• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

2 bearings wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Thomas

Reaction score
Ill have a couple soon. Not sure if they are servicable.
Going to replace them all in my S2C

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I meant new ones (undrilled)...:)

wassbiplane

Reaction score
Hi Beej,

We met in bartlesville 4~5 years ago I could send you pix of 2 types I have (new)

I assume yours are for riveting in ½ tubing--I have some Fafnir REF6W10 W/O 9150F----The outside of the shank measures 0.414----.021 smaller than the 21152
one wrap of .010 ~.012 shim stock would fix that. [email protected]--

Forgot how to PM

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Who was the engineer at Aviat that changed these in the first place and why isn't Aviat making proper bearings available at a discounted price?

Last edited:

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The C has a different system than the A & B models. All the torque tube rotation has to be taken up by two rod ends instead of four. The original rod ends were used and were a little short of the required angular motion when there were just two doing the job. The new set up requires uni-ball rod ends with +/- 15° of freedom instead of +/- 10°. The engineer screwed up by not changing the bearing when the design changed.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Are the bearings available from Aviat or are the aircraft owners having to use other suppliers for improper parts installed by the manufacturer?

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That I don't know.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I already bit the bullet and ordered 2 this morning. Thanks.

wassbiplane

Reaction score
OK, I'm confused---Looks like JGN ordered his bearings. Does Dan Thomas want 8??
Add'nl printing on box reads FAFLON A2492-4Y STAINLESS

Fafnir uniball.jpg

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think we have the Pitts guys jumping in talking about elevator control bearings; nothing to do with this thread. Start ya own thread!:p

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
.....and I thought everyone owned a Pitts!!!

christopher

Reaction score
.....and I thought everyone owned a Pitts!!!

Well, I do have a set of plans... :D Came with my BGL plans. Maybe some day... :cool:

I want one of these and one of those, oh and one of them there... ;)

Daniel Thomas

Reaction score
I am talking about the aileron bearing block bearing is this the same part your looking for?

Yes aviat have them.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, kind of like the line in the Eagles song ''Life in the Fast Lane''....''everything all the time''. Kermit Weeks is definitely an Eagles fan when it comes to AIRPLANES!!:)

I've tried to own ''one of each'' but I have to try to do it one at a time, dammit!! Christopher, having plans is a great start.

christopher

Reaction score
Morphewb said:
Christopher, having plans is a great start.
Yeah, They were a pleasant surprise. S1 is the notation in the corner. I believe they are early plans. Some of the pages are revsion D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts