The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > SA-100 info

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #51
Knight Twister

Liked 925 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridman View Post
Mine has the jack screw, its fine the way its built.
I didn't say it was a bad design. I said not many were built that way, which is true.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #52
budlib
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dana,

Here's my $0.02, for what it's worth:

I purchased N73CV, (pictured in Dave Baxter's first post) a 1973 scratch-built SA-100 in near new condition (49 hrs.) without an engine. I installed a used O-290-D2-B, wood prop (less wt.) and light weight starter. No. 1 cylinder was recently given fresh rings and have consistent compression (78 psi) over the last 400 hours on all cylinders. Very reliable with enough power for mountain flying. Just did my annual yesterday with no surprises. My mechanic agrees about the difficulty finding parts available for this engine. When & if the time comes, I'll look for an O-320 to replace it.

As for experience, I had zero tailwheel time when I purchased it. Got lots of info. both here and from other former owners about it's handling. But of course, there is no substitute for experience so I went about learning this airplane cautiously, on grass and eventually put 5 hours on the tach just taxiing. Everything was different from what Cessnas I had flown before from the sight picture to it's handling. Eventually I worked up to high speed taxiing and got comfortable with directional control and the sensitivity of the brakes. I find the rudder to be quite effective. Be extra careful when you go to pavement.

My tailwheel endorsement was in a Taylorcraft. Very dissimilar. My insurance wanted me to get additional, dual time and they agreed to OK hours in a Great Lakes. Again, very dissimilar., but that was the only tailwheel biplane locally available.

This airplane will put a permanent smile on your face! You'll never go anywhere without someone calling it either cute or cool. My only negative is the small fuel capacity, 16 gals.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #53
jjiimm_64
Thank bitcoin for biplane!

Likes Given: 1

Default N54cs

Dana,
I am near philadelphia and have an SA300 that is a baby to land.. I bought it with very little tail wheel experience and got my endorsement in N54CS. The CS stands for Charlie Sanderson, who built the plane. (and by the way also welded the frame we are building another).

If you want to come to phili, I can have my CFI give you a lesson in the sa300.

Jim

Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #54
Dana
Registered Users

Liked 99 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjiimm_64 View Post
If you want to come to phili, I can have my CFI give you a lesson in the sa300.
I was going to just go for it and unsuccessfully tried to pick it up this week, as related in the "Memphis to CT" thread in hangar flying, but if some dual can be had, that's a good thing... Jim, I'll send you a PM.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #55
budlib
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dana, Congratulations on acquiring your new lover. You'll be hooked in no time and loving it.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #56
Son of toot
Registered Users

Liked 84 Times on 39 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Son of toot

Lots of pictures! I used original Little Toot Cowling and made a plug and extended it! Lots of added sheet metal and auto filler! Sand my UT off, primed it and Kaye's up layer after layer or woven riven glass andcpleted the mold! If you would like to call here is my phone number 817-269-9292

Old 04-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #57
Dana
Registered Users

Liked 99 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 36

A big thanks to Jim for letting me fly his SA300. With the rain and low ceilings we only had time for three landings but I felt very comfortable with it and feel a lot better about jumping in the single seater.

Off to Memphis today!

Old 04-26-2017, 12:39 AM   #58
jjiimm_64
Thank bitcoin for biplane!

Dana,
Your very welcome.. hope to see you in Delaware on July 8th.