The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > Starduster landing gear attachment

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 AM   #1
flyingvette
Registered Users

Likes Given: 5

Default Starduster landing gear attachment

Thank you for accepting me into this group!
I have read that I am not the only one that has bouncy landings on pavement, HaHaHa, but unfortunately all those landings have resulted in a broken mount.
Does anyone have details on the front left hand attachment tab on the Starduster Too fuselage? What material thickness should this be? Angles, and length , etc.?

image.jpg  

Old 09-13-2017, 03:13 AM   #2
Knight Twister

Liked 862 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Just repaired one of those. Front fitting is a built up lug from .090 tabs, 1/2" bushing with .090 wrapper. Rear fitting are .090 tabs with .090 gussets. The fittings are 1 5/16" from longeron centerline . Thats all predicated on if the airplane was built to plans initially. Check Starduster newsletter OCT '75 in the archives for drawings.

Last edited by Knight Twister; 09-13-2017 at 03:25 AM.
flyingvette Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 03:29 AM   #3
flyingvette
Registered Users

Thanks for the info! I will try to find the newsletter for the drawings.
This is a great group for information!
image.jpg  

Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #4
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Send a message via MSN to Timbob

Awesome radial SA300! I just measured my front gear attachment, 8 degrees up on one side! Bringing down Larry Rydberg with his torch and long lever arm for bending the fitting...patch too.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:58 AM   #5
Dave Baxter
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 419 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvette View Post
Thank you for accepting me into this group!
I have read that I am not the only one that has bouncy landings on pavement, HaHaHa, but unfortunately all those landings have resulted in a broken mount.
Does anyone have details on the front left hand attachment tab on the Starduster Too fuselage? What material thickness should this be? Angles, and length , etc.?
Dennis my friend, here are the drawings. Dave
Landing gear Info 1 small.jpg   Landing Gear Info 2 small.jpg   Landing Gear Info 3 small.jpg   Landing Gear Info 4 small.jpg   Landing Gear Info 5 small.jpg  

flyingvette Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #6
flyingvette
Registered Users

Thank you Dave, I feel horrible for breaking my airplane, I'm just glad it was not any worse.
I actually think this has been bent slightly for some time. It just recently bent all the way. Crosswind landings on pavement are not good for the gear.
I will use your information to get this repaired. Thanks again, this is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 634 Times on 458 Posts

I've been wondering how this plane was doing. It's one of the Best looking Starduster Toos ever built. I love all the fairings! Any molds for any of them? When you can can you take some pics of how the spinner is attached to the Aeromatic? Huge fan of the Unique engined Starduster Toos. Can you tell us some performance numbers you see in this one?

I'm slowly, but surely restoring the Ranger inline powered Starduster Too. After hearing about all the truss failures Dave was kind enough to help me out and he built a thicker wall and larger diameter gear truss I installed during this restore. Does yours have the beefy truss? If not this would be a great time to add the thicker wall and larger diameter truss...not alot more work since you will be in that area already.
flyingvette Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

BTW I'm having some larger wheel pants made for mine...much like the Culp Special. Your plane would really look great with a set of larger pants and wheels. (It does now, I just like the look of the classics with the big pants). If your interested I'll be posting pics of them when I get them back in a couple weeks. (I dropped off some molds I bought at a local composite shop and they are making me a set...anyone on here if interested is welcome to have a set made off my molds for whatever the cost is...I'll post that as well. I'm assured it will be no more than 700-1000 for the set)
flyingvette Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #9
Dave Baxter

Liked 419 Times on 246 Posts

Dennis, you are most welcome,but at least you did not have the gear collapse, and a prop strike! You might also consider beefing up the truss when you have it apart, as many of these airplanes have suffered truss failure due to to small of safety cables, and multiple hard landings, ask me how I know?

Some time back, I asked Randy, one of the main contributors to the Skybolt builders manual that he and Beej assembled, my question was that I thought the truss might be a bit undersize, as the Starduster is .058, the Skybolt is IE: 1".049 4130 tubing, and his comment was, it is perfectly fine and more than strong enough if every landing you make the wheels are several inches off the ground when the airplane stalls! I would certainly agree, but many landings are not! So my suggestion is to make all landings with the wheels only several inches from the runway when the airplane stalls, you can do that right? Dave
flyingvette Likes This 
Old 09-14-2017, 12:15 AM   #10
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Dave, while that is sound advise, I'm VERY glad you built me the thicker wall and larger diameter truss. It's also a "M" vs the plans "V" in the middle. The one you made for me on your jig is certainly what I'd want if I was doing a new build or repairing any Starduster Too. I can't recall sizes but I think it's 071 thick and either 1.25" or 1".

Old 09-14-2017, 02:47 AM   #11
Knight Twister

Unusual for a Starduster front gear fitting to bend. They are a stout lug. The airplane I just finished repairing had the rear fitting fail on the left gear causing the front fitting to tear.
IMG_20170831_140221691_HDR.jpg  

Old 09-14-2017, 03:50 AM   #12
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Send a message via MSN to Timbob

On mine it looks like the "give" was the tubes around the cluster....

Old 09-14-2017, 05:56 AM   #13
flyingvette
Registered Users

I have not fully disassembled my landing gear yet, I wanted to know what I was dealing with first. So far it looks like only the front tab is broken, the gear legs and crossmember do not look damaged. I will inspect everything more when I get some new material and will keep you all posted of my findings.
Thank you all for your comments, I am finding this all very helpful !

Lotahp1, I do not have any molds for the fairings, only one for the wheel pant. I will post more info on the plane when I have more time. Thanks and will keep you updated.
image.jpg  

Old 09-15-2017, 02:27 AM   #14
Knight Twister

I recommend looking at the rear fittings real good. Your front fitting moved quite a bit. Here is an after shot.
IMG_20170914_171644710.jpg  

Old 09-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #15
Larry Lyons
Registered Users

Liked 736 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Vette that is a beautiful bird!

Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

To reduce stress I do yoga. Kidding! I just drink beer wearing sweat pants.