The Biplane Forum > General Discussion > Aerobatics Talk > Highlights from Formation Aerobatic Clinic

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:19 AM   #1
AcroGimp
EAA 14, IAC 36

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Highlights from Formation Aerobatic Clinic

Two of my Yak buddies and I have been working with a mentor/coach from the UK who has 20 years of display flying experience. He is also a pilot for BA and is able to jump over to San Diego frequently as part of his normal schedule bids.

I typically fly lead since I have a more aerobatic focus then the rest of the guys but recently worked on transitioning to flying loops on the wing. We have been taking a very methodical building block approach, clearing each figure with our mentor flying safety pilot - this has been an amazing experience.

This video captures the highlights from our clinic last weekend, which is also the last bit of flying I get to do for a while, I had ACL reconstruction surgery today and will be out of the cockpit for a bit.

The first two segments are me flying wing, I am now cleared to practice these without a safety pilot. Third segment is flying line abreast, the red plane in the center is lead - this is really difficult since we lose the triangulation visual references we normally use, and is tough on the neck, but cool when it works out.

The last segment is 2 minutes of sublime where everything just jelled and we completed a 4 figure sequence where the guys were in show-quality position through the entire sequence - literally a fantastic way to cap off the weekend.

Tip in is to give view of airspace and build some smash, looking for 310 kph minimum, figure 1 is a quarter-clover up, second figure is quarter-clover down, 3rd figure is high-energy wingover, and fourth figure is a vanilla loop. I made a roll/rudder error in the loop entry but the guys hung in there.

Hope you enjoy.

'Gimp

Last edited by AcroGimp; 10-11-2017 at 03:29 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
StinsonPilot
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 613 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Cool video. I like the reflection showing your throttle arm.
I don't think anyone that's never flown wing realize how much work goes on to stay there.

Thanks for sharing...

Flying is the answer...What was the question?

Steen Skybolt
Stinson 108-2
People Like This 
Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Larry Lyons
Registered Users
BiP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 775 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

The Beethnutz have a saying, "if your not sweating your out of position"!
Taylorcraft, almost flying
and on going Taylorcraft project

Always carry a knife with you. Just in case there's cheesecake or you need to put someone down!
People Like This 
Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 AM   #4
AcroGimp
EAA 14, IAC 36

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Here is quick edit of the practice sortie - I know the acro guys know how much practice goes into this, it is amazing how missing the removal or application of power by even a fraction of a second makes the difference between near perfection and a totally blown figure - but this is some serious fun.

'Gimp
StinsonPilot Likes This