• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

3-Piece Top Wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score

Hi folks,
I was asked for some details on the 3-piece top wing modification to my Skybolt, so here you go:
The mod was done before Steen offered it as an option, and is adapted from the Starduster/Acroduster designs. My dad was working for Starduster at the time, and he liked the 3-piece design for several reasons:
1. Easier to handle the shorter wing panels than one 24' wing in our home shop (garage). This will again be a benefit now that it's time to re-cover.
2. The cabanes don't crowd the front cockpit and windshield.
3. Larger capacity aux fuel tank in the center section (22 gals).
He also used the Starduster/Acroduster aileron hinge design and moved the hinge piont aft to reduce the lateral stick forces without using spades.
Here is a photo that shows the front windshield removed, front 'pit cover installed, and rear sliding canopy off.

20060828_101825_SKYBOLT.JPG

Edited by: Eric

Latest posts

Back