• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1940 J-3 Cub for sale

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I am thinking about selling my 1940 J-3 Cub if anyone here is interested. I am doing some different stuff and I know I will miss this bird. If I sell the Cub I will keep my Model 12 and if I sell the 12 I will keep the Cub. This is a very nice J-3, not your average beat up Cub.
Completely rebuilt in 1996 by John Monnett (Sonex guy) EAA hall of fame builder. Not just recovered but rebuilt. New spars and all. 680 hours since rebuild.
A75 engine and wood prop 280 SMOH
12 gallon main and 12 gallon wing tank. Wing tank lets you solo from front or back seat.
I looked for awhile and this was the nicest Cub I could find.
$40,000
979-451-3251 or [email protected]

Last edited:

cwspilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the looks, history and price it should have. Nice bird!

cwspilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I already didnt have the 3 of my planes I'd jump on it. Looks nice.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Can we stuff it with about 20 or maybe 35 more HP? I'm serious......Bill

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO a J3 with bigger engine/more fuel is almost an oxymoron unless a 10,000' DA is your norm......and/or long X-C is your norm which is another J3 oxymoron.....:D

If you want Cub wow factor, get a Carbon Cub w/O360

Jack

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I find it difficult to enjoy an airplane that only climbs at 2-300fpm on a hot day with two large adults aboard. If I ever own a J-3 I hope it has an O-200 in it. To me a 65hp J-3 is next to useless in Florida in the summer other than for solo flights and even then the fun is limited.......

crankyklingon

Reaction score
I find it difficult to enjoy an airplane that only climbs at 2-300fpm on a hot day with two large adults aboard. If I ever own a J-3 I hope it has an O-200 in it. To me a 65hp J-3 is next to useless in Florida in the summer other than for solo flights and even then the fun is limited.......
I just did 4.5 dual in a 65 horse Cub in Florida in August.
Yeah.
Over at Winter Haven with Tim Preston, he also offers instruction in a Stearman. Biggest drawback to that type of training is the low number of landings you get per hour because you have to fly a fairly large pattern to reach altitude before it's time to start landing again!
I may have a go at the Stearman when it's time for a BFR.

smutny

Biplane Addict
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
......and/or long X-C is your norm which is another J3 oxymoron.....:D
I'm going to be taking a C-90 powered PA-11 on a 700 mile air tour this summer with our local antique club. Looking forward to it, took the Eagle last time and think the low-n-slow crowd had more fun!

raymoeller

Reaction score
When I did my tailwheel endorsement in the Citabria we kept it tight and got lots of landings in.. sometimes up to 5 at a crack! I bet the highest we climbed was 500 ft, but then again, nothing but farm fields on 3 sides of the airport.

Reaction score
Overweight J3's are just a way to get in the air. The best J3's are C85 no electric, no extra tank in the 725 lb range. 800 plus pound J3's are for private owners who fly mostly solo.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't want wing tanks, there's no point once you get it home. There was an experimental J-3 with an O-200 for sale in northern Florida I really wanted but it was overweight so I only cried a little went it sold fast and I missed it.........

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I just did 4.5 dual in a 65 horse Cub in Florida in August.
Yeah.
Over at Winter Haven with Tim Preston, he also offers instruction in a Stearman. Biggest drawback to that type of training is the low number of landings you get per hour because you have to fly a fairly large pattern to reach altitude before it's time to start landing again!
I may have a go at the Stearman when it's time for a BFR.
Pattern altitude in a Cub??? I have owned this Cub for 3 years and never had it above 500agl. Usually I fly at 250 feet. I just make a tight little turn and land it. I have never seen anyone in a regular traffic pattern in a J-3

Latest posts