0-290 D Prop on a CB-1

Discussion in 'Waco & Hatz' started by sarpysam, Sep 2, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating:

1. Nov 8, 2018 at 12:20 PM #21

Dana

Dana

Dana

Whether it performs well or not it would be a good data point. Whether it's a "major change" is somewhat murky, depending on whether it has an "appreciable effect" on performance or powerplant operation. I have the older op limitations which say that a major change invalidates the airworthiness certificate, so I'd have to apply for a new AWC with updated operating limitations (and new test area), though I should do that anyway.

But I may also determine that based on ground testing, there will be no "appreciable effect". We'll see. It may not happen until next spring, if I still have the propeller at that time.

Regarding the AD, I'm not clear on how big a scratch they consider a problem that has to be dressed out? Nicks, yes, but scratches? Only inspection is required on a 125HP O-290-D like mine, but if the prop is on a 135HP O-260-D2 then replacement is required at 500 hours and there is an "avoid continuous operation between 2450-2500 rpm" limit.

2. Nov 8, 2018 at 1:22 PM #22

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

I say get the operating instructions updated so it is just a notification and phase 1 flights. That way any changes don't have to be inspected. As for is it a major change right now, like is the operable word. I almost threw your SD prop on my friends Grumman for a one flight see how it compared with the McC.

3. Nov 8, 2018 at 2:03 PM #23

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

I couldn't find the 500 hour replacement AD on the FAA AD data base? Only the old 1954 AD which applies equally to both D & D2 engines? Maybe a SB?

4. Nov 8, 2018 at 4:30 PM #24

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

Service bulletin is remove at 500 hrs; AD is only 25 hr inspection. 25 hr is suppose to be a big enough pain to create incentive to get rid of it. Being a homebuilt, I don't see why the owner can't inspect it. He is compiling with the AD and it is not on a certified plane so it does not require a license. Documented in the log is all that is needed. I would have to think about changing it in time, too, but the AD is 1954; it has lasted a long time. Nicks and scratches are bad, buff them out.

5. Nov 8, 2018 at 6:45 PM #25

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

These props have been providing great service for a Looooooooooooooong time contrary to the SB. Is the SB Piper or Sensenich? If Sen. I wonder why they continue to take your $1K to keep OH'ing them:rolleyes:? If Piper it simply doesn't apply to anything else.

In my case I've been complying with the SB every 10-15 hours....every condition inspection anyway, or sooner if I find a nick.:rolleyes: I don't remember the last nick, just don't seem to find them doing run ups on grass

6. Nov 8, 2018 at 7:03 PM #26

Dana

Dana

Dana

I know, I'm not real worried about it, just something I might do only if it's free or cheap. Though I might go with a wood prop, less weight and just looks right on a Hatz.

7. Nov 9, 2018 at 8:33 PM #27

Michael Stinson

Michael Stinson

Michael Stinson

If you want an easy way to check your tach, there are digital tachs for RC that would give you a really good idea. There are also cell phone apps that do the same thing and match very closely.

8. Nov 9, 2018 at 11:27 PM #28

Dana

Dana

Dana

I've got a model tach. Not digital though, an old Heathkit "Thumb" Tach.