The Biplane Forum > Biplane Technical Forums > Fabric & Paint > Beej's Fabric

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:48 AM   #101
Beej
Creator of this place
BiP_ADMIN.png

Liked 609 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
Even if you paint vertically you can mask horizontal. At least I always did....
Well, I suppose you can mask in any attitude. The point I was making was that in the vertical, you can spray both sides without masking if you want to, where horizontally, you have to soft mask and do one side at a time. Unless you do a Smizo trick and spray inverted, but that looks like it works on clear, if you are good, I don't think I could spray inverted like that.

Get your biplane forum cap here

Old 11-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #102
Larry Lyons
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 788 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

Ever seen a show car or a 747 laid on its side for paint? More prep but vertical works very well just a bit more practice and preparation. My opinion only and worth every penny you paid for it.

Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

In dog beers I've only had one!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #103
taff
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 746 Times on 555 Posts
Likes Given: 1370

I understand Beej is going to play with design, like a puzzle.

It would be a lot easier to lay out and measure when the wing is horizontal (flat). One could lay the masking paper on the wing and cut with a scissors the intricate curves etc. That would be more difficult with air and gravity in between the artist and his canvas.

The wings are vertical.
If for example you tape up for the design and spray the second (or third) color. Then later you clear coat. There will be sharp edges of paint from the masking. These edges will be a holding point for the flowing clear coat to accumulate and will be a high risk of running. = a real, real bad day. And very, very tough to repair.

I recall when sides of 18 wheel trucks and trailers were painted, these days the art/design work is more vinyl.

I am not saying that it is out of the question. Air brush work on Chevy trucks is still in the game.

Some even painted upside down. Now that must have been a task, how did Michelangelo do it!
IMG02648[1] (1280x824).jpg  

Really! did everyone go to the moon? I was left behind I think . It was the 60's

Old 11-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #104
Beej
Creator of this place
BiP_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff View Post
I understand Beej is going to play with design, like a puzzle.

It would be a lot easier to lay out and measure when the wing is horizontal (flat). One could lay the masking paper on the wing and cut with a scissors the intricate curves etc. That would be more difficult with air and gravity in between the artist and his canvas.

The wings are vertical.
If for example you tape up for the design and spray the second (or third) color. Then later you clear coat. There will be sharp edges of paint from the masking. These edges will be a holding point for the flowing clear coat to accumulate and will be a high risk of running. = a real, real bad day. And very, very tough to repair.

I recall when sides of 18 wheel trucks and trailers were painted, these days the art/design work is more vinyl.

I am not saying that it is out of the question. Air brush work on Chevy trucks is still in the game.

Some even painted upside down. Now that must have been a task, how did Michelangelo do it!
<The wings are vertical.
>

The whole point of me wanting to clear coat is to eradicate any paint high spots/ridges caused by stripes/graphics etc, so, there is many many hours of prep sanding for smoothness, before clear coat. So, moot? Or did I misunderstand your comment?

Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #105
Beej
Creator of this place
BiP_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post
<The wings are vertical.
>

The whole point of me wanting to clear coat is to eradicate any paint high spots/ridges caused by stripes/graphics etc, so, there is many many hours of prep sanding for smoothness, before clear coat. So, moot? Or did I misunderstand your comment?
<I am not saying that it is out of the question. Air brush work on Chevy trucks is still in the game.>

Well, I hope not, because I am not turning the fuselage on its side!

Old 11-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #106
taff
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
>
Understood.

If I get it right, You spray the second color and let dry. Remove the masking tape (before or after dry). After drying the paint edge or burr is more pronounced.
But anyway, there will be an edge. As you say, your going to smooth the edge considerably by wet sanding.

Your spraying the second color only to get color and not to get build (build = film thickness = bad in this case because there will be more paint edge at the masking line)

Be careful that the color doesn't wear away off or from the edge. This is even more difficult because your sanding on fabric. This gives under pressure as compared to metal and you will tend to apply a little more elbow grease or "down into" pressure to just get the burr.

Really! did everyone go to the moon? I was left behind I think . It was the 60's

Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #107
taff
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
<I am not saying that it is out of the question. Air brush work on Chevy trucks is still in the game.>

Well, I hope not, because I am not turning the fuselage on its side!
The difference between the wings and the side of the fuselage.
To the observer, the wings lay flat and of course the fuselage will be the side.
My analogy to this is, your car. The quality gloss/orange peel etc. is much better on the hood (flat) as compared to the door (side) for example. (Bumpers are low on the totem pole) If you layed the door and the hood side by side there would be a very big difference of appearance.

As some have said earlier, you will get better flow, less orange peel and gloss and virtually eliminate runs when the object is laying horizontal.

As to the sides of the fuselage and the sides of the car, we don't notice it as much and it is quite acceptable.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #108
Beej
Creator of this place
BiP_ADMIN.png

When I finally get to see Smizo's plane, you will see me bending over sideways, looking down his fuselage.....
People Like This 
Old 11-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #109
Neil
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 775 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
When I finally get to see Smizo's plane, you will see me bending over sideways, looking down his fuselage.....
Saw it this weekend. Don't bother, it looks good all over.

Plans #425