• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

3D Cad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-KEST

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'm guessing that a lot of builders are using 3-D CAD to generate shapes for patterns and templates.
I have built my Pitts S1 almost entirely using 2D CAD (Autocad LT) to print out paper templates to stick onto materials for accurate marking out.
I am trying to upgrade to 3D CAD (it's hard for my '35-years of doing 2D CAD' brain, I still type CIRCLE when I want a circle) and for a while used the EAA's offer of free Solidworks. However they have changed this to a web-based version which I absolutely hate. Every time I go into the software (once I've re-found the URL), it wants to do very time consuming updates.
Does anybody have recommendations for 3D CAD packages. I don't mind paying a reasonable license fee, but ideally it should be desktop-based rather than cloud-based so I know where I left it.
Ideally it should be compatible with Solidworks for file sharing, etc.

Many thanks indeed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back