The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Other Types > Replica Plans SE-5A build

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #51
cavelamb
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There was an article in Experimenter about Chuck Beeson way back years ago.
It was June 1988 issue, written by Dick Cavin.
Text at:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00415.html
Chuck's airplanes were more intuitive design than engineering, but they flew well.
He'd build one and sell it, then build another one, and sell it...

About 1999, Chuck decided he wanted to build an SE5A and asked me to work up some drawings for him. I won't call them "plans", because they were at most just shape.
Chuck had his own construction techniques evolved around riveted extruded aluminum angle trusses and aluminum tube spar wings. Anyway, I drew these sketches for him and he built the airplane - in six to eight weeks - then spent another three or four weeks adapting a Rotax B box to a Geo three cylinder engine.
It was sold before it was even completed.
The airplane looked great and flew well - up to the day the Geo came apart.
He had turned down the flywheel to save some weight. Turns out the Geo 3 banger needs the whole flywheel to avoid some resonance issues. So back to the shop for a new flywheel.

Not at all in the same league as some builders, but a successful project.
Interesting fellow.

Wish I had better pictures of it...

se5-01.jpg   se5-m.jpg  

Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #52
mtgunner
mtgunner

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

That is remarkable that he built it in 6 to 8 weeks and it looks great too. I belong to the Replica Fighters Association and write the column "The SE-5A Squadron" for our magazine. Do you mind if I use this story in our magazine?
Mark

Old 04-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #53
cavelamb
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't mind, and I'm sure Chuck would be tickled.
Reference the Experimenter article too.

Chuck's workmanship may be called crude by some, but he got it done.
And fast.

You might want to give him a call.
He's still at Zuehl Field
Chuck006.jpg   Chuck-SE5-1.jpg   route01.jpg  

Old 07-02-2017, 02:42 AM   #54
mtgunner
mtgunner

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Cavelamb I did not get an article written about Chuck in the July issue of our magazine as I had quite a few articles to get into the editor. I will however keep it in mind for our next issue in December. A friend of mine had the idea of building a flight simulator at his house so I am helping him with that. When we make some good progress I will post some pictures. The simulator is going to have 6 degrees of freedom which means it will have 6 directions of movement. It will have the normal pitch, yaw and roll but also will have vertical, lateral and longitudinal movement. With that it should feel just like a real airplane. It will be interesting and a great piece of equipment to practice on.
Mark

Old 07-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #55
cavelamb
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A six axis motion platform is quite a complex machine!
Pitch
Roll
Yaw
Acceleration (fore/aft)
Translation (side to side)
Heave (up/down)

I'd love to see what he comes up with!

I have dual service.
Army helicopter crewchief (OH6A) and Navy flight Simulator technician.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #56
mtgunner
mtgunner

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I think we are going to put the base together today and mount the motors and gear boxes. I will get some pics and post them. He is and electrical engineer at Oshkosh Corporation, his son is a computer programmer and I am an A&P and worked at Basler Turbo Conversions for 16 years, so between us I think we can make a really nice simulator.
Mark

Old 07-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #57
mtgunner
mtgunner

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Cavelamb here is a link to a few pictures of what we have on the flight simulator so far. We got the base assembled yesterday and the motor/gear boxes mounted. The aluminum for the upper deck came yesterday so when we get our order of metal for assembly plates and rods we can begin to assemble the upper deck and hopefully get some movement on it pretty soon. It is proving to be very interesting and fun and will give a very realistic flight simulation. http://www.biplaneforum.com/photo/al...lator-366.html
Mark

Old 08-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #58
mtgunner
mtgunner

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Does anyone know of other people that are building or have built the Replica Plans SE5A. A friend of mine "Smokey" and I have been discussing a discrepancy we noticed on the plans for building the wing center section. The outer wing panels use a spar 3/4" x 4" and the plans show that the same ribs are used for the outer wing panels and the center section. However the center section plans call for a spar that is 7/8" x 4 3/8". The thickness of the spar is easy to work around as we will just shave 1/16" off from the rib webs and that will keep the spars the same distance apart so they align with the attach points in the fuselage. However the height of this spar will not fit in the ribs so we are wondering if there is a typo on the plans or is there something else that we are missing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mark