• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

0-360 Exhaust Needed

craigw

Reaction score
I need an exhaust system for a Skybolt 0-360. Anyone got a good one?
Craig Wolter 907-223-6605.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I wish I was close I would build you one. If you can do any fabrication at all I would say buy some flanges, some bendsand a collector and build a 4 into one. it has to be super simple since planes do not have clearance issues like racecars. I would say do it cheap with mild steel and send it out to be coated. So how is the Skybolt anyway, did you get it home? Fly it much? I will get you right this week on our deal.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I built my own from mandrel bends and a collector from Headman Headers. Two into one on each side is not as efficient as two into one cross over style and four into one is said to be best. Four individual pipes works well if you can stand the noise.

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Raven are building a 4-1 exhaust for the 360 now. Not sure of cost, but worth asking.

taff

Supporting Member
Reaction score
craigw said:
I need an exhaust system for a Skybolt 0-360. Anyone got a good one?
Craig Wolter 907-223-6605.

Hello guy's. It's been a long time....had a little sickness. But I am back in action and hope to get the Skybolt fuselage powder coated this year and start covering......Purchased wheel pants and a couple other things while we were at Sun & Fun (Paul and the Steen guy's are great and it was good to see the yellow one fly at lunch times :)...Anyway.

Hi Craig.
I was looking around for the same thing (O-360).
I tried that kit, Aircraft Exhaust Inc. (and you buy plastic tubing at the hardware store and elbow joints etc) I personally couldn't cope with that.

A couple of the guys at the airport are building RV's and lent me the exhaust systems , that I could try for fit.
Both systems worked kind of. The cross over is for a 7 and the 4 singles system is for the 4.
I liked the 4. Sent a request to Vans and asked them to make extentions for the outlet. You will need extensions for the exhaust to clear the exit.

Below are pictures of the systems.
These pictures are of the systems lent to me. Since these pictures, I haveinstalled the system with the support brackets.
If you want, I can go search for the invoice and let you know the cost?

Cheers. Eric.

craigw

Reaction score
Eric, I have an RV-7 that I built a few years ago. The exhaust system has been great, so.... I uncowled both planes and measured and it looks good. Vetterman shiped a system with extensions that should be here and installed this week. Thanks for the info, I'll let everyone know how it works. The cost was $800, not too bad for a good system that is supported by great folks. Craig

taff

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Craig.
Yes, the system from Vans was Vetterman, about $800.00.
These are pictures of the intsallation.

Cheers. Eric.

Edited by: Eric Ashman

darylat8750

Reaction score
Eric,
Love that shiny firewall. Methinks you may need more outlet area.

taff

Supporting Member
Reaction score
darylat8750 said:
Eric,
you may need more outlet area.

Hi Daryl.

I have kind of the same idea!

Probably will have to see if I can sniff the exhaust when I am all done. If so, I will send off for a couple more (longer) tail pipes.

Eric.

Latest posts