• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

1969 Pitts S-1C For Sale in CT

m4187

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello All,

Unfortunately it's time to sell my Pitts and I thought I would post it here before I move it over to BS. It's a great little airplane, in conditional, ready to fly and have fun. It's a simple S1C without many bells and whistles but she's light with an empty weight of 780 # and that makes a difference!! A few forum members have owned this one and I'm sure they can attest to her performance. Some airplanes looks different in person vs how they show in photos but as I said she is currently flying, well looked after and looks great in person!! The price is $26,000

SPECS: N155MS Airframe TT 1407

Recover and rebuild in 2003 with Ceconite and DuPont

Lycoming O-320 1407 SMOH 72/75/65/75 with very low oil consumption
Sensenich Metal Prop M74DM
Inverted Fuel and Oil
Engine Driven and Electric Fuel pump
Raven Locking Tailwheel
Rotec Throttle Body
Lightweight Sky-Tec Starter
New brakes this year and rubber is in good shape
Canopy and Floor glass
Sighting Device
Icom Handlheld wi†h PTT

Nice matching Softie parachute included...

It's located in New Milford, CT

Feel free to call, text or email [email protected] direct for information as that's the best way to get a quick response. I'll do my best to keep up with forum replies but it will be slower.

Thanks!! Matt

IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0900.jpg
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_3132.jpg
IMG_3139.jpg
IMG_3151.jpg
IMG_3152.jpg
IMG_3317.jpg

Nateultimate10200

Reaction score
4 years ago maybe? I’m not exactly sure. Had a fuel issue. Which was fixed right away. Very nice airplane!

m4187

Registered Users
Reaction score
Probably when it had the fuel selector assembly replaced I imagine.. That was when previous owner had it. ;)

m4187

Registered Users
Reaction score
Forgot to put phone number in the original post.

Mmalone442

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine driven electrical system?

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
I used to own this plane a few years ago, didn't realize what I had till I went to OSH a few years later, it's one of the cleanest S-1's I've ever seen (the builder had already built one or two S-1's prior to this plane if I remember right). Initial climb out was 3,000fpm, lands great with the locking tailwheel, flies like a dream, and it only burned about 7gph during a sequence. Whoever ends up with this plane will be very happy, I still remember the first time I saw it, she's even prettier in person.

Jboatri

Reaction score
I used to own this plane a few years ago, didn't realize what I had till I went to OSH a few years later, it's one of the cleanest S-1's I've ever seen (the builder had already built one or two S-1's prior to this plane if I remember right). Initial climb out was 3,000fpm, lands great with the locking tailwheel, flies like a dream, and it only burned about 7gph during a sequence. Whoever ends up with this plane will be very happy, I still remember the first time I saw it, she's even prettier in person.
Wow! 3,000fpm initial climb with an O-320? That's amazing. I get about 1,500fpm with an O-320 at about 950 lbs take-off weight (empty weight is about 670 lbs - it's a very light S1-C). The engine is still breaking in, and I'm not convinced that I've found best speed/angle for climb, but even so, I'll have to pedal harder to hit 3k!

Last edited:

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The S-1C drawings show 2640fpm for a light 180HP airplane. 3000fpm seems a little optimistic for an O-320 based on that info.

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
Yes, but maybe possible on one of those -20 degree mornings up there. ;)
Best numbers I saw were in the colder months like Eric mentioned but I only ever flew it in below freezing conditions twice, my feet would get too cold after a while and it took forever to pre-heat the oil.

3000fpm initial climb out was what I saw in good weather, it probably held that for the first 1,000ft or so. I'm 150lbs and usually flew with the tank half full, so 775lbs empty, 165lbs for pilot/chute, 60lbs of gas, equates to flying at or below 1,000lbs, which gives it a power loading of about 6.66lbs per hp. I also think that all engines are different, some have a bit more on tap than others. Of the other three pilots I know who have flown this airplane, everyone one of them loved it, that's really the best way to some it up

Jboatri

Reaction score
Yep, several experienced Pitts pilots have flown mine and agree -- it's the most fun because it's the lightest they've ever flown. Yours must be a blast!

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
Yep, several experienced Pitts pilots have flown mine and agree -- it's the most fun because it's the lightest they've ever flown. Yours must be a blast!
Unfortunately it's not mine anymore, it's Matt's (M4187), I owned it a few years ago. It's a great plane and will make someone very happy. I have a takeoff video of the plane so people can judge the performance for themselves, gonna try to link it here. This was just a takeoff, not a pass, I think I used maybe 1,800-2,000 feet of runway prior to the zoom climb (just cause that's where my friend was standing)

https://www.instagram.com/p/skNpkSAt2g/

Jboatri

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not mine anymore, it's Matt's (M4187), I owned it a few years ago. It's a great plane and will make someone very happy. I have a takeoff video of the plane so people can judge the performance for themselves, gonna try to link it here. This was just a takeoff, not a pass, I think I used maybe 1,800-2,000 feet of runway prior to the zoom climb (just cause that's where my friend was standing)

https://www.instagram.com/p/skNpkSAt2g/
Man, it just sells itself! WHATTABLAST!! :)

What airport was that? Looks like a fun place.

Latest posts