The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Acrosport > Acrosport Wings > Center section mismatch

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
Randy
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 59 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Center section mismatch

I have finished writing on the chalkboard 100 times, "I will never purchase a partially completed project again" I have reached the point of not bothering to cuss at every step I have to repair/replace. Hopefully, I have about covered all the problems. My current one is the mismatch between the wing and center section. Either one or the other has misplaced attach straps. The gap is a little less than 1/4". I have a list of 3 possible fixes from minor to major work/$$$ but, just so I don't pollute your thought process, I will hold my thoughts until I hear your suggestions. This is a Super AcroSport 1.
Thank you

DSC00518.jpg  

Randy

Old 02-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
smizo
BiP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2642 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 3746

remake the front wing fittings on the outboard panels with the mounting hole offset......

Tunkhannock, PA

Old 02-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Randy
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Default Center section mismatch

Smizo, not sure I am understanding your suggestion. My first thought is with the hole offset I can use the same spar mounting bolt holes which means I will have to cut away some leading edge ply to access the bolts. If this is your suggestion then is gluing in a ply doubler and reattaching the removed ply acceptable ?

Randy

Old 02-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
cwspilot

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 271

I know your pain Randy. Same thing happened to me on a Sonerai IIL project I bought. By the way I'm just Southeast of you based at KJXN

Craig

Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
TFF1
Registered Users

Liked 476 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Both sides the same? Are the airfoil shapes really the same? Cut it open and custom strap or roll with it as is. If both sides were the same, I would roll with it. If they are not the same, it will roll you with it.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
Knight Twister

Liked 952 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Is the mis match symmetrical across the c section ? If so you might consider laminating a few sections of 1/16 ply into an airfoil section, glue it on to make it flush with the outer panels. Feather it in where it starts to match.
Larry Lyons Likes This 
Old 02-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
Randy
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Default center section mismatch

Craig, never heard of Horton, I will have to look it up. Of course I am sure you are familiar with Nashville

TFFI, airfoil shapes are the same and it is the same on both sides. My first thought options were to A) rebuild the center section B) Remove the ply leading edge and move the attach straps in the center section or C) make some unknown adjustment in the fairing that encloses this area between the wings.

Knight Twister, I am liking your idea the best so far. It would require laminating strips to the tops of the center section and bottoms of the outer panels. I am going to have to visualize just how the finished product is going to look if I do it this way.

So far good ideas, thanks you

Randy

Old 02-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
Knight Twister

Liked 952 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Another thought. Have you determined your incidence is where you want it ? That's why the glue on leading edge seems like the easiest and least invasive if it can work.