The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > SA-100 Progress

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #201
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 656 Times on 473 Posts

Dave where did you get those rubber door stops? I saw this and realized my stops are just bolts and I've been using tape to keep from marring the Tq tube. I was thinking of just coating the bolt head with a thin coat of 890b2 sealant to help but I like the idea of a actual rubber piece. I stopped at Ace Hardware today and they didn't have them. Only actual door stops. Did you happen to get yours at Home Depot or Lowes or???

Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #202
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Send a message via MSN to Timbob
Default No closeups.

Dave, I don't want you showing any closeups of my covering expertise to these critics!

Old 10-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #203
Dennis5678
Registered Users

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Remember us arm chair quarterbacks (critics) are not doers and you guys are.
Now I built a homebuilt and restored two classics and worked on several airplanes of friends so I am not a novice.

Last edited by Dennis5678; 10-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:46 AM   #204
Dave Baxter
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 434 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotahp1 View Post
Dave where did you get those rubber door stops? I saw this and realized my stops are just bolts and I've been using tape to keep from marring the Tq tube. I was thinking of just coating the bolt head with a thin coat of 890b2 sealant to help but I like the idea of a actual rubber piece. I stopped at Ace Hardware today and they didn't have them. Only actual door stops. Did you happen to get yours at Home Depot or Lowes or???

Kris I got mine at Ace here locally, and have two left I can send you? Dave

Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 AM   #205
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

If you aren't going to use them I'd be happy to send you something for them. My plane never had aileron stops in the wings at the bell cranks I'm finding out. I like how you were able to use a longer bolt and a bushing for the bellcrank stop on your Sa100. Im not sure if that's doable on a SA300. I'll have to look. Did you/ do you rig the ailerons so the contact the bellcrank stops a tiny bit before the Tq tube stops? What did you use on those bolt heads (the ones on the bellcrank stop)

Old 10-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #206
Dave Baxter

Kris, I will send the two door stops I have to you . The stops with the rubber are on the torq tube only, and the one at the bell crank in the wing is metal to metal, as it hits about the same time as the bell crank stop. The adjustment is close, and will be adjusted closer after cover and paint. I like the feel when going stop to stop, just a little resistance at the torq tube with the rubber bumper, and a solid feel out at the wing bell crank. Dave

Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #207
IanJ

Liked 206 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

For anyone else who's looking, you can also get stops like those online quite easily:

https://smile.amazon.com/Premium-Sil.../dp/B00UPSRMYO

Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #208
Dave Baxter

Quote:
If you aren't going to use them I'd be happy to send you something for them. My plane never had aileron stops in the wings at the bell cranks I'm finding out. I like how you were able to use a longer bolt and a bushing for the bellcrank stop on your Sa100. Im not sure if that's doable on a SA300. I'll have to look. Did you/ do you rig the ailerons so the contact the bellcrank stops a tiny bit before the Tq tube stops? What did you use on those bolt heads (the ones on the bellcrank stop)
Kris they are in the mail, and you do not owe me anything, if you remember you sent me some surplus rod ends some time ago, so I still owe you something? Dave

Old 10-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #209
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Oh no Dave. I was just hoping you could use them on your SA100. You did me a heck of a favor on gear and I really appreciate it. Couldn't have done it without you.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #210
Dave Baxter

Default SA-100 Progress October 2017

I often wondered why builders after working on their airplanes for yrs just kind of slow down and quit even when close? I have seen several projects right up through silver with wings hung and plumbing finished just seem to give up, when all it would take was a slick paint job and fly the time off and the airplane would be worth three times the selling price of an unfinished unflown project.

But now as an old guy I can understand better why this happens, people just run out of gas. Motivation is a big part, as well as being in good health is another. The other challenge is having to make many parts with no drawings along with the design thinking that goes into it is also part. Just moving the airplane around by yourself, can be difficult and of course painting outside in the dark even with a fresh air system is still demanding,.

I keep pecking away at it, and then one day there are no more things left to do on this once gigantic list that at one time seemed so insurmountable.

Install rear bottom stringers and standoffs

Make tube and metal strip formers for bottom alum sheet metal

Make rough out bottom sheet metal, gear doors

Finish welding fuselage attachments.

Disassemble all components down to bare fuselage

Sand prime and paint fuselage light blue polyurethane

Also do same to landing gear engine mount and Instrument panel.

This weekend was probably our last warm weather for while, but at least when it goes together now it will be for the final time, and it will be the fun part, I think?

Tim just waiting for you my friend as I have all the tail surfaces "I" struts and fuselage pretty much ready to cover! Dave
SAM_2432 small.jpg   SAM_2450 small.jpg   SAM_2557 small.jpg   SAM_2560 small.jpg   SAM_2566 small.jpg  

SAM_2568 small.jpg   SAM_2572 small.jpg   SAM_2575 small.jpg   SAM_2579 small.jpg   SAM_2589 small.jpg  

SAM_2597 small.jpg   SAM_2611 small.jpg   SAM_2614 small.jpg   SAM_2615 small.jpg   SAM_2593 small.jpg  

Last edited by Dave Baxter; 10-17-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Kiwi Likes This 
Old 10-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #211
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Dave, I got the bump stops! Thanks again! You don't happen to have a pic or can tell me the best shape to make these fit on a bolt head? I know I could just grind head down till it fits but figure you've done it before so thought I'd ask before I mess up my stop bolts. did you glue them on with anything or just grind the head down where they fit good enough they don't need any glue etc? Sorry for all the questions on such a dumb thing.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:46 PM   #212
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 790 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Dave,

Put some gas in your tank! Consider you do more work in a year than most do in 5-10.

Looking great!

Jack
2Cor5:17

Old 10-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #213
Dave Baxter

Kris Just measure the ID of the rubber bumper, you can get a dial caliper in and spread them enough, or just grind the corners off of the 1/4" bolt chuck it up in a lathe and turn the head down to 7 1/6, dia and the head thickness to approximately .160, and they just pop right in there! Honest... and no I did not use any glue or contact cement, mine have been on my airplane for 28 yrs. Dave

Last edited by Dave Baxter; 10-18-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:23 AM   #214
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Dave, I'll give it a go Thursday night. Just wanted to check as I was sure you'd know. Thanks Again! Great to have friends, just wish you were closer and I bet both our projects would be done faster. I'd love to try a SA-100 on for size. Yours has "the look" a lot seem to be missing. I think it's the longer gear than a lot of them. Short gear just ruins the look to me.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:27 AM   #215
Timbob
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Send a message via MSN to Timbob
Default Alrighty...

I'll be there Dave, probably Friday morning, I'll drive down Thursday for meeting in Vancouver so I'll give you a call to confirm then.
Looking really good!
Over...

Old 10-18-2017, 03:43 AM   #216
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 790 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Quote:
Dave, I'll give it a go Thursday night. Just wanted to check as I was sure you'd know. Thanks Again! Great to have friends, just wish you were closer and I bet both our projects would be done faster. I'd love to try a SA-100 on for size. Yours has "the look" a lot seem to be missing. I think it's the longer gear than a lot of them. Short gear just ruins the look to me.
I love this post,

Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto, and not all the too short ruins!

Jack
2Cor5:17

Old 10-18-2017, 05:05 AM   #217
Dave Baxter

Quote:

Kris you are most welcome, I wish we were closer also. Having my friend Mike help once in a while and Tim come by from NM every three or four months or so, and my pickle salesmen buddy Steve who moonlights as regional airline first officer, and Starduster Too owner also help, but none on a regular basis, at least he has the FAA convinced he is pickle salesmen!

Kris you need to come out here and fly with me, besides you need some Starduster time for incentive and before you fly the Range Duster , and you can try them all on for size?

And yes I try to make these airplanes look the way Lou Stolp intended them to be, with airplane sex appeal all of the curves in the right places, and the Starduster has all of the curves in the right places. Dave

Last edited by Dave Baxter; 10-18-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:32 AM   #218
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Dave, I really appreciate the offer to fly with you and want to make that happen. Sooner rather than later. I'll be in touch and we can talk about when. I know this flying season is about over but spring will be here before we know it. Looking forward to it! and your right...I'd love some Starduster time! I'm itching to get the Range Duster done! I picked up 6 of my Cylinders from Brown Aviation up in Tulsa. (He still has 6 more of mine he had taken to someone to have the valve seats removed, so I have to make a second trip to get them after he gets them back from whoever he has them with) I've got to talk to Caleb Curry of Radial Engines LTD but he told me he could finish them for me considering all time I've waited etc. those things were at browns for almost 2years! And all it was suppose to be was clean up and repaint, and install some hardened seats I supplied. They are 1944 military overhauled Cylinders. Anyway, huge pain but hope i can get them done now that I have at least 6 back (the six I have back have the new hardened seats installed but he didn't cut the Angles for the valves deep enough etc. so now the seats need cut while in the cylinder or these seats need removed and new ones installed that are ready.