flying a WolfPro 360. She is going to see a bunch of old men sitting in rocking chairs complaining about the guv'mint. Fortunately for the sport, contests have exactly the opposite vibe. The openness, enthusiasm, humor and encouragement are heaped on everyone in huge doses. The contrast could not be more stark.

We may not be perfect but relative to much of the world, we American and Canadian pilots have it pretty damn good. That's not an accident. The EAA and AOPA are flawed organizations that have done considerable work keeping the worst of the wolves at bay. Meanwhile, the very pilots who benefit from the effort just howl at the moon.
I am not just howling at the moon. I am VP of my chapter, I was on the BOD last year for the chapter as well. I am on THREE acro boxes and fought the FAA for one at my home airport.

What I have seen is the EAA not give a damn about the IAC. This is not a one time issue, but over and over and over. Not a SINGLE world about EAA/IAC members at the World Championship... Not a DAMN word. That is not support, not by a long shot. And yet you HAVE to pay them and be a member and they give you not a SINGLE word of support.

And YOU are the one that said, "Those of us who enjoy aerobatics may save our sanity by stopping our whining and just enjoy what we have while we have it".... So you are free to just ignore every obstacle and be happy, that is your choice.

I however am going to call it like I see it, and the EAA is not helping the IAC at all. You can call it "whining" if you want.

You are free to claim the EAA is the best thing ever... I disagree. Your choice, my choice. And if you don't like my "whining"... No one is forcing you to read my posts.

Last edited by ssmdive; 09-13-2017 at 08:16 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #102
PittsDriver68
Registered Users

Liked 915 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 2

"Would you really want me sitting across from you telling you where your dropping the ball with the judges program."

Absolutely. When you step in the political area, which what we are talking about, you need to have a thick skin and the ability to pick the good ideas out of the thrashing of the debate. I will suggest that ANYONE who has a good idea should step up and champion their point of view. And if you put 10 ideas in the pot and one takes on life, fires up others, and gets adopted, its a win.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”― Edmund Burke

Best of luck,

Wes

People Like This 
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #103
flyrite

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

[QUOTE=PittsDriver68;182048]"Would you really want me sitting across from you telling you where your dropping the ball with the judges program."

Absolutely. When you step in the political area, which what we are talking about, you need to have a thick skin and the ability to pick the good ideas out of the thrashing of the debate. I will suggest that ANYONE who has a good idea should step up and champion their point of view. And if you put 10 ideas in the pot and one takes on life, fires up others, and gets adopted, its a win.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”― Edmund Burke

Best of luck,

Wes[/QUOTE

YOU ARE A GOOD MAN WES.....

Old 09-14-2017, 12:52 AM   #104
Aerobatrix
Registered Users

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Circling back to comments about female pilots flying aerobatic contests, here is some good news. At the last regional contest I attended there were 3 female pilots out of 13 competitors. Two of the judges were also women.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:03 AM   #105
Bond007
Registered Users

Liked 44 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Eric S i think those guys look in the cockpit when they are landing
The term seat of the pants means nothing to them
Danny 007
flyrite Likes This 
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #106
jrs14855
Premium Member

Liked 252 Times on 193 Posts

Default Eaa

AOPA frequently does feature articles on homebuilt airplanes. These are often outstanding articles. Dave Hirschman at AOPA owns and flies a RV3.
Compare this to the writers at EAA. At least some of them hate homebuilts. The others with a couple of exceptions choose not to write about them.
Six years ago Dave H wrote an excellent article about a one of a kind homebuilt that EAA has never mentioned and probably doesn't know exist.
So sad.
The fraud is about to be inducted into the Kansas Aviation Hall of Fame or some such thing. Should be hall of shame. How can he even look in the mirror?

Old 09-15-2017, 03:31 AM   #107
Knight Twister

Liked 862 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 79

We need to drain the swamp in Oshkosh.
Larry Lyons Likes This 
Old 09-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #108
jrs14855
Premium Member

Liked 252 Times on 193 Posts

Default Eaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Twister View Post
We need to drain the swamp in Oshkosh.
Agreed but near impossible under the current by laws.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:13 AM   #109
crankyklingon

Liked 630 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 2

EAA has become Airventure INC. That's the cash cow, that's where they get their egos massaged. Everything else can wither and die.