The Biplane Forum > Biplane Technical Forums > Firewall Forward & Fuel System > Electronic fuel injection and ignition.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
Anthos92
Registered Users

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Electronic fuel injection and ignition.

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone is currently using either an EFII or SDS electronic fuel injection and ignition system on their Lycoming powered bipe? I'm keen to hear what peoples reviews are of either of these systems especially during aerobatic use.

Cheers,

Antho.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
TFF1
Registered Users

Liked 437 Times on 339 Posts

Toobuilder is putting one on his Harmon Rocket http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...ad.php?t=26077 I think he might have a thread here too. I'm sure he will comment in time.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Bond007
Registered Users

Liked 49 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's all about dependibilty,hard to beet Bendix fuel injection
All I can say is get familiar with the dead stick gliding characteristics of your plane
Bond 007
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #4
biplanebob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 296 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1581

Bendix fuel injection, Bendix or Slick magnetos,
they are a known entity and they work.

Bob

I'm not against advancing technology, but, I think that by the time we finish our airplanes,
we want to fly rather than experiment.

Built and flying a Willie II Biplane

Last edited by biplanebob; 07-16-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:46 AM   #5
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 792 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 540

"All I can say is get familiar with the dead stick gliding characteristics of your plane"

Like look at LE of lower wing to see where you will land.

I might consider experimental engine stuff on something cub like at a field with enough runway but our little biplanes can be quite unforgiving.

FWIW
2Cor5:17
Larry Lyons Likes This 
Old 07-17-2017, 03:11 AM   #6
TFF1
Registered Users

My opinion is it will be just fine. You just have to recognize failure modes are different. Normal airplane needs has two mags and the fuel system. With EFI its all in one. The parts are probably more reliable overall but its a one and done where normal airplane needs both mags or both fuel pumps to go. A friend was flying his Mooney to see his mom. After dinner she took him to the airport; its dark. He took off and all the power shut down. His mom thought he crashed because all the lights were gone. The alternator went shorting everything for a second. He popped the gear CB back in dropped the gear and brought it around to land. If it was EFI without some kind of backup, he would have been in the corn or worse. Its not that it will happen to you, but it will happen to someone.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
ioneater
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 67 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If I were building a plane with a flat engine, I would be going the route the OP is asking about. The tech is not new in the experimental world. Perhaps not on biplanes. There are simple ways to mitigate the risk associated with a loss of primary electrical power. One magneto can be installed and/or a dedicated backup battery to cover the injection side as well. The EFI and ignition folks provide suggestions to address the risk. The benefits in efficiency, performance and overall reliability are tantalizing. Vendor support if something breaks, I don't know. I bet the RV guys have all kinds of info from the user perspective. I would go with what works for them as they seem to be driving the train for non-legacy fuel and ignition system development.

I went through something like this while riding off road/enduro in some austere conditions(Baja, Cascade Mountains etc). My then new Husqvarna had cutting edge throttle body EFI, something very unique in 2008. The injection system was made by Mikuni, even more unique in the single cylinder injection world. We had all kinds of problems with them. The factory support sucked, dealer support was ok, fellow riders of the bikes the most helpful. The system had to have a battery installed and connected and putting out at least 5Vdc. When it ran, it ran well. If one of the cables vibrated loose, it ran intermittently, which is worse than not running at all in some situations. I ended up over the bars a couple of times before figuring it out. The reputation for the bikes with that initial implementation was not good. I never rode alone and always carried a spare Lithium battery in the pack. Later year models were fitted with a Keihin system, a much better solution. Thankfully, we were not in the air with nowhere to go but down while learning all about our new tech's quirks!

Arm yourself with knowledge!

Model 12 in progress
N13BG
SN: 363

Old 07-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
TFF1
Registered Users

You will loose a lot of efficiency if you stick a fixed timing mag on the engine. Once the timing advances, you are essentially only using one ignition source; the other is firing after the fact. It would be like flying on one mag. At least a P mag, but its independent so it is rouge to what the computer wants. Its really an all or nothing thing.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
Morphewb
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 430 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 74

We've embraced the electronic whiz bang sh!t in our ground base vehicles because we really didn't have a choice that I can remember. At least we still have a choice here. For us, sport flying and aerobatics, whiz bang setup seems to be wasted technology for this particular use. A lot of money spent for not much return from the investment.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #10
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

Great return for people who want to run with the "old" "outdated" stuff and can pick it up on the cheap from upgraders, though.