• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

160hp o-320 0smoh

bjkirby2000

Aerobat, Hawk-XP, Lancair Super-ES, Smith MiniPL
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are out and about maybe you know someone who is looking for a Experimental O320-B1A 160 HP, 0Smoh New fly wheel and light weight starter bendix mags. Asking $9500.00

BJ

image-2689072153.jpg

image-2713677770.jpg

image-1096570711.jpg

Last edited:

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't appear that way. An orange ring around the base of the cylinder normally denotes a chrome cylinder.

tferraro

Reaction score
The orange paint on the fins indicates it is chrome cylinders.
Blue is nitrided (factory new), green is oversize. Typically this is where they paint the colors on the lycoming engines.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know what, you're exactly right, I was thinking of all the contenental 520s I usually stare at. They put the color around the base of the cylinder.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the shop that did the cylinders. I've seen orange on the base of Lycoming cylinders too. Color on the fins is typical though.

That Standard Flange (narrow deck) conical mount engine is the lightest 160hp package going for a builder who is being super weight conscious. Converting to Slick mags saves a little weight as well.

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes they are chromed. It is indicated by the red on the fins. According manual it can be at the base or on the fins. Red or Orange is acceptable. BJ :)

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
is that WC's old motor ?
Nope-WC's O-320 motor is running like a clock. I left WC's name on the fuselage of the Super Smith Miniplane and he flies at least once a week with me. What a sweet airplane. Now it has smoke! :D

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry Larry for the delay in my response.

When I bought the airplane it had lettering on the cowling that read, "Super Smith Mini". I took it as "Awesome" or "Great". The German's who manufactured the airplane had enough respect for Frank Smith and his dream plans NOT to register it as a DSA-1 since they changed the wing and aileron designs so much. Mine is recorded as a "Hawk Biplane" named after the boys' last name, "Hawkins". Could you imagine how many fewer Pitts Specials we'd have if those who shoe-horned changes into Curtis' plans had named their planes something other than Pitts?

"Super"? Miniplane in a Cape! I like it!

Last edited:

Latest posts