The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Pitts > Pitts Miscellaneous > How Do I Quieten my S1-S?

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #51
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 830 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobuilder View Post
A simple downturn tip made a big difference on the 4-1 on my Hiperbipe

Same for me. 4-2 stock PA30 pipes on the Acroduster were %$^%$ painful wearing earplugs and shooting muffs. 8" downturned extensions made a world of difference.

2Cor5:17

Old 10-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #52
Gmovies
Registered Users

Liked 64 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis View Post
G. are you using the Zulu3 or the Sierra? Do you have a leather cover over the mic foam cover? I tried them in an open with out the cover and it did not work either. I did not try it with a cover. I think it would make a big difference.
I don't recall the specific model. It was the very latest offering from about a year and a half ago. A buddy of mine has them at the moment so I'll have to call him. I was curious about possible noise pickup from the mic. I tried different mic covers and even unplugged the mic in flight but it made no difference. I think I'm just not getting a good enough seal against my ears and the extra noise overwhelms the ANR capability. At this point I'm moving towards CEP installed on my old David Clark headset to see how that works. Numerous people report that a CEP under passive headset is just as good or better than ANR. I like the idea of not having to rely on batteries for hearing comfort.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 AM   #53
ioneater
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 68 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I 2nd the CEPs. Started using them in an open cockpit environment in the late 90's first with SPH-4 then HGU-56. Before CEP it was yellow foam earplugs and ICS + all 4 radios maxed to hear anything over the din of wind, machine and weapon noise. The proper tip size is crucial for them to work as designed. Foam mic muffs help cut wind noise through the mic, that's about it. Oregon Aero hush kits helped attenuate external noise as well. Earcup fitting is important. Sunglasses break the seal and will become part of your skull if a bird makes to through the windscreen and into the face. If PTT is an option for ICS, it really works better than VOX for keeping the mic from opening and channeling ambient noise back to the ears.

Model 12 in progress
N13BG
SN: 363

Old 10-20-2017, 04:53 AM   #54
Gmovies
Registered Users

I’m interested in trying CEP (in-ear speakers shown in the first picture below) with my old David Clark headset. Rather than the $148 CEP-USA here is my DIY setup for just over $30 using Radio Shack components. This setup is for mono headset you’ll have to figure out different wiring for a stereo headset. Note that I chose mic on the left side and the plug pointing aft on the right. Adjust accordingly per your own preference if you do this.

1) Purchase the 8-foot Shielded Headphone/Computer Speaker Extension Cable from Radio Shack. Part number 4202492. You’ll only need the female 1/8 speaker jack from this extension chord but this is the cheapest way to buy the jack plus wiring. Cut the cord near the female jack with about 10 inches of wiring remaining.

2) Remove the ear seal, insulation foam, and speaker from the ear cup that does not have the mic boom. The speaker is held in place with two small screws. Put a small piece of red tape on the back of the speaker to mark the location of the red wire where it attaches to the speaker. Use a small flat screwdriver to detach the red and green wires from the speaker.

3) Drill a 1/4 inch dia hole in the ear cup to receive the cord from the female jack. The location of the hole is not critical but I used a location opposite where the crossover cable goes into the ear cup. I found a rubber grommet from my RC model airplane parts that worked perfectly to protect the cable where it goes into the ear cup. Use a piece of heat shrink tubing to secure the free end of the wire plus female jack to the metal arm as shown. You'll have to remove the small e-clip and detach the metal arm to slip the heat shrink tubing into place and feed the free end of the wire through the heat shrink and then through the rubber grommet and into the ear cup.

4) Remove the outer insulation from the end of the extension wiring that protrudes through the opening of the ear cup. You’ll have a foil shield, bare silver wire, and insulated black and red wires. The bare silver wire is ground and the insulated black and red wires are signal to the L and R stereo.

5) Cut the insulation foil. Add a small length of heat shrink to protect the silver bare wire and then a larger piece of heat shrink to gather and support all three wires. Remove insulation from both the red and black wire.

6) Carefully solder the silver wire from the extension cord onto the green speaker wire of the the headset wiring. Twist the exposed copper wire ends of the black and red extension wires together and solder onto the red speaker wire of the headset wiring. Make sure you attach the extension wires so that you have enough length of the speaker wires to plug back into the speaker.

7) Attach the green and red wires back onto the speaker in correct location and secure with the two small flat screws.

8) Carefully tuck all wires back into the ear cup and mount the speaker back into the ear cup. Replace foam inserts and ear seal.

Any set of ear buds from Wallmart, Best Buy, Radio Shack, can plug into the female jack on the side of the headset. The first ones I’m going to try are Skullcandy JIB earbuds that I purchased for $10 at Best Buy. I’ll also be using some foam tips like Comply T-400 or Tx-400 to get more noise reduction or I might try to make my own foam tips out of some foam earplugs. Last photo below shows that the setup is compatible with a canvas acro helmet. I haven't flown with this yet I'll report back when I do.
CEP-USA.png   Radio Shack ext cord.png   1:8 stereo plug external view.png   remove insulation.png   three wires.png  

added heat shrink.png   solder into existing wires from speaker.png   attached back onto speaker.png   with canvas helmet.png  

Last edited by Gmovies; 10-20-2017 at 06:05 AM.
curtis Likes This 
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #55
Gmovies
Registered Users

I flew with my home brew CEP setup shown above. Not shown is the $10 SkullCandy earbuds that plug into the wire that I added to the headset. It is not really any quieter than any other setup I've used but the radio is MUCH easier to hear. I feel like with the improvement in hearing the radio I can experiment with different foam tips on the earbuds and hopefully get something that blocks out even more noise. I'll probably order some Comply foam tips and see how they work.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #56
funnybike
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

I went through the same problem with my S1C open cockpit 4 straight pipes. I tried a lot of different setups and here is what I found works best and is also the cheapest. I use clarity aloft headsets and then wear a pair of 3M hearing protection ear muffs over that and sometimes wear my leather helmet also,(but not necessary). Make sure to read the instructions for the claritys because if there not in your ears properly they wont work as well. Also get a GOOD pair of ear muffs with a high db rating. About $40 to 50 dollars. I've been very happy with this setup.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #57
cactusav8r
Cactusav8r
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 46

http://www.flighthelmet.com/

http://www.biplaneforum.com/showthread.php?t=12016

For my HGU-55 I bought a CEP kit from the guy in Enterprise Alabama and added it, for my DC Clones, I bought the "stuff" off Amazon and made a cheap CEP set up, for throw away in Ear Headsets, I usually give my Pax. There are a few Chinese Ebayers that make replacement parts for these old helmets, still a little pricey.