The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > Starduster landing gear attachment

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #26
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Send a message via MSN to Timbob
Default My Too too...

The Starduster I'm working on has a 24" engine mount and the wheel axel 4" behind firewall. IO-360A1C One abused Scott Tailwheel, bent up front gear attach mounts and tail weight is ~120 pounds.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #27
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

We should be able to delete our own posts.
The post below was posted twice and for some reason....brain fart but I don't remember, it was in edit mode so I didn't think I had posted it yet so two appeared. I then edited so this post now appears! It would be better if we could just delete.

Last edited by Timbob; 11-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #28
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 688 Times on 496 Posts

Thanks just curious. My Ranger powered Starduster Too has its main axles 5.5” aft of firewall (when measured when plane has been leveled at pilot seat upper longeron). I’m shooting for a 99lb or less tail when level. Ideal is about 60lbs I think I recall Mr. Baxter telling me. And that makes since. All the “easier” tailwheel planes have very light tails when level...or that’s what I’ve noticed.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #29
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Default Correction...

The SA300 I have has a 22" engine mount, Larry Rydberg appeared and measured a different way than I did. The pictures are of Larry and Rich who came down from ABQ to help me. Larry has thousands of hours on his SA300 and many adventures!
I had 8 degrees of difference between my front gear attachments, the plans say the fronts should be at 40 degrees to horizontal, I had the one with the compression on the rights front gear cluster 3 degrees up and the other side is 5 degrees down. The right gear swung down < 2" to the inside of the bottom sheet metal but never touched it because of the safety cable. Larry Rydberg came down with a tool to bend the front mount down on the right side, need to bend the other side up 5 degrees on the other side too. Before I do I will reattach the gear and do all the measuring Dave and Larry suggested and then figure out if I just repair the gear I took off or change it totally to the new 8" back of the firewall configuration. There was no holder for the rubber material used to pad the truss tube from the landing gear brace tube that the bungee pulls on either. The last photo is the bent brace tube, more than what is called for in the plans and damaged from being driven up into the truss. The truss looks fine.
Seems like there is lots of trouble with this gear design or getting them built well enough so they are not a handful.
Duster - 4.jpg   Duster - 5.jpg   Duster - 1 (1).jpg   Duster - 7.jpg   Duster - 2.jpg  

Old 11-14-2017, 11:20 PM   #30
Morphewb
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 480 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbob View Post
We should be able to delete our own posts.
The post below was posted twice and for some reason....brain fart but I don't remember, it was in edit mode so I didn't think I had posted it yet so two appeared. I then edited so this post now appears! It would be better if we could just delete.
What happened to the self delete feature we used to have?

P.S. I tried to delete this post but couldn't.

Last edited by Morphewb; 11-14-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:30 AM   #31
Rick-CAS
Registered Users

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Larry the cable guy!!! and you have incriminating photo evidence that he can work on an airplane. I've known Larry for several years. He's an interesting guy and true artist. He invited a few of us to a graphic art convention here in Kansas City a few years ago. Got to see some of his and his friends art work. The man has many skills welder, artist, guitar/banjo player, song writer and pilot. His Starduster was known around here as the Exxon Valdez since it left more oil on the ramp than any of the round engine planes here. I've been told he got that fixed finally. You are in good hands with Larry.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #32
Dave Baxter
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 490 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Larry also runs a custom Harley shop in Albuquerque NM

https://www.larryscustomcycle.com/

I have attended numerous Starduster Fly-ins over the yrs with Larry, and is one of my son Dan's favorite guys to hang out with, and he has lots of oil.. Dave