The Biplane Forum > Biplane Technical Forums > Fabric & Paint > Rolling poly fiber

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:27 AM   #1
bulldog105
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rolling poly fiber

Has anyone had experience, or heard of, rolling poly fiber paint?

One rumor I heard was to the to thin to near 50-50 and use a close napped roller.

Sometimes it is not possible to spray.

Cheers,

Ed

Last edited by bulldog105; 11-29-2017 at 05:28 AM. Reason: poor english

Old 11-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
race38
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Location: Owings, MD Based @ MD22 at the DEALE Intersection unhappily inside the SFRA.
Liked 230 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I donít think 50/50 is a good ratio. The other thing to think on is can the rollers handle the solvent based product.
Iíve rolled stuff but not poly fiber. See my reply in latex paint.

Clipt Cubby
Tailwind
Pitts project on deck

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Old 11-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
bulldog105
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One of the bits of this information was that one: it must be done with very cold Poly-paint 50-55^F, (it allows flow out) the other being to use a "wire roller" which I have never heard of.
Yes, the material of the roller is a is factor.

Thanks,

Ed

Old 12-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
bulldog105
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After much more research I have found that the the wire roller comment was meant to mean a small foam roller with a wire type frame. The difficulty will be in procuring a roller that is not attacked by MEK.
In addition....the amount of reducer will be in the ballpark of 10-15% greater. The problem will be in 'runs' at the higher amounts of reducer. The point of rolling at low temperatures still holds in that it allows a longer flow out period.

Cheers

Ed

Old 12-05-2017, 02:27 AM   #5
taff
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Maybe this roller would work. 95535T93
What PolyFiber material are you wanting to roller?
You say "resistant to MEK" so I'm thinking PolySpray and PolyTone.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#paint-rollers/=1ajmh0a

Old 12-05-2017, 03:16 AM   #6
TFF1
Registered Users

Liked 479 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I stopped thinning poly brush. It is thin without thinning. Rolling it on; I would not. One problem is because of the strong thinners, the roller has just as much chance to pull the old coat off as deposit a new one. One time I brushed a second coat of polybrush on, and you could tell the brush was cutting in on the first coat. I can see it when I look at that panel. Silver, not on something I care about trying. On another forum someone is rolling Polytone on a UL; not a show finish. If you could draw off some of the solvents, it might be better. I bet it will be heavy.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
taff
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFF1 View Post
I stopped thinning poly brush. It is thin without thinning. Rolling it on; I would not. One problem is because of the strong thinners, the roller has just as much chance to pull the old coat off as deposit a new one. One time I brushed a second coat of polybrush on, and you could tell the brush was cutting in on the first coat. I can see it when I look at that panel. Silver, not on something I care about trying. On another forum someone is rolling Polytone on a UL; not a show finish. If you could draw off some of the solvents, it might be better. I bet it will be heavy.
That's a god point, about PolyBrush. It has to be brushed, to transfer itself through the fabric. It's written in the tech manual for the product.
Also the other products. Only one coat with a roller, another application and the first layer will dissolve making a mess.
So when you think about it. These thermoplastic products are for the "no touch" spray application.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 PM   #8
bulldog105
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A quick tutorial on Poly-paints. They are all Toluene to MEK base. You are performing a chemical bond. Not a mechanical bond. Nothing will stick to Dacron. So to attach Poly-paint to Dacron you must 'encapsulate' the Dacron. This is done by brushing the first coat, so as to push the poly brush thru the fabric. The second coat (sprayed on) will chemically bond itself to the first coat (dissolve and mix to top and bottom of fabric, so to speak). One could, with a very light touch, brush the remaining coats on. The problem would be the brush breaking into the underlying surface and making a mess. The one comment was correct in that from 2nd coat to last, it is a no touch process.

However...there are times when painting a small, unusual portion, that spraying will not work. Thus this discussion about how to tackle said problem. By NO means would I advocate brushing or rolling the entire aeroplane.

Things I have found on this cover job that helped: Baking parchment (ask your wife, she knows) instead of aluminum foil. 2) Coffee filters instead on paper towels or rags.

Cheers,

Ed

"yes Ed, that was a nice landing. No, Ed you can not put another notch in the propeller."

Last edited by bulldog105; 12-05-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling-grammer