The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > Starduster Too Slow Build in Ohio

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Airplanebarn
Cessna 120 owner , Getting Tailwheel experience for a Starduster Too later !

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Default Starduster Too Slow Build in Ohio

I'm back to building a Starduster Too . Bought The Plans years ago and got side tracked . Trading Up in the Family Airplane area so this Build will be low budget for awhile . I have enjoyed this Forum and learned a lot . I'm having some questions so , I decided it's time to contribute and be more active .
In looking over the Plans I just noticed the Center Section Spars are covered full length with .100 Birch . the spar is 58 inches long. Could this plating be scarfed together ( I have 48 inch ply sheets ) or should I get a full 4x8 sheet so the plates are one piece ?
Terry Ridgeway
Cessna 120 owner moving up to a Cardinal ...sometime soon

DTP Likes This 
Old 02-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
Dave Baxter
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 434 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Terry I can see no reason why you could not scarf the full length scab plates on the center section of the SA-300 Starduster Too.

Are you going to build the center section with the fuel tank, or the one with out? Dave

Airplanebarn Likes This 
Old 02-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Airplanebarn

Dave , Thanx ! Good to know , I was hoping it would work . Yes I am going to put the fuel tank Up There ... I think having extra fuel along might be a good thing going to Fly Ins and Traveling . Do most people install them ?

Old 02-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #4
Dave Baxter
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 434 Times on 258 Posts

Terry yes most do install a fuel tank in the center section, and if one plans on going anywhere with two up it can make flying somewhere much more comfortable, at least for the pilot!
Airplanebarn Likes This 
Old 02-18-2017, 03:24 AM   #5
DTP
Registered Users

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanebarn View Post
I'm back to building a Starduster Too . Bought The Plans years ago and got side tracked . Trading Up in the Family Airplane area so this Build will be low budget for awhile . I have enjoyed this Forum and learned a lot . I'm having some questions so , I decided it's time to contribute and be more active .
In looking over the Plans I just noticed the Center Section Spars are covered full length with .100 Birch . the spar is 58 inches long. Could this plating be scarfed together ( I have 48 inch ply sheets ) or should I get a full 4x8 sheet so the plates are one piece ?
Terry Ridgeway
Im using spruce 58" long solid wood.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
Airplanebarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP View Post
Im using spruce 58" long solid wood.
So you're Plating the Spar with Spruce that is 3/32 thick ? On both sides ? Where did you get it ?
Terry

Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
DTP
Registered Users

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Center Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanebarn View Post
Terry Ridgeway
Hey Terry I've got two sets of plans one has only end plates 5MM and the other has full length plates. It doesn't tell me you can any where it can be two pieces. that being said it doesn't say you can't. I'm rarely on this site but ill be more diligent. I located in Perrysburg and I too am working on my last component the center section. DTP
Airplanebarn Likes This 
Old 04-03-2017, 04:14 AM   #8
DTP
Registered Users

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Menards

Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #9
tigwelder72
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Location: I live in Everett,Wa. just north of Paine Field. A great location if you like airplanes.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Suggestion on what to do with the birch ply wood.

[ QUOTE=Airplanebarn;165853]I'm back to building a Starduster Too . Bought The Plans years ago and got side tracked . Trading Up in the Family Airplane area so this Build will be low budget for awhile . I have enjoyed this Forum and learned a lot . I'm having some questions so , I decided it's time to contribute and be more active .
Terry Ridgeway
Cessna 120 owner moving up to a Cardinal ...sometime soon[/QUOTE]
I have done this before. You are better of making it on piece. You will save time and extra labor by not taking the time to do the scarfing. I to am a starduster builder. I am about 1000 hrs from finishing. I have had lots of stops and starts over the past 20 years. Dave Baxter and Larry Sittaeur have been helpful.
Airplanebarn Likes This 
Old 04-20-2017, 04:11 AM   #10
Airplanebarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder72 View Post
[ QUOTE=Airplanebarn;165853]I'm back to building a Starduster Too . Bought The Plans years ago and got side tracked . Trading Up in the Family Airplane area so this Build will be low budget for awhile . I have enjoyed this Forum and learned a lot . I'm having some questions so , I decided it's time to contribute and be more active .
Terry Ridgeway
I have done this before. You are better of making it on piece. You will save time and extra labor by not taking the time to do the scarfing. I to am a starduster builder. I am about 1000 hrs from finishing. I have had lots of stops and starts over the past 20 years. Dave Baxter and Larry Sittaeur have been helpful.[/QUOTE]

Well I have more time than money ...lol ... I was trying NOT to have to buy a Whole Sheet and pay extra for shipping . I'm planning on make a Jig of sorts to make this easier and uniformly . I enjoy a challenge .
I agree the guys here are a great help , especially Dave Baxter , as he has been there for me over the years including phone calls . We're really lucky to have him helping fellow Starduster Fans ! Thanks Dave !

Old 05-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
hdholsinger
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Terry - i also live in the buckeye state and am in the process of getting my garage ready to begin my starduster too build. I am not aware of any other builds going on in ohio. I would like to make you a local poc to compare notes share progress. I have a pataskala (suburb of columbus) address which is in licking county. What part of the state are you in?
Airplanebarn Likes This 
Old 05-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #12
mreinh3233
Registered Users

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 201

I really like my SA300. Well worth the effort and time. I have the wing tank installed but to tell the truth my butt gives out well before the fuel in the main tank. If you plan on the larger engine and long cross countries (If your butt can hold up) you'll probably want the extra fuel. A smaller engine like mine (O-320) and if your not in a hurry it's just extra weight. That's my .02$ .

Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
Airplanebarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdholsinger View Post
Terry - i also live in the buckeye state and am in the process of getting my garage ready to begin my starduster too build. I am not aware of any other builds going on in ohio. I would like to make you a local poc to compare notes share progress. I have a pataskala (suburb of columbus) address which is in licking county. What part of the state are you in?
Hey ! Great to hear from You ! I live in Jackson , Jackson County . Between Chillicothe and The Ohio River .. ya know ? Don't worry about getting your garage in order ... you start out making small parts for awhile . Just clear out enough room for whatever tools and material you're working on at the time , and get making Parts ! My shop is a Mess ! I take pictures of The Build in progress and the backgrounds look like I'm in a junkyard ! Ok well ...

Yep ... let's get in touch . My e mail is airplanebarn@yahoo.com drop me a note .

What's a poc ? I'm better with wood and metal work than computer,s ...LOL
Looking forward to sharing The Fun as we construct these Dusters !

Old 05-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Airplanebarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreinh3233 View Post
I really like my SA300. Well worth the effort and time. I have the wing tank installed but to tell the truth my butt gives out well before the fuel in the main tank. If you plan on the larger engine and long cross countries (If your butt can hold up) you'll probably want the extra fuel. A smaller engine like mine (O-320) and if your not in a hurry it's just extra weight. That's my .02$ .
Well that's what we're here for ... getting other peoples' opinions ! Thanx for Yours ! I'm just planning ahead . I have been to Flyins in my Cessna 120 , and planned on picking up some fuel There . Sometimes it is a pain in the seat getting that accomplished Soooo I plan on having extra fuel along to Get There and Back . Time will tell if I ever use that much .

Old 05-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #15
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 792 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 540

POC- point of contact?
2Cor5:17

Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
tigwelder72
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Location: I live in Everett,Wa. just north of Paine Field. A great location if you like airplanes.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

There is many small parts to be made for the center section. I rented a planner and milled my own spars to the right thickness then I used my table saw to get them to the right widths
for the forward & rear spars. When the wood was just fresh cut, I had the my 2.5 mill. birch plywood ready to glue on.(I used Aero- lite glue to start.) Tacked some nails to keep it from
sliding and laid a scrap piece 2x6 for a strong back and clamped it to my jury rigged 6' bench I set up in my kitchen where it was warm so the glue would dry properly. Long story short-- Get lots of furniture clamps, c-clamps and lots of different sizes of spring clamps. The are handy and will last you throughout the project. (P.S .I made my own wing tank for the center section too!) Questions, feel free to post top me)
Airplanebarn Likes This 
Old 05-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Randy
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Starduster Too Slow Build in Ohio

Just a small note on using spring clamps on glue ups. Take a "C" clamp, or almosat any other type clamp, and screw it on your finger in it until it feels about right for a glue up. The clamp pressure will stay at that same rate until the glue dries. Constant pressure but not painful. Now snap a spring clamp on that same finger. It will apply painful pressure and it will not stop. It will keep squeezing until it squeezes the glue out of the joint.

Randy
Airplanebarn Likes This