The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > Rebuild N85CH Acroduster

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #226
airplanegeek
Registered Users

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It's going to need eagle style fuselage formers but it should give the bird a good lookin front end.

keeping the dream alive - www.lancasteraero.com
https://www.facebook.com/LancasterAeroLLc

Old 09-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #227
airplanegeek
Registered Users

Profile view of mine with the mock up canopy. The final canopy will extend two inches lower to the longerons. Will work similar to a model 12 system. Will require around 8 inches of forward/aft movement to swing open. And will cover a 6'1" pilot and copilot.

The finished product will be at least the size and allow the visibility of an eagle setup.

IMG_0141.jpg  

Last edited by airplanegeek; 09-15-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Dennis Flamini Likes This 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #228
airplanegeek
Registered Users

Would appreciate thoughts on the subject:

Would it be better to raise the turtle deck to keep the back transition smoother?

this would allow for a flatter canopy.

Lets hear some ideas.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #229
airplanegeek
Registered Users

Drawing of what I have in mind
IMG_0140.jpg  

Old 09-16-2017, 04:38 AM   #230
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 752 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 498

I don't know? I've seen several Dusters with that ugly transition from canopy to TD. Factory TD of a certain shape coupled with canopy from a different maker. I think builders get trapped depending on when they tackle an item in the whole process. As least you have noticed it before being trapped.......
2Cor5:17

Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #231
smizo
ASIIS
BiP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2409 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 3521

When I built mine, I built the whole canopy system up first. Attached it to the fuselage, then moved aft and designed the TD to fair to the canopy and moved fwd and designed the top skin and cowl to fair to the canopy. Different airplane and single place canopy but the idea is the same. I'd make the canopy how you want and then make the airplane "fit" it. Yes it's a lot of work! Looks like you're close though....
Tunkhannock, PA
airplanegeek Likes This 
Old 09-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #232
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 752 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 498

The problem is the shape of the factory TD which is fixed, you may not be able to adapt it exactly to the contour of the canopy depending on where the canopy ends-up.

We often see similar errors with the cowling. You want a straight line from the glare shield to nose bowl. You have to integrate instrument panel height, firewall height and engine mount design which determines the location of the nose bowl. those factors then effect seat height and whether you have room for a chute under the canopy etc. etc. etc......

The initial builder of my airplane not only chose to make the TD too low but the instrument panel is also too low. When I built my engine mount I copied the engine height I wanted from a factory conical mount. The FW was also made. This made for much head scratching and doing stuff over.

This is why new builders(like me) find that if they want to build the perfect airplane, they may need to build one or two first for practice

Good established designs have these things worked out but when/if a builder makes a change in one area it may have a snow ball effect and the airplane looks terrible.

That's why I have so much respect for Chris and others here who have built such great examples. Only another builder can really appreciate their accomplishment.

I'd have to build 3 or 4 before I could get it so "right".

Hang in there Kendall. I expect you to build the definitive Acroduster Too.

Jack
2Cor5:17

Old 09-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #233
airplanegeek
Registered Users

I am just fixing one problem at a time. The part that gets confusing is when I have to deal with three or four at once.

People Like This 
Old 09-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #234
smizo
ASIIS
BiP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2409 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 3521

Well Kendall you build that canopy exactly how you want it. Don't worry about the rest of the stuff. That's your first project. Looks like it already fits the front skin pretty good from the pics. So get that canopy as perfect as you can and project number 1 will be a win. The worry about the TD. If you try to do it all at once it will be a cluster F....... and you will get discouraged. However if you make the canopy first and it comes out great (no doubt it will) then you have good motivation to work with the TD. Even if it means throwing that one away and making a new one. In the grand scheme of things it's not that much work....
Tunkhannock, PA
People Like This 
Old 09-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #235
airplanegeek
Registered Users

Well. I built two mock up 99 percenters and stuffed them inside then plopped the mock up canopy on there. Turn out it will be workable. Mind you I am a whopping 5'3" and I am actually concerned about stuffing tall giants nto my little airplane. Lol. I think I am ready to start welding.
IMG_3840.jpg   IMG_3842.jpg   99-percentile-man-1-percentile-woman.jpg  

Dennis5678 Likes This 
Old 09-24-2017, 02:48 AM   #236
airplanegeek
Registered Users

feeling good - just put the last rib stitch in the wings.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:27 AM   #237
biplanebob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 282 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1542

That is a great milestone,.... the same as building and welding a fuselage and putting it on the gear !

Bob

Built and flying a Willie II Biplane
airplanegeek Likes This 
Old 09-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #238
Dave Baxter
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 425 Times on 252 Posts

Default N85ch

Kendall Nice work my friend, and how are your fingers doing after all of that rib stitching? Also nice work on the cabane mod, a good change. As for the special "I" bolts used on many Acrodusters, and I may have commented on this before, back when I went to work for Stolp Aircraft as an Acetylene welder circa 1966 many of the parts and hardware used on the Starduster Too and later the Acroduster Too were surplus military stock, most commonly rod ends, could be purchased for less that $ 5.00 apiece, that are now over $ 50.00 ea! Along with this were several 5 gal bucket fulls of these special eye bolts, but all at the time were mil spec and plated with silver cad plating, a much better process. Skip forward to the mid to late 70s, and on into the 80s I believe Jim Osborne and later Bill Clouse after exhausting that supply had them made from 4140 bar stock, at a small local machine shop, after which many as KT commented were of poor quality machine work and plating. They were made in small batches of a dozen or so. Most were poorly plated with the yellow gold cad plating and as Kendall has commented his were rusted and corroded.

Kendall I do not have much information regarding N85CH, nor did I have any correspondence or conversation with the builder. Only that it was built by Charles E Hamby Jr, and his address at the time was 345 Willow Bough Ln Old Hickory TN 37138.

It was also owned at one time by Bill Gallagher Ormond Beach FL

Perhaps someone from that area might know more about him and the airplane build, as well as its history?
Most Acrodusters were a bit more demanding and less forgiving that the Starduster Too, Those that powered them with 540s made the pilot skill a bit more demanding, couple that with low time pilots and add self taught low altitude acro the demise of these airplanes and pilots was predictable.

But with a competent pilot, and one that is current the airplane is no more or less difficult to fly that any other tail wheel biplane, with a big engine.

Just my take and is as usual only my opinion and worth only that. Dave

Last edited by Dave Baxter; Yesterday at 02:40 AM.
Dennis5678 Likes This 
Old Today, 02:04 AM   #239
airplanegeek
Registered Users

no problem on not knowing the history Dave. It would be more for fun anyhow. I know a good bit - enough i should say about the past. Everything i know about it was evident along the way with the rebuild.

The only thing i do not have is the ops specs/weight and balance. somehow the weight and balance is nowhere to be found.

Old Today, 02:24 AM   #240
airplanegeek
Registered Users

By the way - this not having the old weight and balance data is a pain, because it would be nice to know if its going to fall into cg with the inteneded configuration of a light weight fixed pitch, or do i bite the bullet and put the constant speed on it.

The sooner i know the better, since i need to build the cowling. The plan now is to pop it all together as soon as my bottom wings are painted and get a base line before working on instrument panels/electrical/cowl.

Old Today, 02:48 AM   #241
Dennis5678
Registered Users

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 592

For what it is worth I have rib stitched a many Aeroplanes. I always tape my pinky finger with a bandaid before and during rib stiching.