• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

1966 S-1D Refresh for Reno

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamSwift

Registered Users
Reaction score
Folks,

Here's the story on my off-season work to make the #3 Smokin' Hot™ Pitts a bit faster, and a bit safer.

As some of you know, we shattered the prop on #3 last year while racing in the final Biplane Gold race at Reno. While I didn't know it at the time, I had also nearly blown the engine (may have been related to one another). I declared the "Mayday-Mayday , Race 3, Runway 26" over the Race Control frequency and pitched out of the race, made a right-270 and landed back on Runway 26. Once back in Tennessee, the plane sat idle in my hangar from September through March as I had sick parents to attend to (Dad ultimately passed in January). Thinking I was finally getting "ahead" of the game to prepare for Reno, we started to look at reassembly and modifications in late March/early April.

We got a new prop from Catto to replace the broken one, this one was more specialized for the speeds we were running and RPMs we were turning, but I just had a funny feeling about strapping the new prop on and heading off to fly. I talked to Allen Barrett (Barrett Precision Engines) and he suggested that with the problems I had at Reno that it would be prudent to take the engine to him to have a look at the internals. My crew and I removed the engine and I drove it out to Barrett's facility on April 30. He said that if I had a spare four hours that I could watch the disassembly (sounds good to me). Unfortunately, with the first piece removed (oil sump plug), we immediately found metal. Not just powder-like pieces...full-on big pieces with jagged-edges and part numbers stamped! As the teardown continued my heart sank further and further. Metal everywhere. Clearly signs of detonation and thermal distress inside. I left Tulsa in a sour mood. I couldn't even tell my wife for two days and she's an avid air racing supporter. Ultimately, we made the decision to have Allen perform a full Major Overhaul and include some racing mods. We wanted power and reliability and knew that Allen Barrett was our man. To be continued....

IMG_4135.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

Latest posts

Back