The Biplane Forum > General Discussion > Hangar Talk > Pitts vs RV dogfight

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #51
EAABipe40FF
Registered Users
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 830 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
This is why we need multiple airplanes...except that darn money thing (at least for me).

Amen! $ thing? Yea.

2Cor5:17

Old 10-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #52
Larry Lyons
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 788 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

Gmovies hit the nail on the head here! I'm lucky to be partners in a Cherokee that provides my need for travel. However it would be awesome to have that Cherokee be, instead, an RV-almost anything.

Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

In dog beers I've only had one!

Old 10-25-2017, 11:12 PM   #53
VF84Sluggo
Non-Communist

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzm View Post
If you spoke with Van before 1996...
It was in 1998. And we discussed the spar issue.

My -3A had wing tanks, which are beneficial. According to Van, at half-fuel in each tank, the weight of the fuel can be disregarded when calculating the aerobatic weight. The weight of the fuel in the wings at half-gas, Van said, is beneficial in that it reduces the bending load at the wing root.

I'd avoid a -3, regardless of whether a -3, A, or B, if it has a fuselage fuel tank. Just my $.02/worth.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #54
VF84Sluggo
Non-Communist

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreinh3233 View Post
If biplanes were still the best at dog fighting the Air Force would still be flying them.
I can't vouch for biplanes here, but it SURE looks like a triplane can hold its own!

https://www.duffelblog.com/2015/08/f...-to-red-baron/
airplanegeek Likes This 
Old 10-26-2017, 12:23 AM   #55
death trap
Registered Users

Liked 78 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Send a message via MSN to death trap
Default Dog fight

Eagle 1
RV 0
Marquartflyer Redeemed Himself 😩
plschulten Likes This 
Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #56
cwilliamrose

Liked 1387 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Story please.

Project:Stretched Pitts S-1SS

Old 10-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #57
Dennis5678
Registered Users

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 924

It is the pilot not the airplane/biplane.
When I had my Volksplane (don't laugh) I would dogfight against two different Pitts S-1-C. Not at the same time. Both were short fuselage Pitts. One had a Lyc O-320 and the other had a Lyc O-290 D2
Well I always got the best of the 150hp one because the pilot was not willing to push her to the limits. The Volksplane could turn on a dime.
The other was an all out balls to the wall pilot. Things he would do with his 135hp Pitts was wild. He always got me dead. The best memory was when he did a half loop and coming at me inverted and coming up at a very fast rate. I was an easy target since I was at about 45 degree angle to his incoming fast closing on me. Nothing I could do but get shot down because I could not turn my nose around fast enough the get my sights on him. Flying an non-aerobatic Volksplane I could not snap roll into him or barrel roll out of the situation, there was no time.

Last edited by Dennis5678; 10-26-2017 at 01:08 AM.
mreinh3233 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #58
mreinh3233
Registered Users

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis5678 View Post
When I had my Volksplane (don't laugh) I would dogfight against two different Pitts S-1-C. Not at the same time. Both were short fuselage Pitts. One had a Lyc O-320 and the other had a Lyc O-290 D2
Well I always got the best of the 150hp one because the pilot was not willing to push her to the limits. The Volksplane could turn on a dime.
The other was an all out balls to the wall pilot. Things he would do with his 135hp Pitts was wild. He always got me dead. The best memory was when he did a half loop and coming at me inverted and coming up at a very fast rate. I was an easy target since I was at about 45 degree angle to his incoming fast closing on me. Nothing I could do but get shot down because I could not turn my nose around fast enough the get my sights on him. Flying an non-aerobatic Volksplane I could not snap roll into him or barrel roll out of the situation, there was no time.
Not always the best pilot my friend. Read about the death of Werner Voss. The only pilot VonRicktofin (SP?) thought his equal. Long story short the visibility issues of the Tri Plane did him in, he was certainly one of the bravest pilots I have ever read about.
Eric_Anderson Likes This 
Old 10-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #59
grassroots
Premium Member

Liked 870 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis5678 View Post
Well I always got the best of the 150hp one because the pilot was not willing to push her to the limits.
Like doing a simple Immelman?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #60
marquartflyer
Registered Users

Liked 99 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 68

The big help this time was having a previous encounter. I changed my tactics quite a bit.
If deathtrap dove away outpacing the draggy Eagle & then came back for brief re-engagements (strafing run) it would be a different story but I think I could hold him off to a draw.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #61
Lotahp1
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 669 Times on 482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreinh3233 View Post
Not always the best pilot my friend. Read about the death of Werner Voss. The only pilot VonRicktofin (SP?) thought his equal. Long story short the visibility issues of the Tri Plane did him in, he was certainly one of the bravest pilots I have ever read about.

Richthofen was a hunter. He stalked his prey and made them make a mistake almost always. While they were ziging and zaging he was slowing gaining on them. He was one heck of a marksman. The books say he was only a pilot because that was the way for him to hunt. They say he did not believe in ďtricksĒ or aerobatics and he did not do them like itís widely known Voss and Udet did. (Iím curious as how he escaped when he had to if he didnít?, but most books say he was a average pilot and did not believe in acro)

From what Iíve read of Voss...he was a guy Iíd very much like to know. He was a hunter, a pilots pilot, and a mechanic always working on his own plane. In fact his Triplane had a French LaRohne on it he helped install. (Or thatís what Iíve read) but what killed him was not his lack of skill vs Richthofen...but his Ego. Where the Red Baron would leave a kill if it left his advantage to a point he couldnít regain advantage, Voss kept fighting. It is written that Voss had Several chances to leave the fight the day he died but instead turned back into the fight. Heroic or stupid? I think a little of both. They say that all the planes (I canít recall but I think they said he was battling like 4-6 planes vs him only) had bullet holes from his guns in them. I believe even one or two were scrapped because they were so shot up.

From my readings...Voss was the better pilot by far. But Richthofen didnít let his ego get the better of him (well not till April 21 1918 anyway).

This is a subject I very much enjoy and read about often. A full scale Sands Triplane is my slow back burner project I hope to have complete one day but am focusing on the Ranger Starduster Too and probably a second AcroDuster Too or Starduster Too restore after mines done. (Not wanting to have to do as much as I did on mine, more of maybe a recover or engine install only deal). My son wants to learn to fly so heís doing the Champ route and then will progress into whatever we end up with as a second plane. BUT in the meantime I slowly buy parts and pieces and learn about the great men of the first war and the most iconic plane of all time, the Fokker DR1!