• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

3rd Class Medical or BasicMed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was due for a new medical this month. At my age, I need a new one every two years.

I'm in good health, with no disqualifying concerns, but looked at BasicMed for the first time in any depth. It seems for most of us, there is little practical difference between a 3rd Class and BasicMed.
  • You get four years from BasicMed, or five years (under 40) or two years (over 40) for a 3rd Class.
  • Any doctor can sign a BasicMed, but you need an AME doctor for a 3rd class. You might get a BasicMed for free as part of a regular checkup.
  • You have to take an online class to maintain your BasicMed every two years.
  • You must have a driver's license to use your BasicMed.
  • You can't do commercial operations (towing, ferry, etc.) with BasicMed, but you can instruct.
  • You might be *able* to get away with some medical conditions under BasicMed, although it wouldn't be legal or likely prudent.
  • You must have held a 3rd class medical at some point, and not currently denied/revoked.
That's the notable differences that I can tell. There are finer details that probably aren't significant for $100 hamburgers.

So, I returned to my original AME, and got both a 3rd Class and BasicMed from him. Belts-and-suspenders! I figure in two years I'll let the 3rd class expire and make sure I've got all of BasicMed's requirements up to date.

What do you all think of 3rd Class vs BasicMed?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back