In Memorium - Jim Doyle - Chopmo
The Biplane Forum > Biplane Builder's Forums > Pitts > Pitts Wings > Aileron Bay Cove

Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Redtail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Send a message via MSN to Redtail

Gentlemen:
Does anyone know how Curtis covered the cove area in the Aileron bay of his wings? I do not like what I see on the Steen Aero Lab Plans with the cove strips. The old Curtis plans do not show a cove strip. Just wondering how he did it. Pictures as always are a big help.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Marksair
Registered Users

Send a message via MSN to Marksair

Matt, I too had difficulty understanding the cove strips on Steen (revised Pitts plans) The old wings had cove strips installed as shown and covered with aluiminum. I cut 5 or 6 'spreaders', glued them to the back of the spar with the rear facing edge cut concave to match the shape of plywood cove material supplied by steen for ss wings. Build ailerons first, clamp to wings with hinges. Now you have a dimensional guide. I took some pictures i'll try to figure out how to post them here. Send me a PM in the meantime and i can email them. Mark

Old 03-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
jrs14855
Premium Member

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts

The S1D drawings showed the cove strips in detail. All numbers are approximate from long ago memory. The bottom surface of the aileron bay has a 1 x 1 x approx 70 degree aluminimum angle, .020 or .025 thick. The top surface has a standard V trailing edge strip, 2" wide bent into a symmetrical V. The cove strip is wood and is screwed and glued to the ribs as well as some cove blocks where the cove strip is not supported by a rib. The bottom fabric is wrapped around the lower aluminum and glued to the cove strip. The upper fabric is glued to the bottom of the V trailing edge and overlaps the fabric on the cove strip. A standard ribstitch reinforcing tape is laid over the cove strip and nailed in place, then taped. With symmetrical ailerons this area is much simpler, some used a cove strip and some just left it open.

Quick Reply