The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Starduster > My Starduster Forced Landing

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #76
IanJ
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Send a message via MSN to IanJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by planebuilder View Post
Ian, if you want to start having real fun with the Champ, hinge the door on the top and fly with it open!
I know there's an STC to just take the door off, which would work. That plane, although it's in great shape, is still over 60 years old, and not certified for acrobatics -- I'll find something better suited to the task if it becomes time to get into aggressive flying.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #77
macro
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Just bad luck that grass was too long. Possible fire in flight! that's scary stuff. Sounds like your really did well, and like "planebuilder" said you didn't get tempted to land on the road and run the risk of involving others, total respect for you actions sir!
I hope I can do as well if I find myself in such a situation.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:43 AM   #78
Dana
Registered Users

Liked 99 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Yesterday I loaded the plane onto a trailer for the trip back to Connecticut. Having a dry place (the stone garage in the background) near my cabin to temporarily store it sure made things a lot easier, but I didn't want to overstay my welcome.

Today I towed it home and moved it into the soft garage my daughter and I put up last week for it. Strung some lights and I have a place to work when it's not too cold. I've about 70% decided to rebuild it, I'm going to evaluate it slowly while working on the the long delayed honey-do list.
IMG_20171022_174544542.jpg   IMG_20171023_183516337.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 10-24-2017, 03:57 AM   #79
Larry Lyons
Registered Users

Liked 788 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

Dana all I can offer is; if it looks right go for it, I don't think you will be disappointed. I can say there will be points when you will wonder if you made the right decision, but that's all they are, points on a time line. As you move forward and need help/motivation just reach out to one of us here on the forum. We will come back with encouragement or an alternative offer for the short term to get you through to the final point of seeing you, again flying in your aircraft. PM is a great way to meet and make friends here with little or no baggage.
Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

In dog beers I've only had one!

Last edited by Larry Lyons; 10-24-2017 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Changes

Old 10-24-2017, 04:42 AM   #80
Dennis5678
Registered Users

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 924

On the money side you will have more $$$ in the rebuild than it is worth. If you can live with that then go for it ! Isn't that what flying your creation all about.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #81
Saber
BiP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 74 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Hi Dana, I've worked in those shelters a lot over the years. I've found that a plastic tarp on the floor helps keep the moisture down and make sure that it's staked to the ground double what they say in the instructions. Also I lost one when a big snow/ ice storm blew in and I was out of town. Also when the cover wears out shrink wrap it, my friend in our village has had one for near 20 years now. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #82
Dana
Registered Users

I'm going to do the same as I've done before, plastic on the ground, cover that with wood pallets, and screw chipboard breathing over that for a dry raised floor.
Larry Lyons Likes This 
Old 11-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #83
Dana
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver68 View Post
That indeed looks like a straight thread fitting into a pipe thread port in the accessory case. Does not work. Requires an AN823 fitting. The fitting shown is for mechanical fuel pumps that have straight thread ports. Will always fail when installed in that location.
Guess I have to get the right fitting. I hoped I could get it tight enough to run the engine today, drain the oil, and put in preservative oil and desiccant plugs to pickle the engine until the plane is flyable again, but now it won't stay in the hole at all. I don't know how it held for all these years. That mangled o-ring with the washer was all that was sealing it.

A fuel pump fitting, you say? Or perhaps somebody cut the end off an AN837 bulkhead fitting, the thread pitch is the same.

Looks like 1/2NPT fits properly in the hole, so AN823-10. Is an aluminum fitting OK there, or does it need to be steel?

The issue may be tightening it so it points in the correct direction for the hose.

The good news is that the prop flange runout is .005" max, which is within limits.
IMG_20171119_140944004.jpg  

Last edited by Dana; 11-19-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #84
Neil

Liked 775 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Get a straight fitting to screw into the case and put an angle fitting on the hose if it needs the angle.
Plans #425

Old 11-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #85
Dana
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Get a straight fitting to screw into the case and put an angle fitting on the hose if it needs the angle.
Right, that's the long term plan (or I may redo all the plumbing) but for now I'll just get an AN823 fitting, even if it's not as tight as it should be, so I can run the engine long enough to preserve it.