The Biplane Forum > Biplane Technical Forums > Firewall Forward & Fuel System > Inverted Oil

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Inverted Oil

I'm doing my annual and pulled all the covers off the belly to get to everything.. I wash/wipe/Clean off the belly every flight ( I HAVE TO) due to the Inverted oil outlet dumping a Thimble of Oil out every time I transition upside down to right side up. Ok, I am measuring and looking to put Smoke on the plane, (after finding all that OIL CRUDE under my belly I am rethinking THAT!) so I am wondering why I wouldn't hook the the Christen Inverted Oil outlet to an exhaust and let it burn? It's zero pressure is probably why, but has anyone done this? Would it work?

Old 04-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
cgzro
Peter Ashwood-Smith P

Liked 243 Times on 174 Posts

is it not vented to the rear of the plane? So all it does is lube the tail wheel? Thats what most certified planes do. Extra/Pitts.

Smoke wont make a mess if its properly setup with proper fluid.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r

Nope the last rebuild has it's exit orifice between the main gear...So every flight I have crawl under with two wet rags ( one with diluted Dawn) and wipe my belly down, all the way to my tail wheel! Thing is, I THOUGHT I was keeping it clean, that oil gets between all my sheet metal, and congeals.. Soooo I will need to do something..

Old 04-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
bf92

Liked 314 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It is very common among the Red Bull racers, and many others as well, to dump the engine breather into the exhaust system. I have this setup on my M-14P, and it made quite a difference in the amount of oil on the belly.

On my Pitts, I had smoke oil condensing in the tail every season. I would have to spread absorbent in the tail on the belly fabric, let it soak overnight, then vacuum it up with wand the next day. As for the best smoke oil to avoid this, I just went through a drum of Super Dri, and it was the best smoke oil I've ever used. White, full and thick, and it left virtually zero residue on the airplane. It's a bit pricey, but well worth the money.

Danny

Old 04-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
marquartflyer
Registered Users

Liked 98 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 68

On the Marquart I had, I dumped breather into exhaust, will be the same for the Laser
Here's the Marquart (with no smoke system) showing the breather dump works
https://www.facebook.com/chad.battel...type=2&theater

Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r

Thanks, I think I will do that! Go straight to the exhaust and leave off the tubes.. It's a lot shorter distance and perhaps I can do it with out getting out a SawsAll! My friends encourage me to leave those and hammers at home.. The Facebook link isn't working on my computer for some reason.. Any pics of direction would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r

Is it a special fitting/nozzle? I guess it just dribbles into exhaust, almost zero pressure? There a checkvalve to keep it from back flowing? Would you put it Downstream or upstream of the Smoke Injectors?

Old 04-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
cgzro
Peter Ashwood-Smith P

For smoke oil try NOCO BL050HT or PRIME . its low viscosity like Super Dri and a bit cheaper. The thicker stuff like Canous makes a mess.

If the injectors pre-heat slightly that helps too. This little trick is a simple way to preheat a bit and simply attach an injector.

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1492527673.700960.jpg
jjiimm_64 Likes This 
Old 04-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r

I saw that in another thread about "how much Smoke" thank you for sharing! Would that work with low pressure Dribble Oil from my breather? Your "Preheater" is a great idea! and I will probably go that route, I am thinking I need a straight tube almost parallel to the Exhaust to allow the oil to dribble. Probably a check valve too of some sort..

Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
StinsonPilot

Liked 613 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Good idea.

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

Steen Skybolt
Stinson 108-2

Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
cgzro
Peter Ashwood-Smith P

Its an old RC trick which I just reused.. but turns out it not only pre heats but the injector is trivial to make and attach. win win. I thought about zig zagging the injector to increase its surface contact but it works so well i never botherd. Also thats now STCd for my plane.

No idea how it would work with blow by since there is no real pressure pushing the blow by oil. Smoke has 15-20psi at that point.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #12
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r

Check out this video..

He was using an AntiSplataAero kit that dumped his breather oil into his Exhaust system.. He states during the video that it was used for some 160 some odd hours before it plugged up and caused an engine failure. I will be building into mine a bypass and checking annually! Thanks to marquartflyer for all his info. Perhaps from all this we can all figure out a safe functional system, and time frame to check that system..

Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #13
cwilliamrose

Liked 1356 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is a known issue and a maintenance item for each annual according to what I have read. I thought the resulting problem was a blown out front seal but you're saying there was an engine failure? Wow.

Project:Stretched Pitts S-1SS

Old 04-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
cgzro
Peter Ashwood-Smith P

Ouch!!

In the winter its not uncommon to see ice on the breather where it exits the fuse in a Pitts. If it plugs you blow the front seal and out goes your oil, same result.

To minimize this risk there is a small hole drilled in the top side of the breather firewall fitting. In the winter you uncover it (slide the hose back)

It dribbles some oil when inverted but you can put an elastic band over it to minimize the oil and still pop if the breather blocks... probably wise to do something similar. Or put a 5psi one way check valve in there.

In mine I take the hose clamp off the engine side of the firewall fitting and grease up the tube so the hose to the separator can pop off the firewall fitting if pressure builds up.. simple and no mess. Check its free to slip when you check the oil.
yhuubert Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #15
race38

Location: Owings, MD Based @ MD22 at the DEALE Intersection unhappily inside the SFRA.
Liked 212 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 50

It's fairly obvious it wasn't drawing a vacuum at the installed location.
From all the installs I've seen (auto racing apps), the tube needs to project into the exhaust pipe an inch and should be sliced parallel to the exhaust flow. If only installed on 2 cylinders, I doubt there will be enough draw to keep clear, unless the optimum location for vacuum is found.

Clipt Cubby
Tailwind
Pitts project on deck

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Old 04-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #16
lanceav8r
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Send a message via MSN to lanceav8r

I have my oil vented to the 4:1 exhaust collector. I plan to ALSO install a bypass vent/valve for safety and ALSO inspect at every oil change.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #17
planebuilder
Registered Users

Liked 188 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Frozen vent lines are a common problem in Canada. We use a sharp knife to cut a 1" slit in the top side of the rubber vent hose, parallel to the length of the hose, close to where it enters the engine. It's practically invisible and doesn't leak. If the bottom end freezes and pressure builds up it just opens and vents.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #18
PittsDriver68
Registered Users

Liked 941 Times on 674 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That explains the cut in the hose on my S-2A which spent the first 25 years of its life in Ontario.

Best of luck,

Wes