The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Acrosport > Acrosport Wings > Rigging wings on AS1

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
gha111
Registered Users

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Send a message via MSN to gha111
Default Rigging wings on AS1

Putting this thing back together is getting to be a challenge. I rigged the wings and installed the wires and snugged up the wires to just taunt. The upper wing was string straight on both top and leading edge. Then we started tightening, alternating one side to the other at around 10 lbs. each with a digital scale until we got the required deflection for 50 lbs. The upper wing tips pulled forward and down, maybe an inch. Didn't measure how much because it was unacceptable at best. I checked the digital scale against an old 50lb spring scale and they both read the same so it's not the scale that's off. Any ideas?

Garry

Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
navybipe
Registered Users

Liked 159 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 109

those are your flying wires. I am not that familiar with AS1, but do you not have landing wires also? if you do, you have to include those in the tightening sequence. done properly and in small increments, the wings will move up/down slightly but end result they will be as desired.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
TFF1
Registered Users

Liked 479 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are many ways to do it but setting the flying wires to length and tightening the landing wires pulls up the wings.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
smizo
BiP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 3756

On the AS aircraft the front wires can not be tightened as much as the rear flying / landing wire pair. There is no landing wire in the front to pull against so it will bow down the L.E. tips of the top wing if tightened too much.
Tunkhannock, PA

Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
gha111
Registered Users

Sizmo, One of the old newsletters for the AS1 had an article on doing this, so that's what I was following. The article calls for a 50 lb. pull from the center of the wire on all wires to tighten them correctly. 1 1/4 in. for landing wires, 1 3/8 in. for aft flying, and 1 3/4 in. for fwd. flying. Of course the landing and aft flying are in column with the 'I' strut, so no problem there. But the fwd. flying wires are hanging out over nothing as you say, so the article must be wrong, but how wrong? What should the numbers be for them? Garry
Rick-CAS Likes This 
Old 08-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Neil
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 781 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Generally the front flying wires are between 60 and 80% of the rear wires. The simplest thing is to set the landing wires to hold the top wing level and then tighten the rear flying wires to the desired tension while checking to be sure the top wing remains straight. Adjust the landing wires as needed to maintain the top wing straight. Then tighten the front flying wires up to the point where they begin to pull the leading edge from alignment. Over tightening the front flying wires puts additional strain on the anti drag wires in the top wing.

If the top wing moves forward without much effort, then the drag/anti drag wires may not be properly tensioned.

In many biplane designs the inboard anti drag wire is heavier than the rest because of this loading.
Plans #425

Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
smizo
BiP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 3756

there ya go, neil beat me to it. i havent brought mine up to final tension yet. just an initial snug to fit the wings. however the other acro 2 that was on the field for a bit had the front wires noticeably looser than the rear. one reason if you look at some youtube acro 2 videos you see the front ones flap when pushing. (read the newsletter on outside loops) that is one of the reasons i boxed in the I strut bays as well as the ply leading edge, to increase the torsional rigidity of the wing so the front wires can be tightened a bit more before deforming the top wing.
Tunkhannock, PA

Old 08-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
gha111
Registered Users

Redid the wires and had to stop at 30 lbs. on the front landing wires so the upper wing wouldn't distort. They still feel pretty taunt though, so I think they will be OK. Thanks for the help. Garry

Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 AM   #9
Pittspowers
Registered Users

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a super acro 1,that I'm putting back together. I'm not exactly sure on the dihedral. Looks like 2°on the flat bottom wings but not sure on the symmetrical. Any info?

Old 10-27-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
Neil
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 781 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittspowers View Post
I have a super acro 1,that I'm putting back together. I'm not exactly sure on the dihedral. Looks like 2°on the flat bottom wings but not sure on the symmetrical. Any info?
Rigging is the same.

Plans #425