• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

1980 Baby Ace For Sale

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok boys and girls I'm going to put this up to my good friends of the BPF before listing this publicly. The baby ace has been a blast to fly and a joy to own. Operating costs are very low, it needs nothing mechanically, runs great and is just a ton of fun to fly. I simply can't justify 2 single seat aircraft now that the ASIIS is done. This was a bit of a tool for me to keep current and have some fun while building. Selling this will allow me to run some gas through the ASIIS and finish the Russian thing. There is nothing wrong with it and it's a strong puller, I've put 45 hrs on it. I just did a condition inspection last month 6-2017 and it has 526 hrs TT airframe and engine. Engine continental A75. Since I bought it I installed new cylinder "eye brow" baffling, remade all the fuel hoses, removed the plastic oil press hose and installed a brass one, made a longer control stick, removed the smoke system (weight) and radio (weight). It needs a new float on the j3 style gas gauge but I have that and will install for the sale. Tires have slight dry rot, but great tread. Have 1 spare tire 8:00x4.....$$$ havent changed it to get more time out of it. Those that have cubs know those tires and tubes are expensive! She goes pretty good, climbs well for what it is, out runs a J-3 like its standing still :). All in all a super fun airplane to fly and a cheap airplane to own. I'll miss it.......

Pm here or mail: [email protected]

$14,500.00.

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1498607344.851529.jpg

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1498607353.916851.jpg

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1498607361.018248.jpg

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1498607369.050670.jpg

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1498607375.987241.jpg

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1498607382.736437.jpg

Last edited:

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of those times when being 6'5" really sucks.

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So the new lady kicks the old lady to the curb...

Wish I was in the market, already have two...I could see telling the wife I'm going to pick up another!

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Smiz, you took off the mask??😜
Of course, we are all dogs!!!
If I didn't have all the junk I've got....

bipe215

Reaction score
This is one of those times when being 6'5" really sucks.

I'm 6'5" and flew a Baby Ace that Knight Twister's dad built. The top of my head touched the wing. There was too much of me sticking out of that airplane.

Reaction score
I'm 6'5" and flew a Baby Ace that Knight Twister's dad built. The top of my head touched the wing. There was too much of me sticking out of that airplane.
Interesting. I'm 5'11" and my head hit the wing. You must have been jammed. I miss that airplane. Just found out that old airplane is on its way to North Dakota. Sorry Smizo for trashing your thread.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Haha no prob! Trash away! It keeps it at the top of recent posts ;). I'm 5-7 and fit perfect. Room to spare. Jimmy Proton is a bit taller than me but I'm not sure how much. I'm sure he will chime in. He is the only one besides myself to fly it.....

JimmyProton

Reaction score
I'm 6ft even. I fit fine. Fun airplane. It's a single seat cub with terrible control harmony...which makes it even "funner". I give it 2 thumbs up!

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Kt....... you don't know how Funny that actually is....... ;)

planegene

Reaction score
Hey Smizo
You forgot to tell them that it is signed by the late Paul Poberezny himself!
That is if you haven't washed it off by now!

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, yea forgot about that........ haha, yea you can still see it!

Mong

Reaction score
A Baby Ace represents the true homebuilders airplane....I loved ours, and recommend to any one that this is a good homebuilt to build or buy.......

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about keeping my eye open for one before Miss Smith became a full fledged aircraft. I think they are cute as the dickens. But now I'm like Chris, I have nothing else I'd rather be flying the my Smith so will pass for now but will pass this posting on to a couple of people I know that might get interested.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
price reduced...... $14,500.00

cynamonb

Reaction score
16524.jpeg
The Ace has moved on to a new home in sunny central Florida. Thanks Chris for taking such good care of her.

Come on down and visit sometime.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There it is! the non gender specific baby haha! I figured that bottle would be empty after that flight!!!! enjoy the bird, its a great airplane! when that 75 gets tired talk to steve about putting one of those little round engines on the front. now that would be cool!

Here was my adventure.....

https://www.biplaneforum.com/threads/1980-baby-ace-d.10256/

cynamonb

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. I almost bought a Baby Ace airframe with the thought of putting the 80 HP 5 cylinder on it. Who knows it may still happen.

Latest posts