• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

2014 Skybolt for Sale

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys this Skybolt is now for sale. But there are several things you or a prospective buyer needs to know. One the engine set for a number of yrs but was run about 4 times during the down time over a 15 yr period, until first flight last November 2014, it also has chrome cylinders and uses oil about one qt every 3 to 4 hrs, it also has two soft cylinders, IE: below 70 and their are no original log books for the engine, with the exception of what I have started, also there is some radio /alt noise at idle! So if I have not scared you off by now here are some of the good things.

The airplane is very well behaved on the ground, and fly's pretty straight in the air, all I have done in the way of acro is roll it! The guy that was going to do the aerobatics has been tied up all summer due to his job, and the few times he wanted to do it either the weather or forest fires prevailed The exhaust runs gray and dry and does not fowl plugs has plenty of power, the oil sample at 25 hrs came back normal and at 50.0 hrs also came back normal, so if it is not making metal I would hesitate to pull it apart and change the cylinders at this time as the engine does not leak any oil, plus the radio intercom and xponder work very well. Dave

Link to more pictures and information here on the Biplane forum

http://www.biplaneforum.com/showthread.php?p=130061#post130061

First flight Video.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYACRXl8ZlA&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

2014 Skybolt Phase I flight test complete 50.0 hrs AF. Lycoming O540- 250 h.p. about 500 SMOH engine has set for a number of yrs, but both oil samples came back normal . Wing Tank 9 gal, Main 29 gal, Val 760 Com /Intercom, KT-76A Xponder certified, PS-5C Inverted fuel, and oil system. Strobes, Nav, & Landing light. Oregon Aero Seats, Teledyde Bendix Factory OH Mags NEW PRICE $ 36.000 or offer, currently doing the second annual, yes it has been a year since it first flew. Come fly it or will deliver the airplane for expenses..Contact pvt msg Dave Baxter for details.

Last edited:

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'd buy it in a heartbeat and alternate it with my Acroduster if it wasn't for that darn tuition for my kid lol! That's a nice looking Bolt. I understand Glen may have had a little hand in building it?

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Brian, you are correct he did help my brother in law with many things along with some of the welding early on, as it has the handy short piece of streamline tubing welded to the upper vertical fin that allows one to push on it instead of the tail wires, I do believe that your airplane also has this Glen Olsen custom touch, and thanks for the kind words. Dave

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
2014 Skybolt For Sale Reduced Price. $ 36.000

I have received no calls or offers on this airplane, makes one wonder what they are really worth on the market in today's uncertain times. They are certainly worth the money, but without pilots ones with the money that want to kick loose, and the ability to fly them apparently the slice of the pie is pretty thin? I am not the only one, as several on Barnstormers have been posted and re posted several times with no joy. Dave

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For me the distance is a problem -- you're about as far away from SW Florida as you can get and still be in the lower 48. I have seen more than one possibility that I didn't act on for that reason.

RMaxwell

Registered Users
Reaction score
Same for me. Seems anything worthy of buying is just too far away. The only one close to me is in MS. I did go look at that one. Its in pretty rough shape for the price.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are good ferry guys out there. Personally if I was a serious buyer I'd fly out airlines, look it over...if I decided it was a deal id either hire a fully insured ferry pilot to bring it to me...you'd be surprised, it's not crazy high...or have the owner fly it to me. Distance isn't a deal breaker if quality is there. Distance does make for an obstacle, but one has to realize quality biplanes aren't a dime a dozen. Just my un asked for $.02. Good luck in the sale Dave, you will find the right guy and he will be getting a heck of a bargain.

ssmdive

Reaction score
For me the distance is a problem -- you're about as far away from SW Florida as you can get and still be in the lower 48. I have seen more than one possibility that I didn't act on for that reason.
What, a little XC concerns you? ;)

One day I want to make a ridiculous long XC. I just think I only want to make it one way.... I'd hate to fly all the way out there and keep thinking I had to fly all the way back.

gmann750

Reaction score
I have two guys I use and they are young ag pilots and very skilled, Id be happy to forward their info. Sammy Mason also has some good contacts to ferry stuff in from the west coast.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
In my case it's not the trip home that bothers, I have a friend who would (maybe) do that chore or at least part of it. It's the effort and expense of the trip to look at the airplane. If the airplane is EXACTLY what I've been hoping to find I'd make the trip. But in the case of the Skybolt it would only get a look from me if it was closer to home.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
In my case it's not the trip home that bothers, I have a friend who would (maybe) do that chore or at least part of it. It's the effort and expense of the trip to look at the airplane. If the airplane is EXACTLY what I've been hoping to find I'd make the trip. But in the case of the Skybolt it would only get a look from me if it was closer to home.
You have been looking for awhile. What are you wanting?

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"..........but without pilots ones with the money that want to kick loose, and the ability to fly them apparently the slice of the pie is pretty thin?......"

BINGO!

I fear it will only get worse? Medical reform might give a short reprieve but as us boomers fly west there will simply be fewer replacements/buyers. I also suspect a younger pilot with the $ might rather have a RV?

I've been looking @ Barnstomers twice a day for about 10 years..........Since I will sell at least one and maybe both planes in the next few years my hope is to see the market come back and IMO it's still getting worse. The only things immune seem to be Pitts Specials.

For example, IMHO my Tu-holer is now worth about 60% of it's value in 2007. One thing it does have going for it is LSA compliant but while giving up 80# of useful load makes it tight... it does expand it's market.

If I was ready to sell and had a relatively hot prospect, I'd go way out of my way to put his butt in the back seat!

Best of luck. Wish I was in the market, I've always looked forward to a coast-coast trip.

Jack

Last edited:

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You have been looking for awhile. What are you wanting?
I have been looking for almost two years. I have looked at four airplanes seriously and did not find what I'm looking for. The goal here is mainly to get and stay current for the day when my S-1 project is ready to fly. I will avoid any airplane that is going to become a project in the short term. I'd like a two place, four cylinder aerobatic and non-certified biplane. The ideal airplane would be an S-2E lightly built with either a 180 or 200hp engine and a FP prop. The two S-2Es I have looked at were both poor fits for my goals. One airplane has a poorly documented damage history and some potential problems I couldn't get good definition of. It also had a modified factory two-place canopy which was a negative to me. The other airplane has an IO-540 with a lot of unknowns and seven years of sitting in the hangar and not being flown. It has, so far, only been used as a single seat airplane so the front hole is incomplete. And it also has a bit of damage history. On the plus side it was set up as an open cockpit airplane which means no factory canopy to worry about. This second one is a project in terms of getting it ready for two-place use. One of the lower wings might have serious damage (after a ground loop and a cosmetic 'repair') which would require even more work and expense to resolve.

So Dave's Skybolt would serve for part of the mission but it would be more expensive to operate (although the get in cost would offset that). And it has a new airframe but it would not be an airplane I'd likely keep where the right S-2E would be a keeper -- even after the S-1 project was done. I'd also consider an ASII or even a Starduster but neither of those would be something I could see myself keeping long term. An Eagle would also be a possibility but I'd want more leg room which is going to be a project due to the way the interior is done. The right Eagle would also be a keeper but I know of none already modified to add leg room. Getting more leg room an an S-2E would be a lot easier to accomplish and would not diminish the airplane's value in the way gutting an Eagle's interior would.

In general nearly all these types of airplanes are flying on 25+ year old fabric. Many are also 1000+ hours since new so they have seen a lot of use and nobody has had a really good look inside in all that time.

So the search for the right one continues but I'd consider a less than perfect fit -- if I could make it fit me........

Last edited:

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds almost like a Skybolt (even Dave's at that) would fit your wishes. The 540 is a bit more to operate, but as little as these planes get flown, I can't believe that amount would be an issue. It sure looks to be a great build. I know the story about Steen designing it, was because he wanted a bit larger Pitts, that's why I bought one.

I guess in the end if you don't want a bolt, you don't want a bolt.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A Skybolt is not at the top of my list but, like I said, if it were closer I'd certainly go take a look and try it on for size. The money I'd save over a Pitts S-2E would buy a lot of fuel so the 540 isn't necessarily a deal-breaker.

I understand a Skybolt really isn't as roomy as its size would lead you to believe. I need leg room above all else, girth isn't much of an issue for me. I have never been in one so I'm going by what others have mentioned.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
not trying to sell a skybolt, Mine is very comfy for height, not girth. I am 5'11 ish, maybe a tad shorter, if one were any shorter say 5'9" one would have to have a cushion behind themselves, that's for the back. The Front seat is for a shorter person, a lot shorter, I would say it's almost cramped.

I burn about 10 an hour, cruise is less I guess (i haven't cruised more than 10 mins) , about 1/2 throttle and 120 MPH and 18-20 inches. A friend has one with a 180 hp, and doesn't like dragging his around tail low. I do like being on the STEP so the 540 works for me. The fuel I find a minimal cost, compared with Insurance, maintenance, parts, etc. Heck fuel is the lowest cost to owning/operating an airplane, unless you are flying the snot out of it. My plane was built in 1987 with a brand new Io-540, flown at airshows for 10 years by the builder then completely rebuilt in 2000 and now has a grand total of 367 hours TTAF and Engine.

Hardly flying the paint off. I would offer, fuel is the least cost to any of these planes, however painful the bill is on a Saturday of flying.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If I was only 5'11" I wouldn't worry about fitting in an airplane, most of them would fit without modification. At 6'5" there are very few that truly 'fit' and many that are impossibly small and cluttered making it a no-go. Add a chute to the equation and it gets even worse. That said, back in my youth I was able to squeeze into a stock S-1S with a chute. That same airplane today would be a no-go with a chute mainly because I'm about 40 years older and a lot less flexible. I'm also unwilling to be that uncomfortable these days -- life is too short to be miserable if you can avoid it.

I'm less worried about fuel burn than I am about the fit. And yes Jack, I'll need to try on a Skybolt but they are all different. Many of the airplanes (Acrosports, Stardusters, Skybolts and Pitts) I see in ads are setup only for shorter pilots with big throttle quadrants, instruments and avionics mounted where my body parts need to be. Buying an airplane that would have to be reconfigured to that extent is not attractive to me as there is no guarantee I'll get to a happy place. Moving the pedals forward is about all I care to do and that only because it's pretty much unavoidable.

And having a useful front seat would be nice too.........

skyboltone

Reaction score
I will avoid any airplane that is going to become a project in the short term.
Amen to that brother. I just never seem to get it through my skull how much time it's going to take me to get a "minor" rebuild back into the air. My hope is to get my SA-100 going by spring or early summer next year. I would rather be flying now though.

Skybolt205WD

Reaction score
2014 Skybolt For Sale Reduced Price. $ 36.000

I have received no calls or offers on this airplane, makes one wonder what they are really worth on the market in today's uncertain times. They are certainly worth the money, but without pilots ones with the money that want to kick loose, and the ability to fly them apparently the slice of the pie is pretty thin? I am not the only one, as several on Barnstormers have been posted and re posted several times with no joy. Dave
Yikes. I hope my wife doesn't see this. I have over $50,000 and about 2000+ hours in mine and I am just now spraying color. That is a good looking 'Bolt so my guess is the builder is similarly situated when it comes to investments of money and time. Building the Skybolt is the worst financial investment one can make. At the same time, for me at least, it has been the best over all investment of my time and money I can think of. Countless hours in my workshop, mostly alone, listening to the Cards win two world series (should tell you how long I have been at it) and listening to a pile of books on CD, all while working away on the Skybolt. I would not trade it for a new S2B (assuming they started building them again.) :)

Latest posts